Brass repair

Hi,
I know that dings and scratches on the brass fittings of khukuri are not a major concern to a lot of people and that many consider them "character marks".

However, I recently purchased my first quality khukuri and it was pristine except for a ding on the butt cap.
I really like this knife and felt the relationship should start out with some TLC on my part.

Here was my fix:
I cleaned the area of the ding with a brass brush, on a dremel tool, and isopropyl alcohol. Then I fluxed and tinned the area with solder, usin a small soldering iron. Filed and sanded to shape.
Here are some pictures.

The repair is really not as noticeable to the eye as it is to the camera, especially when polished up. I used electrical solder. Recently, I saw that Rio Grande carries a yellow color solder for use with brass, bronze or gold that should make a similar repair almost invisible.

By the way; does anyone have any advice about the 12 inch Ang Khola?
I was wondering how it performs as a camp knife and as something managable by my girlfriend (or I wouldn't mind carrying too).

Regards,
Greg

The more recent 12" AK's I've seen are thinner than I'd expected - maybe 3/8ths which makes them handle like a smaller BAS. 12" Sirupati's that I've seen were as thick. Pretty as all get out, but to me more light than I'd expect an AK to be. I suspect the girlfriend would handle it well. And find it prettier than a sirupati. Only problem is if Uncle gets the kamis to put out dui or tin chira 12"ers. Or a 12" YCS. Let ler see one of those and you'll be buying one for her. Course if she gave the 12" AK back...

Rusty,
Thanks for the input on the AK (and "heads up" on a potential problem, not that I mind your solution).
Regards,
Greg

Originally posted by Ripper
However, I recently purchased my first quality khukuri and it was pristine except for a ding on the butt cap.

Here was my fix:
I cleaned the area of the ding with a brass brush, on a dremel tool, and isopropyl alcohol. Then I fluxed and tinned the area with solder, usin a small soldering iron. Filed and sanded to shape.

Recently, I saw that Rio Grande carries a yellow color solder for use with brass, bronze or gold that should make a similar repair almost invisible.

Regards,
Greg

Greg that's really interesting. Do you have any more info on this solder or where to purchase it?
Rio Grande isn't familar to me and probably not to some others here. Is there a website?
I'm wondering if Wal-Mart might carry it? I haven't been in Wal-Mart to just check things out for a long while, maybe I can do that sometime this next month down in Phoenix.
That is if I can get my tooth refilled tomorrow as the filling I had put in last Thursday fell out Friday.
Needless to say I'm not a happy camper this weekend and it's not all just because we had to delay our trip for a damned dentist's @%#$!%$# Mistake!!!!!!

Do you have any more info on this solder or where to purchase it?
Yvsa,
I most certainly do and should have included it in my original post.
Rio Grande is a supply house for the jewelry industry. Their website is www.riogrande.com. They do not have an online catalog and charge $10 for their Tools and Equipment catalog. It is IMO money well spent. It's 498 pages long (2001 edition) and packed full of goodies. Very good reading in the throne room. It also comes with a $10 gift certificate.

The solder I glanced at is order# 503-053 at $17.95 per 1 oz. tube.
However, after reading the fine print, it will not be suitable for on blade repair as it is a hard solder, flowing between 1140-1500 degrees F.

There is a company on the east coast SRA-Stan Rubinstein Assoc. that offers a low temp (537 degrees F.) gold solder. I don't remember the particulars but it is very expensive.

Sorry if I raised any expectations.

Regards,
Greg

Interesting stuff and thanks. Gold solder? What's the world coming to.

Filling lasted a day? Well, what do you expect for $300?

Alot of jewelry/silver smithing suppliers have variously blended solders. When was the last time you saw a solder line on a gold ring ;) However they get alot more toxic, and more difficult to work with. Expecially alot of the harder solders require extreme temps to flow. Essentially these odd solders are just the actual material with a little filler to lower the melt temp. Hence the high prices. Old time silver/gold/general smiths used to make their own solder with various melt temps as they saw fit. Alot still do, and could probably sell you whatever you needed in whatever shapes you want. Personally though, since all I own is a pencil tip propane torch, I tend to go with soft to medium silver solders.

Originally posted by Yvsa

That is if I can get my tooth refilled tomorrow as the filling I had put in last Thursday fell out Friday.

Why not fix it yourself with a bit of laha? :) :D ;) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BruiseLeee

Why not fix it yourself with a bit of laha? :) :D ;) :rolleyes:

Didn't need to Bruise.:) From the time I hit the dentist's office door to the time my tooth was filled was and I was walking out the front door was 45 minutes and the two gals up front told me I was gonna have to take a seat and be patient and see if the doc had any openings.:rolleyes:
And I didn't even have to get loud, let alone vulgar.:p

Oh yeah. It was only $180.00 for 3 cavities in 2 teeth. You're getting ripped off out there in Nevada Bill.:eek:

I got a six tooth bridge a year or two back -- $5000. How much does that cost in Tulsa? Everything is inflated here in Reno.

Back