• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Brian at Discountknives - Good

Recently I have ordered several knives for the first time from Discountknives. Brian responded me immediately. After that I have waited for almost 2 weeks but the knives did not arrived. So I dropped an E-mail to Brian and he once again responded immediately. The same morning the knives were shipped and I have received them within 36 hours. I also got their 10% discount, so overall I am satisfied with their service, especially with the prompt action of Brian.

Well, at least we know he's not dead...

For a contrary experience, see below.

----
Well, I gave up.

Following is the sum total of my correspondence with Brian about two orders.
Since this is an exact copy of the emails, it
should be read bottom up, the first message is at the end.

I think I was reasonable, did I do anything to deserve being completely ignored?

-----
rom: Alan Folsom
To: brian@DiscountKnives.com
Subject: (Fwd) (Fwd) Re: (no subject)
Copies to: brianskelton@erols.com
Send reply to: folsom@jmisoftware.com
Date sent: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:15:19 -0500

Since you cannot be bothered to reply to simple requests for information,
please cancel both of these orders.

You know, I can deal with out-of-stock issues, or any other problems a
vendor may have. I can't deal with being ignored when I ask for
information. I don't know how you can stay in business this way. I always
thought the complaints about you on the internet were just some idiots
blowing smoke. I see I was wrong.

Al Folsom

------- Forwarded message follows -------
To: brian@DiscountKnives.com
Subject: (Fwd) Re: (no subject)
Date sent: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:32:10 -0500

Hello Brian-

Please tell me if you will not be able to fill these orders, as the
Twins birthday is fast approaching, and I will look elsewhere if
necessary.

Thank you,

Al Folsom

------- Forwarded message follows -------
To: brianskelton
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date sent: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:53:12 -0500

Hello Brian-

And did you find out anything? Actually, there were two orders, one day
apart, and I have not heard anything, nor has either credit card been
billed, for either order. It's now over two weeks, which is not
unreasonable if I know about it, but normal service from you has been so
much faster.

Thanks,

Al Folsom

> I'll have someone check as to the status of your order.
>
> Brian
>
> At 11:26 AM 11/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hello Brian-
> >
> >I placed two orders over a week ago, and I see my credit cards have not
> >yet been billed for either one. No big deal, I just wanted to make
> >sure they weren't lost.
> >
> >One order was for two Buck 444's and two Ka-Bar small rosewood hunters.
> >These are birthday presents for my twin 11 year old sons, so there is a
> >bit of a time deadline for these.
> >
> >The other order was for a CRKT Kasper and a Buck Skinner with Cocobola
> >handle. These are toys for me, with no time deadline at all, other
> >than my office manager getting tired of wiping my nose prints off the
> >window after I wait for the UPS man.
> >
> >Let me know if there's a problem.
> >
> >Peace,
> >
> >Al Folsom
>

------- End of forwarded message -------

I probably purchased 95% of my Spyderco collection from Brian. Everything went without a hitch, and delivery was faster than most web-dealers.
Last Christmas I ordered several Victorinox knives as gifts.
Two days before Christmas, I/we (meaning Brian)discovered I was one knife short.
Brian had it delivered on Christmas evening at a shipping cost that exceeded the knife itself.
I consider that exceptional service.
I trust Brian, Discount Knives and I will continue to shop there due to past experiences.
I NEVER try to call him. He runs a small but efficient shop in my opinion. His communication is by email, and it works for me.
Bill

I am sorry for your bad experience, Alan. Actually I had my cca. 2 weeks "delay" about the same time as you. And I got almost the same answer as you after your first E-mail. But I got my order processed and you have not yours
frown.gif
. Bad... I do not know what could happened to him, but he definitely should reply you. The most confusing is we were not treated the same way. Trust is easy to be lost but difficult to rebuild, if ever...
Hope you could find in time a good source for your twins' birthday present.

