Bring some knives on vacation?

Hello,

I have a question. 15 november I go on a working vacation for 1 year to Curaçao. :) (I live in The Netherlands) I will bring a few knives from my collection with me, for practical issues. Like my SAK Tool Spitit for repair and stuff. Do they make a fuss on the airport if I pack my knives in my suitcase? (Not my hand luggage) I think I will pack 8 knives.

Greetings,

Ruud

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a question. 15 november I go on a working vacation for 1 year to Curaçao. :) (I live in The Netherlands) I will bring a few knives from my collection with me, for practical issues. Like my SAK Tool Spitit for repair and stuff. Do they make a fuss on the airport if I pack my knives in my suitcase? (Not my hand luggage) I think I will pack 8 knives.

Greetings,

Ruud

they generally don't care if you put knives in your checked luggage but i can't speak for flying between countries as i usually only fly within the united states.

I only bring one folder and one multi tool when I fly to my vacation destination. I've never had a problem with them packed in my stowed luggage.

I´ve flown out of Amsterdam Airport dozens of times over the last few years, always with 2-4 folders in my checked luggage. Never had any problem.
I've never been to Curacao, so I do not know if getting them back to the Netherlands will be a problem. Probably not, I have never had any problems with checked luggage at many airports.
I did have a hard time however with a dutch customs officier coming back in after I had spontaneously decided in China to start a collection of chinese folders. I carried 16 I think. In the end they got through.

I´ve flown out of Amsterdam Airport dozens of times over the last few years, always with 2-4 folders in my checked luggage. Never had any problem.
I've never been to Curacao, so I do not know if getting them back to the Netherlands will be a problem. Probably not, I have never had any problems with checked luggage at many airports.
I did have a hard time however with a dutch customs officier coming back in after I had spontaneously decided in China to start a collection of chinese folders. I carried 16 I think. In the end they got through.

Wow 16, I don't think I will bring along that many. But overall thanks for the posts. I think I will take 8 knifes with me. Your'e also Dutch?

Greets,

Shouldnt be a problem, I flew home from Sweden through Amsterdam with about 20 Moras and a Granfors Bruks small forrest axe in my luggage. :D

Mike

Shouldnt be a problem, I flew home from Sweden through Amsterdam with about 20 Moras and a Granfors Bruks small forrest axe in my luggage. :D

Mike

:D
Sometimes 20 knives and one axe can be less suspicious than one knife.

You might want to check with the airline before you go, just to be sure.

I never had a problem, but be careful with new knives on the way back. Especially if you take a few with you.

I was asked to pay tax on a watch (mint condition in a box and I had another watch on my wrist) when I returned to The Netherlands after a vacation. (In the end I could convince customs that I had purchased the watch in The Netherlands and not abroad.)

It shouldn’t be a problem with Curacao though.

ive packed knives in my checked in luggage, (flying is usa only), but i have heard stories of people having them stolen

Check with the airlines, check with your destination.
Pack your knives in a clear box if possible.
Mark them clearly. Post a list of which knives are in the box, keep a copy with you.
I found when a list is packed with the knives, none have mysteriously disappeared.

You could ship the items (with insurance) to yourself if you have any theft concerns (or any other concerns)

Either way if they are legal in both departure and destination location it should not matter other than theft by a bag handler or others with access to your bag.

You could ship the items (with insurance) to yourself if you have any theft concerns (or any other concerns)

That was my line of thinking too. I'd probably pack 4 and ship 4 (there's a saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket!").

To preclude knife theft from checked luggage, turn your knife into a kit. Put the blade in one suitcase and the handle in another. Put the screws, springs, spacers, etc. in your pocket. Most thieves are lazy opportunists. Don't fly with your best stuff or heirlooms. Have a great trip!

Back