Broke my Leatherman Supertool... other options?

shpshooter said:
Honestly, who cares? It doesn't effect the ability of the tools and Tim is a great guy in person. Certainly wouldn't stop me from buying more tools, in fact I just bought one tonight.

To some people it does not matter at all. It's all about where you place your values and what battles you wish to fight.

At the extreme end of the spectrum, it's that exact attitude that has allowed Walmarts to drive every Ma&Pa outfit near them out of business, allowed our trade policies to place workers out of jobs, and is running this country into the ground. "Who gives a rip, as long as I get what I want." The "me" generation sucks IMO, YMMV.

I'm not a boycott person myself, but his emails made the difference to me, not his position. You are welcome to have your own opinion on any matter you want, but when the consequences of those opinions come back to haunt you, you need to man up and take your medicine.

klattman said:
The one-hand pliers, the compound leverage and the ability to dissasemble are the selling points for the powerlock in my mind.

klattman,
Those are my reasons for trying it also. The looseness is in the lock itself. The lock does not fit into the slots on the back of the tools nearly as tight as the Leatherman does. There is no side to side play at all. Thanks for the Robertson's tip, I use those a lot at work.

Jim_Linch said:
klattman,
Those are my reasons for trying it also. The looseness is in the lock itself. The lock does not fit into the slots on the back of the tools nearly as tight as the Leatherman does. There is no side to side play at all. Thanks for the Robertson's tip, I use those a lot at work.

I just looked at my SOG again, and there is a very tiny bit of play in the lock direction and no side-play, like you said. This may be due to looser tolerances than SOG uses. The LM models are riveted shut, so the bits are matched to the tool and tested afterwards. The PowerLock is probably a litle looser just because everything is meant to be interchangeable.

I don't imagine that you could fix the play, since you would need to add material. Only thing I can think of is to remove all the tools and add a tiny bit of very thin metallic tape around the lock end that engages the tools. Of course this would have to be replaced periodically, so it really isn't a good solution. Maybe some other metal could be welded/melted on to make the lock a bit thicker. Okay, I'm reaching here...

You can always return the SOG if it is unused and try the Leatherman Blast (which has tight locks), or order a SwissTool (original or RS or X, not the spirit.) online.
I would lean toward the swisstool, since it's very popular around here, and because of your opinion of LM.

Sorry if I led you astray this time.

Jim_Linch said:
Well I bought a SOG Powerlock today at Wallmart. Went to buy ammo and had an impulse while waiting at the counter....

Jim_Linch said:
To some people it does not matter at all. It's all about where you place your values and what battles you wish to fight.

At the extreme end of the spectrum, it's that exact attitude that has allowed Walmarts to drive every Ma&Pa outfit near them out of business, allowed our trade policies to place workers out of jobs, and is running this country into the ground. "Who gives a rip, as long as I get what I want." The "me" generation sucks IMO, YMMV.

I'm not a boycott person myself, but his emails made the difference to me, not his position. You are welcome to have your own opinion on any matter you want, but when the consequences of those opinions come back to haunt you, you need to man up and take your medicine.

Well, you bought your PowerLock at Wally world, didn't you? ;)

I don't see the big thing though. He said he supports someone because he agrees with most of their views and is sticking to it. I personally see that as a very good quality to have. Most people today cave under pressure and don't stick to what they say. I think some people are just mad he doesn't support the same person they do. Like I have said before Tim Leatherman is a great guy and did something well out of his way for me. I think his good character and his standing for what he believes in well outweighs his political position. But, whatever you think, so be it. After all you are entitled to your own opinion. Right?

Back