Broke my ankle

Thanks guys, I hope to make it to Titusville too.
G2

Today's visit the doc says I can start putting weight on the ankle...

Now, saying it's ok and doing it are TWO different things :)

Still wearing the 'boot' but I can't quite walk with out some pain, which is to be expected since I've not used the leg for a while now

Ugh need this to be over sooner!

G2

Thanks guys and I hope you are right. There is much tingling, which I expected since the foots been dormant for so long and the calf muscles show some atrophy but also considered due to the time of no action for them. But I did try to put full weight down and maybe the doc didn't take into account what my weight is, while I'm far from svelt I'm not, what I'd consider obese, I do carry a fair amount of upper body strength/muscle and only a short feller of 5' 6 1/2" tall, I presently tip the scale around 210, so, that's a lot for a poor ankle to be totin' around. I am giving it a little less weight, so I am not walker free yet. But the side with the plate I think is hitting something as I get a very sharp pain sometimes, depending on how I take a step, I guess time will tell. Got to sleep last night without the "boot" on, which was a little better but I did wake up to some sharp pain a few times when ever my legs were moving about awkwardly :)

The doc had them take another x ray and I was able to grab a quick shot with my ipod touch, only barely as the doc walked back in as I was pocketing it, close call as I guess they don't want you taking photos. Here's what the plate, screws and pin look like, there are 9 screws, so the top of the plate was out of the frame, you'll notice TWO things about the long pin, First is the head of it is quite proud of the plate due to a washer he used this time, as one of his previous patients was not careful and put weight on it too early and the bone moved, having the doc to go back and correct it all over again. The second thing is the pin extends past the bone slightly, I asked about that and he said it's better to have about a thread past the outer area of the bone as that's the hardest part of the bone and provides a better anchor for the pin, sounded logical...

Plates_screws_pin.jpg

I'm instructed to wear the "boot" whenever I leave the house, but can walk/sleep without it while at home.

I hope to be able to go back to work soon, maybe in a week, depends on how well the ankle responds to the physical therapy right now.

Wish me luck guys,
G2

Last edited:
Good luck! Heal up fast now, some activity will help. Circulation and rebuilding muscle will follow.

Gary,
That's quite a photo of Your ankle with the added hardware.
The protuding pin appears to be round and the threads are not exposed, so it shouldn't cause problems later.
It will be good to lose the boot and the pain.
GOOD LUCK GOING FORWARD.

Thanks, it was risky getting the photo but worth it, and the tingling is subsiding slightly, MAN it is nice to be able to stand without having to hang onto something! :)

I still need the walker to get about but the weight is balanced on both feet, favouring the 'good' foot, which was starting to complain about taking all the brunt of hauling me around, plus my hip and arms and shoulders, which those have toned up nicely, not the typical means for working out, but it does the trick!

G2

Still trying to get full weight on the ankle but still hurts too much when I try, so, I don't. Real tight just at the top of the ankle area, doc said yeah it's still needs to heal and there is probably some swelling inside making it feel tight. Hope he's right and it loosens up soon!

Some good news, ALL the various folks that got to meet me have started sending me letters ;) well, they are BILLS and ouch I thought my ankle hurt!!! It's hard to believe how much an ankle operation totals up to!!! I'm very glad that I didn't have to spend a night ! As the plan at first was to operate on March 20th, fasted as required, went in, got prepped and dressed for the show, got the IV in and sat and waited...and waited....and waited until they finally came and said go home and come back EARLY tomorrow morning and don't forget to FAST before! perfect! Well as we got another LARGE bill, my wife thought it was just a copy of a previous one just sent by mistake a second time, but, it wasn't as it was for more money, I decided to call and complain. Got a short run around until I reached someone that said Wow, ok let me enter this as a complaint and submit it for you. Said I should get some information in about 7 days. I'm HOPING they take my day and night into account and offer a discount off one of the bills, anything would certainly help at this point!!

