Braided D-Guard

Recently, I emailed Strabs in regard to how to make the wonderful braided D-guards occasionally seen on Busse BM's and such. It is like the one that Eric as in the archive (the wide braid).

He was kind enough to call me up and help me through the braiding process; I couldn't have done it without him, and barely did it with him :D (thanks Frank!). The process isn't very complicated, but is quite hard to explain. I'll try to post a pictorial tutorial tomorrow, as well as more info.

Here are some pics (click on them for larger ones):

Gotta love that OD!

Sort of like jewelry or other adornments for your knife.:)

I saw a version that looked like this over on the Outdoor forum. Jeff made a belt like this and thought it was a great way to carry some extra cord around just in case.

Mark

Yes, Nimrod, that is true, but the main reason I wanted to put a D-Guard on was for chopping. I haven't had a chance to try this D-guard for chopping yet, but I think it will perform well.

If you guys want, I'll try to post a pictoral tutorial.

Andrew,
Great work and yes I'd like the tutorial. Even with Strabs help, via a post, I've been unable to master this thing ;):D

Woah! Very nice Andrew:D
It looks like you were even able to somehow sneak a fourth row in :eek:?!?!? I've only been able to get it three rows wide, but the way you tricked it out it looks even wider!!!:cool:

Glad to have been of some help,
Kev

I noticed that too Strabs, and I think I know why. It's hard to explain, LOL :D . Anyway, I think I know how not to do the fourth row if I wanted to, but it just adds to its effectiveness, IMHO.

I'll try to get the tutorial up tonight.

Andrew,
Looking forward to the tutorial.

There must be a lanyard book that would have something like this, that could be adapted, say a Boy Scout merit badge pamphlet, one of those kid's project books by Klutz, Ashley's Book of Knots, etc.???

Well, I just took some pics of the various stages of the braiding process. For the purpose of demonstration, I've used a piece of wood with two holes drilled in the side (talon and lanyard holes ;) ) to represent the handle of a Busse.

You'll need about 12' of cord or so. Just follow the pics (carefully follow them, you have to get the cords in the right order, left to right; the pics should show the order). After step 5/5b (same step, just 5b is zoomed in), make the three cords that go through the talon holes as tight as you want your D-Guard (maybe a little looser, as the guard will get thicker). BTW, the last pic is after a few of the braiding steps (they're identical) have been done, and partially tightened. The braid doesn't look at all right, but that's because it isn't tightened as well as you could do it on a real knife handle. You should tighten the pattern after ever braiding step (after all the cord has been passed through the talon holes; after the braid has been set up). Continue the braiding until the braiding goes to the bottom of the handle. I tied off the short end of the rope using just a simple knot (the knot kept it from going through the talon hole). The long end (the one you've been braiding) I also tied off, but not through the talon hole, as it would not fit through. You can do what works best for you here. Mine is plenty secure with just tieing however.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it. I think the pics and above commentary explain most of it, but if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

Here's The Tutorial Album (sorry about the pink backgrond :mad: ) .

Andrew,
Thank you for taking the time on this. I haven't looked all the way through yet, but from what I've seen I think this will finally show me how to do this braid right :D:D

WOW, Nice job! I really like the additional width on your guard. Thanks for posting the pics...

Thanks Andrew!:D

I like this version better than the "three row", but was never able to figure it out. Thanks for posting this!

Rich

BTW, if you haven't tried it already, after the initial click on a step to get a larger picture, you can click again for a HUGE and highly detailed pic of it.

Hey jgeesen! Thanks for stopping by, you should stick around :D . Strabs told me how you taught him how to do it. Thanks for sharing the knowledge; it is spreading!

BTW, I thoroughly commend you on figuring this pattern out! I could barely do it with constant help!

Thanx, Andrew, for the pat on the back.
I'm pretty lazy on the computer. I only sent Strabs a few pictures and he figured it out himself! That is quite a feat.
I bet Jerry could motivate me to document the process so he could add another Nuclear page to his website. Who knows, in the future, all Busses may be sold with 12' of 'Busse Cord' and well detailed instructions on a do-it-yerself D-guard.
A large INFI e-handled blade of some variation (without a recurve edge), which has been glass beaded, then thrown in the deburr/vibrator machine for a few hours or days to get that 'stone washed' look (which I love) and to close the pores that the glass beading creates (which aids in rust prevention), then glass bead the flare rivits instead of or after the countersinker tool. Now that is what I would call 'motivation'. Of course, a custom Kydex sheath with a relief for the D-guard would come in handy. I ain't picky about the handle color, but a laser etched Busse logo would look good in the photos, as would a 'tactical' beer bottle cap remover/blade catcher. :D
Jerry - you might as well make it a limited production run, because everybody's gonna want one;)
John Geesen

:::ShakinMyHead:::

It's on badmojo... I'm off work and gonna get somethin to drink :rolleyes: :footinmou :rolleyes: :footinmou

Edit: I raised a thread for no reason. Sorry :footinmou

do we need a password/member account to open up the gallery by andrew lynch?
also, the other links that jgeesen set up dont seem to work, am i doing something wrong?

Back