Box Turtles

I went roaming the woods yesterday looking for whitetail sheds and picked up 7 box turtle shells, no antlers. Do any of you guys have any ideas on what these could be used for. I told my wife that if there was no good knife use for them, then I would clean them up and give them to her next christmas, should make for a nice set of bowls to go with our birch bark plates.

Just think Fitz, if you ever get back down this way, maybe you could have some of pud's chilli out of one. ;)

Bill

Bill how thick are they?
I know some guys use tortose shell :footinmou a big No No

I wonder how it would work on folders :D

Put some slate on 'em and make yourself a turkey call. :)

B . Buxton said:
Just think Fitz, if you ever get back down this way, maybe you could have some of pud's chilli out of one. ;)
Bill

I'll look forward to it, my friend. tell yer missus Nanc and I said hi!
I'll call soon.

Martha Stewart; She'd know what to do with'em. Anyone who will use the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving (spray painted gold of course) as "Santa's Sled" for Christmas is a resourceful scrounger. Hmmm, she sounds like a knifemaker actually.... :)

mitch

turkey carcass from Thanksgiving (spray painted gold of course) as "Santa's Sled" for Christmas is a resourceful scrounger. Hmmm, she sounds like a knifemaker actually
This is the funniest thing I have seen on saturday morning in a long time. This is a hoot!

Yes, turtles were dead and the shell was all that remained.These shells are the common box turtle, you know the ones that cross the roads all summer. There not very thick and pretty much a constant curve, I was wondering if they could be sliced, boiled in oil or something and then flattened with the press. If they could be flattened they would work for real thin folder scales or spaces. Are using these types of turtle shells Illegal??

Thanks I think :)

Bill

Back