Bradley Rc?

Our plan was about 62/63. Gayle Tested one and he said it was closer to 65. CPM-M4 can take the higer hardness if that's so. We'll be doing a sample testing next week.

sal

That's pretty insane. Even ZDP-189 doesn't score that high most of the time, does it?

Dennis

My ZDP knives tested from 63-64.5 RC. My CPM M4 Mule was 62.5 RC, and my Bradley will be tested after I get it so I can send it off. I plan on paying to get mine brought up to 64-66 RC, if it is already there I'll be extremely happy. From my experience with CPM M4 at 62.5-63 RC it can easily take a couple more points of hardness and still be very chip resistant and tough.

Mike

Last edited:
Our plan was about 62/63. Gayle Tested one and he said it was closer to 65. CPM-M4 can take the higer hardness if that's so. We'll be doing a sample testing next week.

sal

If that's the case I'm going to have to find a way to grab some. This shouldn't be a problem if it is as this is tough stuff. The grind on these isn't too thin either. It would be a dream come true for me. I like sharpening these at higher hardnesses too.

Thanks, I may have to get one, especially if it is at the higher Rc. I have heard good things about CPM M4.

Thanks, Sal. If they test as high as Gayle's, will you be changing the heat treat, or will future GBs have the same hardness?

If it is harder than 62/63 I hope they leave it up near 65 RC! I rebevelled mine to 9 degrees per side and polished it out to .05 microns and the steel sharpens up wonderfully with little to no burring. It gets WAY sharp, maybe even sharper than my Mule in M4, and it does so in quick time. The heat treat on this knife from the factory is wonderful for sharpening, I'm guessing from how it sharpens it will perform great as well given how my Mule sharpens great and performs great, and the fact that in my experience you can tell a whole lot about how a steel will work from how it sharpens up. Crisp, clean sharpening with hardly any burring and great sharpness at every grit along the way bodes well for the performance of the knife. It gets so sharp that is in a whole different category than mere hair whittling, it pops hairs in two from far away from the point of hold just by touching the edge to the hair, and it pulls off the tiniest curls of hair when you manage to whittle it instead of having the hair pop into two pieces when the blade touches it, and it really is impressive to see the edge this steel takes. Whatever RC mine is at it is very well heat treated for it to sharpen up so excellent.

Mike

I'm with you and would view 65 RC as a plus as opposed to 62-63. :thumbup:

Totally agree, based on many inputs. I am thinking of the super-hard Mules and hoping these M4 blades don't get throttled back (which they shouldn't need).

Back