Box Cutter Unboxing and First Impressions

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Fit and Finish crisp clean plunge lines and grind lines. Handle scales are a good enough fit, although they do lap just a tiny bit beyond the tang. This is no problem, as the scales are made of a grippy medium-hard rubber and no hot spots should be anticipated.

Design for purpose: There is a sharpening choil which I think is unnecessary, but whatever. The overall design is ungainly and not well suited to purpose. I hate to say this because Kizlyar has a reputation for good design. The blade shape does not lend itself to choking up close to the tip. In fact, the blade is way too long, making it awkward to control the tip. I often open boxes by simply cutting the tape just enough so I can open the top of the box. And then if the box isn't too big, I throw it in the recycling bin. There are times, of course, when I need to break down the box. Admittedly, this knife may be capable of cutting up cardboard into smaller pieces. However the blade is annoyingly thick, and even with the long and well-designed handle, it is difficult to cut through cardboard while simultaneously holding that box securely with the other hand. Breaking down boxes with this thing is practically a two-man operation.

Overall impression: While this knife has some very good features, it is far inferior to other box cutters I have used. While it may look good in pictures, if you work in the shipping and receiving department, don't waste your money here.

Overall rating: Less than one star out of five.

Specifications
  • Total length (mm): 283 = 11.14"
  • Blade length (mm): 150 = 5.9"
  • Blade thickness (mm): 4.7 = .185"
  • Handle: Kraton with ABS base
  • Steels: D2
  • Blade Finish: Satin
  • Sheath: PA Fiber with Nylon MOLLE-compatible sheath

Make: Kizlyar Supreme
Model: Croc
MSRP: $175

Last edited:
Fit and Finish crisp clean plunge lines and grind lines. Handle scales are a good enough fit, although they do lap just a tiny bit beyond the tang. This is no problem, as the scales are made of a grippy medium-hard rubber and no hot spots should be anticipated.

Design for purpose: There is a sharpening choil which I think is unnecessary, but whatever. The overall design is ungainly and not well suited to purpose. I hate to say this because Kizlyar has a reputation for good design. The blade shape does not lend itself to choking up close to the tip. In fact, the blade is way too long, making it awkward to control the tip. I often open boxes by simply cutting the tape just enough so I can open the top of the box. And then if the box isn't too big, I throw it in the recycling bin. There are times, of course, when I need to break down the box. Admittedly, this knife may be capable of cutting up cardboard into smaller pieces. However the blade is annoyingly thick, and even with the long and well-designed handle, it is difficult to cut through cardboard while simultaneously holding that box securely with the other hand. Breaking down boxes with this thing is practically a two-man operation.

Overall impression: While this knife has some very good features, it is far inferior to other box cutters I have used. While it may look good in pictures, if you work in the shipping and receiving department, don't waste your money here.

Overall rating: Less than one star out of five.

Specifications
  • Total length (mm): 283 = 11.14"
  • Blade length (mm): 150 = 5.9"
  • Blade thickness (mm): 4.7 = .185"
  • Handle: Kraton with ABS base
  • Steels: D2
  • Blade Finish: Satin
  • Sheath: PA Fiber with Nylon MOLLE-compatible sheath

Make: Kizlyar Supreme
Model: Croc
MSRP: $175

Thanks for the warning!

I agree, that's a shitty design for box cutting...

I find Olfa box cutters to work perfectly for the purpose.

Yes.

I've had this one for more than 20 years. And it was already well used when it was gifted to me by an insulator when I was working offshore in the North Sea.

Works as fine as when I got it.

hPDyyDX.jpg

Back