Branton Knife Company and Walter Brend collaboration

Bobby Branton

Merrill’s Marauders Knife
By
Walter J. Brend and Branton Knife Co.

Walter J. Brend has teamed up with Bobby Branton of Branton Knife Company and with The “MERRILL’S MARAUDERS” Association to present you with the first piece of cutlery to bear the name and logo of the famous “Merrill’s Marauders”. The Marauders knife was designed by Walter Brend and Army Ranger Justin Gingrich and was tested and approved by the Army Rangers at Fort Benning Ga. The Marauders knife will be available only through Branton Knife Company. Below is a little history on “Merrill’s Marauders”.
In August 1943 at the "Quebec Conference", President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and other allied leaders decided that an American Long Range Penetration Mission behind the Japanese Lines in Burma was needed to destroy the Japanese supply lines and communications and to play havoc with the enemy forces while an attempt was made to reopen the much needed Burma Road.
The Unit was officially designated as the "5307th Composite Unit (Provisional)" Code Name: "GALAHAD", later it became popularly known as "MERRILL'S MARAUDERS" named after its leader, Brigadier General Frank Merrill.
For more information on “Merrill’s Marauders” go to www.marauders.org/history/htm
The Marauders knife is a combat knife built with a 7 1/4 inch Kukri type blade for chopping with a deep recurve for close quarters combat. Made from D-2 steel hand ground by Master knifemaker Walter Brend. The Marauders knife has Walter’s signature ergonomic model # 2 handle style slightly dropped for effective chopping ability. Below are the specs for the Marauder knife.

Design – Kukri type combat with deep recurve, integral guard and dropped handle.
Blade Steel - D-2
Finish – Hand rubbed satin
Blade length - 7 ¼ inch
Overall length - 13 ¼ inches
Handle - black canvas Micarta
Sheath – kydex
Features – limited edition will be numbered 1-25 and will bear the “Merrill’s Marauders” logo
Price $950.00 Visa, Mastercard and Discover accepted

Mr Branton, please confirm what I believe is the knife you are offering with a blade ground by Walter Brend. The blade is ground by Walter and you do the finshing, handleprep and final assembly. The cost of this 'Custom/Production' knife is $950US and only 25 will be made or only 25 serial numbered. What will be the markings on the blade? Thanks- Dick

Dick,
The 25 limited edition models will be completely hand crafted by Walter in Walters shop.The limited edition will be marked with Walters flag logo and the Merrill's marauders logo and the serial number.The cost will be $950.00. Upon completion of the limited edition models I plan to manufacture a few hunderd versions of the same knife using the technology available to my small shop.
The D-2 blades will be water jet cut , handles roughed out on a CNC machine, blades CNC ground and blades heat treated to Walters specs at his heat treater and final finish applied in my shop under Walters supervision.The semi production blades will be marked with the Branton Knife Company logo and Walters flag logo with Brend design under his logo.The semi production piece will run approx $300.00.

Bobby

Hi Bobby

Can you tell me what kydex sheaths are coming with the Brend knife and will they be the same on the ones you do, after the original 25? If not, what sheath will come with the after-25 set?

Thanks
Ross T.

The kydex sheaths will be made by Survival Systems. It will be the same as the limited edition.I'll see if I can get a pic.

Bobby

Bobby,

Any updates on the sheaths or the semi-production version date?

Thanks

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to you Tique. I should have the sheath for the semi custom model sometime next week. I am making a few changes in the manufacturing process on the semi custom version. The first 100 or so will be handground by me so that it remains a true handmade. The price will not be over $350.00

Bobby

Back