Thanks-

After much help on the general blade forum, I ordered two knives from ragweedforge.com, two
norwegian blades htat look really good. Best of all, Ragner there (don't know his real name
smile.gif
)replied to each email with helpful advice within a day.

Brian's service in the past has been good. As I said, if something is out of stock, that's fine, just let me know. I can think of nothing ruder, though, than to simply ignore emails asking for status.

Despite earlier quick deliveries, and good prices, I sincerely doubt I will ever order from him again. With no way to contact him other than email, and a proven propensity to ignore that, I simply can't see myself ever trusting him with my business again.

I believe others have had good service. I did too, until now. The measure of a business, though, is not how things are when they're going smoothly, but rather how you handle problems when they occur. The few dollars saved isn't worth the aggravation of dealing with the order hassles.

Peace,

Al Folsom

------------------
Al Folsom alan_folsom@email.com
-----
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away, and barefoot!

Discount Knives is BAD ! People had good feeling about Brain mostly large volume buyers ( dealers), people like u and me buying 2 n 3 knives. He does not F**King care!

Originally posted by Erlkonig:
people like u and me buying 2 n 3 knives. He does not F**King care!

Gotta' disagree. I've never ordered more than 2 knives from Brian at a time, and never more than once in a month. Longest I've waited for delivery was 16 days, and Brian picked up the shipping that time because of the delay.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

Erlkonig, please repeat the incident that you had with Brian that made you feel that he "does not F--King care!"

If I remember correctly (which I may not be doing), you mailed an order with a check, and it didn't arrive to him. You cancelled the check, and you were charged a $25 fee from your bank? If this is the case, then you need to understand that the US Mail loses mail sometimes and that Brian is not your bank.

If I am confused, go ahead and correct me. I'm really interested in hearing about what happened with you and Brian.

------------------
bc2000logo.gif

Chang and the Rebels of the East
(Southern Taiwan Shall Rise Again!)

I placed 3 orders in the past with Brian,with no problems
But here is my last experience with him:

(note that the order is from 6 October,almost 2 months ago)

Fri, 1 Dec 2000
Brian, I am still waiting, I didn´t recieve any news
from you.
Hernan

--- brianskelton <brianskelton@erols.com> wrote:
> I'll have someone check as to the status of your
> order.
>
> Brian
>
> At 01:51 PM 11/20/00 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >Hello Brian, I didn't recieve the order yet, I checked with the bank and they say there is no charge from you in my credit card until now.I would like to know what
happened, is there are any problem with my order?
> >Please email me.
> >
> > Hernan Roncati from Buenos
> Aires,Argentina
> >
> >--- DiscountKnives <Brian@DiscountKnives.com>
> wrote:
> > > Both parts of your order have been received.
> The
> > > SC-4SBK, and SC-5PBK are
> > > in stock, I'll add these to your order.
> > >
> > > Brian
> > >
> > > At 01:38 PM 10/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hello Brian
> > > >
> > > > I just made 2 orders (12
> products),sometimes the second part of the order (I mean the last 6 items)did´nt arrived to you, please check if you don´t receive the complete order of 12 products,please e-mail me if the complete order don´t arrive to you.

Hernan

I have made several orders to Brian at Discountknives.com and each has arrived priority mail within 3 days. First I send an e-mail before ordering asking if the items are in stock.......or I specify with the order that if you dont have the item, cancel the order and notify me. I make the order online right after Brian e-mails me that he has the item. Also for all those bitching out there, do you ever call the guy. He has a phone number if you have placed an order. Also Brians prices are lower than anyone else. His shipping cost is lower than anyone else. So I guess I dont expect him to chat me up via e-mail. He also inspected a couple knives to make sure they were ok before sending them to me. Thats kind of nice, not just tossing the knife in a box and mailing it.

There a lot of internet knife dealers. If someone is selling much lower than brian for major brands let me know. There are several dealers as low, but.....Brian has come through for me so far. If Brian doesnt have it, lots of others do and I never back order anything. Thats a whole can of worms in itself. -mike

Back