Going to work on Monday to talk with HR about limitations and what they will allow if I return, as right now I can't walk without a walker, I was hoping to shift to a cane soon, but not sure if that will take enough weight off that leg? Never used crutches/walker or cane before.

Thanks for all your prayers guys/gals it's greatly appreciated! My wife says I'm not allowed to do any more home improvements ever again, ugh...;)
G2

Gary,
I hope the pain and swelling get better, in time this will just be a bad dream.
Keep a close eye on the hospital bills, sometimes they tend to loose sight of reality.
As far as Your Wife not allowing You to do any more home improvements ever again, Is She willing to put this in writing ?
Good Luck and Keep Getting Well.

Thanks Tim I plan to get it printed out, signed and made smaller into a refrigerator magnet :)
G2

One time I was in the hospital, a doctor came in and began to talk to me, ask questions, I stopped him and asked who he was. A psychiatrist! Just in case I was upset about being hospitalized. I told him no thanks.

My insurance plan sent me paperwork every time they paid a claim, and sure enough, there was one from the psychiatrist. I told them, no, I sent him off. They tossed the bill back in his face and thanked me for watching out.

I don't think hospitals try to cheat, generally, but providers will submit anything and everything, and duplicate it before you have a chance to pay.

hang in there, you're almost through the woods. I know the metal additions aren't much fun as I have some myself, but the alternative is worse.

Thanks Esav and Greg, I'll have to compare these bills to make sure there isn't any overlapping going on! and Greg I'm hoping day by day this will start getting better allowing me to walk, I take solace in the fact I'm not the first to have a broken ankle, but, it sure feels like to me that my break/sprain might have been more severe than most, when I felt my foot come up along side the outside of my leg...I really freaked a little, ok...a lot as I knew there would be much wrong once it went back down, it's not suppose to make that radical a move, ugh I still have visions of that night and it's not pretty.

as for the costs, it sure seems like a lot, but I guess you wouldn't want any shortcuts when it comes to surgery!

Which reminds me of a joke about how much things costs;

A guy is at the Dentist to get a tooth pulled and asks the Doc how much it will costs? ( this was a while ago )
Doc says "$40"
The guy says "$40 for a couple minutes work??"
The Doc says "Well, if it will make you feel better, I could pull it real slow...." :)

G2

Well, just back from WallyWorld, wanted to try a cane out, but I think I'm pushing my luck, still not able to put as much weight on the foot as I'd need while using a cane, too unstable even with the 4 footed variety, never mind the single footed one! Tried it a few steps and I think I better take it slower and use the walker for a while longer. With that I can allow as much or as little weight as I want.

I tell you, this waiting to heal thing, sucks ;)

Right now the most pain is on the side where the plate is, it's taking up room where there really isn't room to spare, so things are tight, down the road I may just get the plate/screws/pin removed but probably next year.

G2

Hi,
I didn't read the whole thread (skimmed pp 6-7), but I've had a similar surgery in Jan 2013 after I broke my ankle (weber b/c fracture).
Did i get this right that you're officially allowed to put your full weight on it? I wasn't allowed to do that as long as the long screw was in there to make sure it doesn't break. They told me I could load it with about 40 lbs (20 kg).
..., close call as I guess they don't want you taking photos.
That sounds very strange to me - is that normal in the US? And did you ask? Why would they forbid you to take a cell phone picture?
In Germany you have the right to get a copy of any data a doctor/hospital collects about you and I always got a print-out of the x-rays for free (it usually costs something to get it digitally).
..., makes me wonder if when the time comes should I have it all removed ??? This doc is known to leave them in, guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks
They removed the long screw so that I was allowed to put my weight on it. This enabled me to completely bend the foot forward AND backwards. Until it was in there, I wasn't able to get across certain points (which was because the 2 bones go further apart in these situations which is impossible with the long screw, IIRC).

