"Bowie in Damascus, Box Elder Burl, and Hockey Puck"

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Now that I have your attention, I just wanted to say that I found a hockey puck in the street the other day, and I plan to test it as a handle material. I cut a piece of it off, sanded it flat, then glued it to a piece of wood. I will give it 24 hours to allow the bond to reach full strength, then I will test it by throwing it against a brick wall, and just keep throwing it against the wall to see if it will fail. If stall mat can be handle material...

BTW, I used slow set epoxy and made divots in both surfaces before joining them. The puckey chunk being tested is 1.25" in length, and 7/8" wide. The puck was marked "Summit, In Glas Co., Official, Made in Slovakia."

6793364551_0dd11606b5_b.jpg

I will return and report.

I've been playing hockey for over 35 years. Pucks don't last forever. Old pucks show lots of wear. But then again they get massively abused on the ice. Interesting idea for handle material. I'm interested in how your test goes.

I've never met a hockey puck as wide as my hand. Other than that, it sounds like a good idea.

I've never met a hockey puck as wide as my hand. Other than that, it sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking of using it in a stacked configuration, in combination with light-colored wood, or maybe antler. You know how sometimes the Scandinavian knives will have stacked materials?

harding-new.jpg

On the other hand, a person could just stack layers of hockey puck, for an all-rubber handle. I just don't know how it would look, or how the grip would be. Might look low-class; might look nice. Might have good grip, might not.

Tonight I took my glued-together puck/wood combination, and I pitched it at a brick wall as hard as I could, three times. It is still glued together. No sign of joint failure. I guess the rubber works well with epoxy.

Back