Bowhunters advice

Hey to all on bladeforums.
Im into bows i have a couple here .
Theres a rubbish selection here in ireland .
So i have been looking online alot .
I like the look of the bear bows they seem reliable anyone use one or have any other recommendations i currently use a take down samick 60lb recurve.
But id like a bow i could hunt with a one piece the super mag 48 .
And the grizzly im not very tall and a lefty .
Any input.or advice would be appreciated

Ok ... I can't offer alot in the area of recurve I have an old one that was my dad's but it's the only recurve I use.

Good luck in your search ... I think there should be some recurve bow hunters on here.

I have a Bear 48(can’t recall if it’s a super mag) recurve. It’s s joy to shoot but I’m not capable of ethically hunting with it yet.

If you want to jump right to the top of the field then check out Black Widow Bows, I think you’ll be happy to see the amount of choices you’ll have. I have a nice 3 piece takedown from the 70’s that still shoots like new, they make great bows- used to do it for the Olympic team.

Get the longest bow you are comfortable with, at minimum 58 inches.
The short bows are cool, but there's a reason why not a lot of them were made.
Longer recurves are a lot more forgiving and comfortable, not as long as a traditional longbows, 62 inches is about as long as I like in a recurve.
More limb movement and less hand shock, and no finger pinch.
The super mag was neet but not a bow to start with, to hard to shoot, everyone I knew that got one gave up, the people who could shoot it, could already shoot a bow, and we're willing to put up with the pain and the lack of comfort, (finger pinch, elbow pain, wrist and hand pain from the shock, and I always got a pain in the top of my right shoulder) JMO.
As for hunting, not sure of the regs in Ireland, but you don't need 70 pounds to hunt, here (Ohio) 40 will pass, and I hear someone I know got a shoot through on a nice doe with a 20 and a good sharp broadhead.
Why not just use the samik? I've shot them, decent bows, get some grizzly broadheads and sling some wood.
Judo points are great, and get a fletching jig, a single will work, look up a YouTube vid and make some arrows, it's cheaper, and bipasses all the or lack of selection.
I'm betting 3 rivers will ship to Ireland.
If it has to be a bear, the Kodiak Hunter(60 inch) is a great bow, only bear bow I regret selling, I've had a bunch, I do have a nice bearcat still that shoots great.
A Kodiak magnum (52 inch) for fishing, otherwise can't stand it, to harsh, but good in a canoe.
I guess if I had to say what's the most important part of shooting a traditional bow, after reading my post again, comfort, if the bow is harsh, or hand shoky (70s and 80s black widow, the short ones) or any short bow, kind of, comfort is up there.
Learning to shoot, and I don't mean just proper technique, it is important, but not the end all, but shooting enough that it's like pushing in a clutch when you hit the brakes, comforts important
If you think it's going to hurt every time you draw the bow, it'll suck, and you won't do it. Learning to shoot is uncomfortable anyway, all the muscle pain from shooting for hours, the blisters and string slaps on your forearm, the pain in your neck and back from the hours you'll spend looking for arrows in a cut grass yard.
Bright fletches to start, and at least one always. The bent stance and the canted hold on the bow are for comfort, ease of pull, and movement, but still, uncomfortable at first.
Good luck,

Last edited:
I have a Martin Super Diablo that I have shot for years. Very nice bow, 60” and handles well in the woods. Martin has several models that I think would be a good fit for you, depending on your budget.

They made a 58 inch that was the mamba, I think, nice bow, but lot of people got 65 and 70 pound ones and they sucked. made them hard to shoot, not just the poundage, got real harsh after about 60 pounds.
Almost like they wanted to twist in your hand because of the grip .
Never shot the diablo

65 to 70, no need for that. Mine is 50 @ 28” and that’s plenty imo. Very rare individual who can pull 70 and shoot accurately for real.

If you can judge range reliably, or have a rangefinder, know what range your group will not spread past 6 inches, then all you need is the right arrows and broadheads. Unless you want a new bow, just because you can. Its a bad idea to have too much gear, especially when hunting, you want to live and breath your gear.
I'll be honest, if you can comfortably shoot 60lbs enough that you can get your six inch group to hold out to 30 yards or so, then all you need after that is to be sneaky. There are very few who can ethically shoot to the 40-50 yard range without very fast compound bows, and even then, a deer can still jump the string and ruin your shot. If anything I'd be thinking getting lighter limbs for the riser you have so that you can hold a shot for longer, 30 sec to a minute, rather than heavier so that you might take the risk of rushing.

Back