British Customs / Any problems ?

Hello All ,
Just as an add on to my last thread , It is a while since I ordered any khukuris from Nepal and would like to know from any of the UK forum members if they have ever had any problems getting Kailish knives through the custom control ? especially 2020 .
Thanks

Hi,
I live in the UK. The last time I bought Khukuris from Kailash was in 2018. However, I did make 3 purchases from GGK in October and November 2020. There were no issues, although the customs charges is confusing. Of the 3 deliveries, I had to pay customs for one. This was the case with Kailash, and every khukuri house too.

I don't think it would be any different during this pandemic. With the customs charges tho, it seems like they just flip a coin, and charge you if you're unlucky.

Hey there guys!
We've yet to experience any problems with shipping knives into the UK, so you should be able to order with confidence regardless of Covid.
We have had some issues in other parts of europe, and have identified a few risk factors for reference.
Avoid rosewood handles if possible- even though the nepali variety we use isn't a threatened species, there are restrictions on other rosewood species which have stopped our blades getting to customers a few times.
Avoid sharpened back edges or knuckleguards in line with your local regulations.
Traditional blades are treated with a larger amount of leniency than other blades we do and are the safest bet compared to a scourge for example if you're unsure about your local regulations.
Take care,
Andrew

Back