9 months later they removed the plate and 7 remaining screws (they ask for 12-18 months but I'm young (23 at that time) -> faster healing and so i asked to get it out earlier). After this it hurt less in some situations and by now it's back to normal (and I believe not solely due to the doctors but due to prayer and God's faithfulness and secondarily due to him using these doctors :)).
So pros of removing the plate (to my knowledge):
- possibly less pain, more flexibility
- can't get infected later (less relevant for older people - no offense, but I guess you're probably at least twice as old as i am... Please correct my if i'm wrong)
- the longer you wait, the more the bone grows around the plate and makes it harder to remove
Cons:
- it's another surgery - it can get infected and it has to heal which features greater risks at advanced age.

So.. If your ankle will be just like before in about a year with the plate, there's probably no need to remove the plate. If it still hurts or is weird one could possibly think about a removal but this is just the knowledge I picked up while being a young patient who asked a lot of questions and browsed the internet - i have no idea what my doctor would have actually advised an old person.

Be blessed!

Right, well, there never was the word of full weight but that I could put weight on it, they were not overly talkative and I guess my fault as the questions always come up afterward. And yep, probably twice your age, thank you very much ;) but I've worked hard to become so (said in my best Dread Pirate Roberts voice)

The pin/screw is through the fibula and is pulling the larger bone to be more directly over the ankle bone, as the two bones are basically together, I don't think they move independently of each other, hope not with that pin in there! It should be ok, my concern at the moment is he put a washer as well as the long pin, which made the head of the pin to stick out further than it normally would be.

My next visit is the 22nd but I think I'll give them a call this week on what poundage could reasonable be expected to be put on the foot. I'm hoping to get a few more years use out of it, but would not want it to be a constant pain.

I do envy people as I see them just saunter about on both feet, everyone should be thankful they can walk normally, it really is a grand thing! I wince when I see people in the movies jump from great heights and land and hurt their ankle/legs, and know what they must be feeling.

Thanks for the post, it's good to hear of recoveries !!!
G2

Edited to respond to your question about taking photos, my best guess is for liability for the hospital, there are signs about that show No camera, No phones in certain places, such as the room I was in for my checkup, when the doc left the room he left the monitor on with that xray so I took a quick shot of it, he MIGHT have allowed me to have the actual image as a file if I asked, but just didn't bother at the time.

Last edited:
Gary,
s_f asked some great questions having gone through amost the same injury.
It is nice to hear of a young person caring to help someone older like us.
I have gone through health issues also and in talking with others find out interesting information
about the different avenues of the healing process.
I'll bet the Doctor didn't tell You how much weight You could put on it because He forgot or knows that
the pain might help You make THAT decision. ( He knows You aren't going to get hurt jogging ).
I am curious now as to the answer.
HANG IN THERE, BETTER DAYS ARE COMING. I hope You enjoy the spring as much as possible.

Thanks Tim, well folks, I'm walkin', let me preface that with, I'm KINDA walkin' ;) that's to say I still have the walker but am not using it to lessen my body weight, my gait would be similar to how Frankenstein first started walking I'm afraid and that's a pretty fair thing to say, "I'm Afraid" as I think that most that have had leg/ankle surgery may attest that getting the pace down again is scary, you don't have that confidence you once had, also my Achilles tendon is shrunk a little as it's like a steel cable to stretch out, but I don't feel it when walking, just when I'm resting and trying to do the exercises the doc prescribed, making the alphabet with my toes, to go through a range of motion.

SO, I have very high hopes that things will smooth out soon, still can feel some aches where the pin is and on the plate side as well, my body's way of telling me there's something in there that shouldn't be! I'll update come this Thursday to see what the doc says and then if all is ok, I'm back at my desk on Friday, as long as any limitations from the doc meet with the HR's approval. I know my wife will be happy when I'm back to work ;) I've been a very good boy, trying NOT to impose on her unless I really need it, don't want to upset the person that prepares my food! and sleeps near me at nite...it's just not a wise thing to be doing :)

Thanks again to all of your thoughts and prayers, greatly appreciated!

G2

Back