Brass Tacks to Improve Grip: Best Configuration?

I've heard that the custom of putting brass-headed tacks into the handle of a tomahawk may help improve the grip--keeping those sometimes-slick and usually-tapered handles from flying out of the hand at inconvenient moments.

Anyone out there have any recommendations as to how to do this? I'm specifically interested in details, such as:

1. What kind of tacks? I see some places carry cone-shaped-headed tacks, others round-dome-headed ones; the sizes seem to vary, too. What size and shape of tack do you find is best?

2. Where on the handle is it best to put them? How many? In what configuration?

3. Any problems, things you'd wish you'd done differently, etc.?

I have heard that it's good to chart out on the handle, in pencil, where you want the tacks to go, and to pre-drill holes with a very thin drill bit, to prevent splitting the wood. Any other wisdom out there from those of you who've been there and done that?

Thanks!

I got tacks from Crazy Crow, The small are almost flat and probably more comfortable than the Med./lg. The Med. and Lg. are more domed. Van dikes restoration has a wider selection of furniture tacks in diamond and other shapes.

You can use a Piece of graft paper to lay out your pattern and use that as a template so you can transfer if you do other than straight lines.

I haven't done a Hawk handle but this is how I did a gun stock that turned out well.

Hope that helps some.

Ive used them with the domed tacks and it definetely makes a big difference. Keep in mind that it does make it difficult to remove the head. As for pattern, the ones that seem to circle the handle felt the best to me. One bit of advice, you'll want to drill a very small pilot hold first. It's about impossible to get them tacked into the handle otherwise without bending them.

Check at larger fabric stores, you should be able to find some of the basic domed ones.

Charles

Back