Bowie Thickness

I have several Bowies that I enjoy of all lengths and thickness,
but this question pertains specifically to Bowies in the 9.0" blade length.
I really liked big ole choppers 1/4 thick.

1/8 thick at first, I thought just didn't look right on a 9.0" blade length Bowie,
but became fond of it after using it for awhile.

Recently got my hands on a 5/32 9.0" long Bowie I thought this might be pushing the boundaries to nonsensical,
for any practical reason for a 9.0" Bowie style blade this thin...other than ones own strange preferences.

Does a 5/32 Bowie make any sense...is it even considered a Bowie at that point?
BTW the one I have 5/32 is quick as a whip in hand even though 9.0"...I do like that!!

Last edited:
my 8" blade is 5/16
I think though, it becomes a compromise between size and weight

I'm really not following the logic....

the op was fine with 1/8", but somehow an extra 1/32" thickness is pushing the thinness boundaries?... 1/8" is thinner than 5/32"

in any case, sure whynot? 1/8" works for a large size range... if you plan on chopping hardwood with it continually, I'd say you might want to go a bit thicker :)

if you plan on chopping hardwood with it continually, I'd say you might want to go a bit thicker :)
Yes !

Depends on your use . Heavy chopping on hard materials , go thicker .

General utility and especially fighting , go thinner . ;):thumbsup:

Without distal taper is where it’s at for a good bowie
A good bowie made from 1/4” stock can be made to weigh close to what a Bowie knife made from 1/8 stock weighs when it is just profiled to shape. Tapers, swedges, full width flat grinds, fullers and cutouts under the handle, will get the weight down fast and produce a knife that stiffer and more effective.

n2s

Back