Bowie Sheath Question...

How do the Bowie sheaths work if they are called leather stud type with frog? How does it attach to you belt, pack, etc?

Thanks,

shane

you use a leather hanger which is called a frog - there are several styles of frogs - Here's just one example -
front-3.jpg

front-2.jpg

I'll ride on the coat tails of this question and ask. On the Bowie sheats with the silver throat and tip, how is the silver held to the leather sheath?

Tandy sells those posts in two styles, one with a rivet type back ( tap the two together with mallet), the other screws into the post.

I'll ride on the coat tails of this question and ask. On the Bowie sheats with the silver throat and tip, how is the silver held to the leather sheath?

This is usually done with epoxy and pins from the back into the leather. Dave:)

Thank you Dave. Will the pins be visible on the back? Could they be soldered and cleaned up so as to not be noticable? John

Generally the pins are peened over on the back and sanded flush on the front. I would think that soldering at that point might be a little rough on the leather.Dave:)

you use a leather hanger which is called a frog - there are several styles of frogs - Here's just one example -
front-3.jpg

front-2.jpg

Wow...this post is a year old already.....
Is that strap across the front the retention strap that goes over the guard, or does it serve another purpose?

Also, any chance of some pictures of the back side? I can't decide how I want to attach the horizontal/vertical sections of the loop.
Others?? Please chime in.
THANKS!!

Back