• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mixed Broken Microtech not covered by warranty, but hey here's a 30% off coupon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knerd

Basic Member
Just an FYI for anyone with any older model microtechs. My Molan Labe signature series ultratech has some screws loose/stripped handle and it's been out of the pocket since. It's an older "flat" style. Just EDC'd and didn't abuse it at all. It should be noted it's one of the older "battle worn" finished ones so I'm not sure how hard MT thrashed it.

They can't warranty it because the flat style is no longer in production. They offered me a 30% off coupon. Better than nothing I guess, but it would be better if they at least gave me close to the value of the (~$300) knife they can't warranty.

That is the appeal of buying American made, knowing there is a warranty for when something inevitably breaks on an automatic knife. Those Chinese clones are starting to look better everyday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-094600.png
    Screenshot_20240404-094600.png
    118 KB · Views: 5
I have/have had some old Microtechs (current oldest is from 2007) and I've never heard of or seen handles spontaneously stripping. Usually threads strip due to being overtightened or cross-threaded, not just pulling out over time. Have you or anyone else ever disassembled the knife? It's very easy to over-torque tiny knife screws.

Unfortunately this is the nature of just about anything...old versions get phased out and parts stop being produced and stocked. It is disappointing to see that their solution is 30% off a replacement. In a perfect world they'd replace the knife for you.

I do not agree that this justifies Chinese junk copies. If you go that route at least buy Maxace or Vespa or someone that makes original designs rather than clones only. I think it would be a better opportunity to check out other American made autos such as Guardian, Heretic, or Kershaw.

I agree, Knerd stripping screws is not a warranty problem.

I have several microtechs with the proper bits for the screws. I'm aware how to disassemble/reassemble them.

Also before anyone else dogpiles me, I know how to operate a screwdriver and not cross thread/over torque screws. One of the screws was always loose so when I first got the knife I loctited the hell outta it, well down the road another screw was loosening and that's when I stopped carrying the knife.

But hey, thanks for the condescending tones guys. I'm trying to do everyone a solid here and bring awareness of Microtech's very limited "lifetime" warranty.

FWIW, I won't be buying Chinese clones, but there's an argument for purchasing them over Microtech now. Especially if they aren't backing their products.

aluminum doesn't do well being screwed and unscrewed over and over. I dont take mine apart for this reason. it can be done once in awhile, but doesn't hold up like steel does to repeat in and outs.

I see folks unscrewing and screwing all the time, but I just don't trust aluminum enough, even when done properly.

^ Lighter fluid does wonders. I prefer not to take apart any OTF (any automatic for that matter).

Only reason I even got the bits was to help fix my buddies Scarab that was extremely hard to actuate. That and diagnosed why my Makora II stopped working (snapped at the "L" on the bar).

Buy the next $900 knife they have listed and you'll be whole. Tough situation since their warranty typically does not cover knives that have been disassembled.

Wow that does kinda suck since I’ve had nothing but great experiences with microtechs warranty service. Still 30% off ain’t bad for a new knife.

Hmmm, so regardless of OPs may or may not having stripped the screws out. I don’t love Microtech’s solution of “30% off your next knife is as good as we can do for our lifetime warranty.”

What will happen when they phase out the LUDT gen2 and I can’t get a spring, or a replacement blade? Or when they discontinue the DD and I can’t get the springs for actuation? Maybe I drop a knife and it cracks an aluminum scale? I’m just screwed on the Lifetime warranty because the model is discontinued?

In my opinion as a consumer that’s pretty shitty. Hoping Microtech makes a comprehensive statement moving forward, because if that is going to be the stance they take moving forward I’ll have a lot of autos up for sale.

Microtechs website clearly says their warranty is a limited lifetime warranty.

It also says "When submitting a knife for warranty service we will evaluate the return based on several factors, including but not limited to the availability of parts, whether or not a model is still in active production, or if parts to the model are still available".

Seems like they're pretty clear and up-front about their policies, nothing being hidden. And it sounds just like what the email said.

A customer contacts them and says the screws on a knife they've had for awhile are stripped, not a brand-new one they just received. Microtech has no way of knowing how the screws got stripped, like if the owner buggered the knife up. What should they do, send a new knife to anyone who contacts them and says "My old knife is messed up. Send me a new one"? Sounds like a great way to go out of business.

I'd say a 30% discount is generous.

Last edited:
Maybe I drop a knife and it cracks an aluminum scale? I’m just screwed on the Lifetime warranty because the model is discontinued?

Their limited lifetime warranty also says- "Our warranty does not cover normal signs of wear and tear, cosmetic refurbishment, accidents, loss, or theft".

I don't think a knife company should be responsible for damage caused by an owner dropping a knife. Gravity is not a manufacturing defect.

I'd be very surprised if any knife maker would replace a knife, or fix it for free, because it suffered damage as a result of the owner dropping it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Microtech customer service. I have an old Ultratech Spartan that I used pretty hard for years. The blade is pretty beat up. I contacted them asking if I can get the blade replaced. Not asking for a warranty claim. Just two simple questions. Can I get the blade replaced? How much will it cost? Three emails and three very delayed replies. Each time they just gave me a return authorization number and a shipping address, nothing else. Sorry, but if you can't even give me two simple answers, that's just crappy customer service. I'm sure as hell not paying to ship the knife there just to hear they can't do anything, and now I need to pay again to ship it back.

