Broken Koster Survivor

Hi I am fairly new to custom knives and very inexperienced at using these forums and the internet. I was gifted a Koster Survivor for my 60th birthday a few years ago from my son since I spend alot of my time in the woods and I have always wanted a large knife. I have used it for a couple of years now fairly steadily and I have grown to enjoy it to the point it would be the first thing I grab off of my night stand when I wake up every morning. One day in January I had been chopping and storing wood in the barn that had been left from clearing shooting lanes out back when I plucked my blade into an old stump to answer the tele and I could feel an odd vibration through the handle. When I got back I pulled the blade up and the front 1/3 of the edge of the blade had cracked off .(at least thats how the edge felt, tiny micro jagged edges). When I was younger I had worked building die sets for the auto industry and we did plenty alot of our heat treating in house and I have seen many bad and many good work. I am almost positive that this A2 failed due to a mistake in the H/T process. Does anyone know of this happening before? Does anyone know how I can contact the manufacturer ? I doubt there is anything that can be with this knife but I would at least like to let them know that this happened. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it , ive become very accustomed to my blade that I might even purchase another if I learn that this failure isnt something that happens regularly.

Last edited:
Did you try contacting Dan Koster via his website or Facebook? That might be a really good place to start.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back