Bowie To Show

I wanted to show this one before I shipped it out. I bought a piece of pyroceram to line my platen and this is the first flat ground Bowie I have made in years.

I forged it from a Dodge leaf sping. The blade measures 10in and has a brass guard and buttcap with a red stag grip sandwiched between.

The blade has a satin finish applied by the use of cork belts.

The knife, while slightly under 5/16" at the spine, is very light and quick.

Greg Covington
Bladesmith

bowie10.jpg

Great Job Greg. :cool:

I love the glass on the platen too, really makes a big difference.

Bill

that pryo glass gets grooves in in after a couple of knives. i bought several pieces so i hammer and grind the old one off.i am now playing with putting grafite cloth on the glass.

Very nice indeed! I just got a piece of pyro-ceram today, and that bowie of yours gives me the inspiration to go put it on right now! Beutiful grind on such a long blade.

Very sleek bowie :)

Laurence, not sure what kind of glass you got, but I've got about 50 blades on mine with nearly zero wear.

Nick

Nick, I've noticed the same thing on mine, grooves after a couple of knives. Maybe it's the type of grinder(Burr King 960), allowing abrasive particles to be deposited on the inside of the moving belt. All I know is, the grooves are there.:confused:

Could the "grooves" some are seeing actually be slight ripples or imperfections in the glass that was there before mounting. I was occasioanlly getting some imperfect pieces from our cutter, and didn't see them before shipping them out, but believe we have that worked out now. Not that my paltens see a lot of use, but I can find no wear whatsoever since switching to pyroceram.

Steve, there is no wear on mine either, and I shouldn't really call them grooves, just two vertical, deep scratches, up near the top center of the platen. Running in the direction of belt travel(vertically). They appear to be about 60 grit.
I just went out to the shop and looked at the platen under magnification, and it appears to have been caused by the pyroceram itself flaking off at the very edge of the radius that I ground in it, to ease the belts way. :confused: Whether the radius should have been more gradual, or maybe I should have used a finer grit to smooth the top of the pyroceram(I used 120 grit), I just don't know at this time.
Just a thought, but the 120 grit finish on the top radius, could have left abrasive scratches deep enough that the peaks sheared off as the belt passed over them, causing the scratches. :confused:

Edited to add; These scratches in no way impare the ability of the platen to perform it's function, it's just something I noticed, and at the moment, it's merely cosmetic.

i run a hard core grinder and vertical grooves apear after heavy hogging etc. nick maybe there is a diff in manufactors were did you get yours?

I got my pyroceram from Steve.

I was shocked at how smooth flat grinding went compared to several other things I have attached to the platen over the years.

I did have a little trouble with "snake trails" on some JE weight 220 grit belts,,,,but I will have to check the butt splice to see how they were done.

Back