Brands to stay away from

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a very broad question and will have alot to do with opinions but as a fairly new collector I'm always in fear of dropping alot on a bad brand. Just in general are there any big brands/ designers out there to just stay away from, Chinese made of course though. Im still learning about the big designs, Chris reeve, strider, darrel ralph etc, but since most of the names are unfamiliar I just don't want to spent $200-$400 on something that most people on here would never even consider because of a taboo or bad reputation. Not trying to start a big debate on who's the best and such, just wondering some names to avoid.

For reference the last few ive gotten were-
Benchmade Osborne
Microtech LUDT
Medford slim midi
Spyderco police

Strider really? See thats why I'm asking because I've been looking at strider and some of their collaborations and assumed they would be good.
Thank you!!

You should broaden your horizons and give WE and Reate a chance!

I was actually just reading up on WE knives and looking at some old threads where people were talking highly of them. Even with my little knowledge I still know the stigma of Chinese made, but seems like WE is building a good reputation.

Strider really? See thats why I'm asking because I've been looking at strider and some of their collaborations and assumed they would be good.
Thank you!!

Strider knives are an over priced and over hyped product by a felon named Micky Ray Burger who poses as a high speed low drag 'operator' that never did any of what he had claimed to do. His biggest hitch in any uniform was prison for 5 years, after which he re-invented himself as Mick Strider, special operations type bad boy.

Don't waste a single nickel on him.

China is putting out some solid stuff. Gone are the days where American companies outsourced cheap knives to China for rock bottom dollar and that’s all China made. Companies like WE and Reate are pushing the limits of production level tolerances. I’d even argue high end Reate and WE knives rival American mid tech quality.

I won’t list companies to stay away from, but I will tell you my most preferred brands:
1. Spyderco: makes the best knives for the purpose of cutting things. I never had a bad Spyderco knife.

2. CRK: Impeccable fit and finish for an American knife.

3. Hinderer: Hard use knives, very well built.

4. Liong Mah: Former chef turned knife designer, this man is putting out some great stuff (knives made by Reate, designed by him)

5. Benchmade: When I get a good benchmade, it’s a great knife... but I’ve been having lock stick issues as of late and haven’t been buying as many.

Thank you!!
Strider make excellent knives mate . The SnG is probably my favourite knife in hand. Under the latest M. Strider guise they have really stepped up their game . They are just not looked on favourably here - just search 'stolen valor' if interested . Check out usn if you want a pro-strider forum.

Strider knives are an over priced and over hyped product by a felon named Micky Ray Burger who poses as a high speed low drag 'operator' that never did any of what he had claimed to do. His biggest hitch in any uniform was prison for 5 years, after which he re-invented himself as Mick Strider, special operations type bad boy.

Don't waste a single nickel on him.
Agreed, the wannabe army ranger is the worst. Don't support stolen valor.

Strider make excellent knives mate . The SnG is probably my favourite knife in hand. Under the latest M. Strider guise they have really stepped up their game . They are just not looked on favourably here - just search 'stolen valor' if interested . Check out usn if you want a pro-strider forum.
I wouldn’t search “stolen valor” to find it, that phrase has been thrown around a lot here on the forum lately.
Probably better if someone links the sticky from Spark.

Thats all really good to know and I appreciate the help, ive truly been looking at some strider knives, so glad I asked. Is it safe to say that if BladeHQ sells it than its probably OK? I see alot of posts talking about that site so wondering if they keep to only good reputation brands?

Thats all really good to know and I appreciate the help, ive truly been looking at some strider knives, so glad I asked. Is it safe to say that if BladeHQ sells it than its probably OK? I see alot of posts talking about that site so wondering if they keep to only good reputation brands?
BladeHQ is a retailer, not a knife reviewing website. Their goal is to make a profit. They sell knives of all types. Knife preference is a personal journey. Some brands people here will swear by and others will criticize. But BladeHQ has a robust reviews section for popular knives. It’s generally a good indicator of what most people think of highly purchased knives.

Personal preference will dictate a lot in this hobby. For example, I think Strider, Hinderer, & Emerson are overrated. I’d rather get a mid-tech for the money. Others obviously feel differently.

I would advise trying a bunch of different stuff to find what you like.

Last edited:
The question of brands to avoid can get ugly very quickly, as not everyone has a good experience with every maker, and really bad experiences can lead to really harsh words. There are several brands I avoid due to bad experiences, but I would rather list the ones that I have had spectacular first-hand customer experiences with:
  • Spyderco
  • Benchmade
  • Kershaw (KAI, which includes ZT)
  • Chris Reeve
  • Pro-Tech

I know this is a very broad question and will have alot to do with opinions but as a fairly new collector I'm always in fear of dropping alot on a bad brand. Just in general are there any big brands/ designers out there to just stay away from, Chinese made of course though. Im still learning about the big designs, Chris reeve, strider, darrel ralph etc, but since most of the names are unfamiliar I just don't want to spent $200-$400 on something that most people on here would never even consider because of a taboo or bad reputation. Not trying to start a big debate on who's the best and such, just wondering some names to avoid.

Don't avoid Chinese-made knives or knives from Chinese companies out of hand. :) Some of my best-made and favorite knives were made by Reate, WE, Bestech, and Kizer. :thumbsup:

For reference the last few ive gotten were-
Benchmade Osborne
Microtech LUDT
Medford slim midi
Spyderco police

I assume this is a list of knives you've bought rather than knives you've been told to avoid; the wording doesn't make that totally clear to me.

Brand-wise, personally I avoid Gerber, SOG, Quartermaster, and Brous Blades entirely, and generally ignore CRKT as well. I know there are exceptions, and everyone has different experiences, but from a mix of owning their knives (Gerber, SOG, CRKT) and reading/watching reviews (Quartermaster, Brous) I've gathered that skipping those companies will save me money and heartache. When it comes to the knives I've experience firsthand, that's served me well. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back