Brass on handles

Hi All!
Recently I started to notice that the brass parts on my khukuris are not as bright and shiny as they used to be, and not just the "users". I try not to leave any fingerprints on non-users, but overtime they still lose that shine on the buttcap and bolster.

Is there anything I can do to stop/fix it?

Or is it a common, unsolvable issue inherent to all brass parts?

Any feedback will be much appreciated! :D

Flitz metal polish will restore it to like new, and is also good for cleaning gunk off the blade. You should be able to find Flitz at any gun store or gun show. The brass will tarnish again after use, but part of the fun of having toys is playing with them:) .

I've used Flitz, then a good buff, and coated them with a fine auto wax. After six weeks, or so, they turn a nice even brown. Compared to doing it all over again, the brown looks sorta nice.

I've had a hard time staying bright and shiny. My solution has been to turn the mirror shine into a matte finish w/ some 600grit. I find it easier to maintain esp. when I'm sanding/oiling.
As you can see, I'm lazy.

Originally posted by Vess
Hi All!
Recently I started to notice that the brass parts on my khukuris are not as bright and shiny as they used to be.
Is there anything I can do to stop/fix it?
Or is it a common, unsolvable issue inherent to all brass parts?
Yes, it's a common and inherent issue and can only be partially fixed.:(

The guys have all given good suggestions that work to some extent as you can see from what they've said.
IF the khuks aren't users, or even if they are, and you want to go to the trouble you can do what us ndns do with our silver jewelery when we're not wearing it.
First of all give it a good polish with the Flitz or Simichrome, a similar product that also works on steel, and then wipe it spotlessly clean.
Then put the handle in a plastic bag and seal the end tight as possible with a rubber band while squeeszing all the air out possible.
If you have some of the dessicant packages that come with some products you can put one of them in with the handle to help further tarnish from forming.
This won't stop the tarnish entirely, but should lengthen the time in between cleanings.
Any silver I do like this keeps very well in between use, but have to admit I haven't done it with brass, should work though.:)

Walosi; what happens in use to your waxed Khuks?

Yvsa: what care do you give your users?

The matte finish idea seems good to me, though I haven't done anything yet. But they are matting themselves, along with deeper scratches.

munk

Originally posted by munk
Yvsa: what care do you give your users?

munk

Munk if they're not too bad when I get done I simply put them back in the scabbard 'til the next time I use it.
If there's a buildup of sap or whatever on the blade I use the dark red Scotch-Brite to clean the blade, leaving a matte or satin finish, and clean off any prior deposits as well.
Then a coat of Ballistol-Lube on everything, blade, handle, and scabbard.
Ballistol-Lube was developed long ago for use by the German Army and was made for use on steel, wood, and leather. I think it's an excellent product!!!!
I did dicover the other day that the B-L does dry out over time when I pulled some of my khuks outta the safe. That's not a bad thing I guess since all the khukuri's, handles and scabbards that I looked at were all in good shape.
Some of these khuks had been untouched since last May!!!!
I like the B-L for several reasons of which a little goes a long ways is just one of them.;)

If you're interested I think the B-L website is at http://www.ballistollube.com but I won't swear to it.:)
A search on Google will turn it up I bet.

57 years after collapse the German Nazi's still have innovations that are usefull. Too damn bad they were evil, eh? What a waste of a nation.

munk

If I were you I'd just polish them up every month or two. I tend to forget to appreciate my khuks untill I sit down and spend a good hour cleaning and polishing. At the end of it I can sit there and watch the light bouncing off them and entertain fantasies about heroic deeds and flashing steel! Heads rolling down the hall!! Miscreants being slaughtered!!! Ha Ha! Hahahahahaha!!

Ghengis Khan.

I had an old Winchester single shot rifle that was a wall-hanger only. It had been home modified with a brass butt plate. I polished it to a mirror shine, wiped it clean and sprayed it with clear lacquer. It stayed bright for 10-15 years. I've been wondering if you could take some clear fingernail polish and paint over polished brass. If it didn't work, you could just remove it with polish remover. NOTE. TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. While I haven't tried it, I don't think it would hurt anything.

Steve

Great many ideas.
I did try to laquer (sp?) the brass parts, and it worked more or less all right on one of the cheapies I have, so it's definitely worth a try, I think.
But just cleaning them up once a few months seems like a good plan too. I would indeed appreciate them more if I got to play with them more often, even if just cleaning them.
Thank You All! :)

Lacquer works great on brass. Some of the stubby chapes on the WW I style scabbard still have it on there and on the knive's buttplate. Even with a few scratches it has held up very well.

I have also had a few koras that were lacquered once upon a time which I opted to remove. It had protected the blades beautifully.

I've been using CRC-556 for a while. Doesn't go rancid, dryout or nuthin'. It does dry to a film.
Haven't tried it on leather tho'.

Be thankful it's only the brass on your khukuris. Keeping the brass shiny on the old Warrington was a never ending job for the bosun mates.

My choice for keeping anything metal stabilized. I have a 150+ year old makonde spear (African) and I used the clear laquer to stabilize some active rust spots.

Clear coat enamel, or other spray fixative is good on the brass. I have used nail polish on parts as well, and it works wonders. The "Tough As Nails" brand has microfine nylon strands in it, and it is a really tough clear coat.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas.

Back