Recommendation? Broken blade on Kershaw Emerson 6k folding knife

Hey,
I have a kershaw Emerson 6k folding knife that has a broken blade. I use it to carve balsa and cut cardboard. I was surprised when the whole blade just broke in a carving stroke. I didn't torque it or anything. Now I am wondering what kershaw/emerson will do for me regarding warranty. It broke right where the tap is for the thumbstud. Pics in post coming soon. I am hoping they will give me a new blade.

Sounds definitly defective. Yeah, they will make that right I imagine.
How old is the knife? Just curious.

would think theyll give ya a new knife. likely cheaper than them spending money on labor to replace the blade.

someone had an cqc11 that the blade split down the middle sort of on doing kitchen cutting chores if i remember right?

Kershaw will likely replace it. What did they say?

Kershaw will replace the blade or knife unless they determine the knife was abused...and you don't need to worry because they expect their budget knives to be "abused" in a fashion with normal use.

I've heard of a couple instances of 8Cr13MoV failing inexplicably and I guess that's just something that happens when you manufacture as many knives as they do.

Send it in and they'll make it right :)

Sounds like a bad heat treatment. 8Cr13MoV isn't a premium grade steel but I doubt this that has anything to do with it. Regardless of steel specs or grade, any steel will not just snap or break while carving balsa wood without there being some physical defect that is almost always caused by a bad heating/cooling cycle. A very rapid cooling for instance, can case some blanks to be so brittle that you could literally snap it in half with your fingers. But that is almost always caught during routine QC inspections of a batch. There were probably just a lot of micro fracture lines caused by poor heating and cooling and one of them finally gave way enough to cause a snowball effect. Sounds like there is a bad batch of 8cr13mov that made it sway out of the factory.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me when stabbing my Kershaw CQC4KXL into plywood. I simply broke out the dremel and reprofiled the blade. Got a nice little boxcutter now.

Back