Their limited lifetime warranty also says- "Our warranty does not cover normal signs of wear and tear, cosmetic refurbishment, accidents, loss, or theft".

I don't think a knife company should be responsible for damage caused by an owner dropping a knife. Gravity is not a manufacturing defect.

I'd be very surprised if any knife maker would replace a knife, or fix it for free, because it suffered damage as a result of the owner dropping it.
Note to self, don’t purchase a knife from killgar. 😂😂 Now I understand why you have such a strong opinion on their policy; it’s likely a policy similar to which you’ll apply your future work. I expect more from American Manufacturers, especially if they expect to be supported by the American economy

I expect more from American Manufacturers, especially if they expect to be supported by the American economy
Especially for what Microtech charges for their products. They can say whatever they want on their web site, the bottom line is they don’t fully back their products, many of which can be categorized as premium. This is not the first case I’ve heard of a customer being disappointed with their support; and for that reason I sold the one Microtech I had and won’t ever be buying another from any of their related brands.

Note to self, don’t purchase a knife from killgar. 😂😂 Now I understand why you have such a strong opinion on their policy; it’s likely a policy similar to which you’ll apply your future work. I expect more from American Manufacturers, especially if they expect to be supported by the American economy

If it's not in production anymore then it's somewhat understandable. How long have you owned the the knife and what solution were you expecting?

Most lifetime warranties cover only cover factory defects and don't account for user error. Granted their cost to replace parts is a lot cheaper than yours but I'm curious what you would have them do in this case.

You expect a company to warranty a knife that you dropped and broke, even though it clearly states in their warranty that they do not warranty accidents?

Cuz, that is the ridiculousness to which killgar was responding, and he's right. If you don't like the warranty of a product, don't buy. If you cry foul after the purchase, knowing full well the warranty, that is on you.

All this chest thumping flag waving and you expect the small American company to bear the burden for your mistakes? Yes, mistakes, plural, not understanding the warranty and accidentally breaking your own knife. It is those types of expectations that raise costs and put small shops on a razor budget out of business. Imagine if every person took advantage of such a situation or expected as you do.

There are companies that offer a warranty like you want, no, expect. Buy from them.

Well, since you mention it :)-

My warranty has been in effect since August of 2022, and no, it doesn't cover accidental damage caused by the owner.

I make and sell switchblades (when I'm in the mood to make them). I've sold several, none posted for sale on Bladeforums. Here is a segment of my limited lifetime warranty which I posted on Bladeforums back in 2022, and which I provide to all of my buyers before payment, in writing, regardless of how or where they buy from me-

Quote-

"If one of my knives should fail to function properly as a result of a defect in workmanship or design (in other words- if it's my fault), then I will either repair the knife free of charge, including paying all shipping, or, if it cannot be returned to perfectly functional condition, I will buy it back at the original agreed to sales price, including refunding all shipping. This is a lifetime warranty provided to the original buyer.

This warranty does NOT cover any malfunction resulting from abuse, misuse, modification, tampering, or damage caused to the knife by the buyer either intentionally or unintentionally".

-Unquote

Link- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...witchblade-conversions.1883963/#post-21372856

So far, I haven't had to buy any back, or even fix any. But after my buyers receive their knives, and inform me of their satisfaction, I remind them that the warranty is in full effect and that they should never hesitate to contact me with any questions or issues.

The happiness of my buyers is my highest priority, but there is only so much a warranty can realistically and reasonably cover. The fact is there are a lot of people who will bugger-up a knife, either trying to modify it, "fix" it, or by a ham-fisted attempt to disassemble/reassemble it, and then they expect the maker to give them a refund or a new knife (not saying the OP is one of them). And then there are countless unintentional circumstances that the maker cannot possibly be responsible for- like fire, natural disaster, dog chewing on it, and...the owner dropping it on a hard surface, to name a few.

A maker should take responsibility for defects in the knives they produce, but a buyer should take responsibility for any damage they cause as well, and not expect the maker to pay for it.

You expect a company to warranty a knife that you dropped and broke, even though it clearly states in their warranty that they do not warranty accidents?

Cuz, that is the ridiculousness to which killgar was responding, and he's right. If you don't like the warranty of a product, don't buy. If you cry foul after the purchase, knowing full well the warranty, that is on you.

All this chest thumping flag waving and you expect the small American company to bear the burden for your mistakes? Yes, mistakes, plural, not understanding the warranty and accidentally breaking your own knife. It is those types of expectations that raise costs and put small shops on a razor budget out of business. Imagine if every person took advantage of such a situation or expected as you do.

There are companies that offer a warranty like you want, no, expect. Buy from them.

:):thumbsup:

Insulting or Rude behavior
I see that you gentlemen are likely not actually using any of these products, and seem to be more collectors, in which case I’m sure such a piss poor customer service attitude, coupled with a no where close to “lifetime warranty” doesn’t bother you. I’m sure all your knives, are nice and pristine in a case. And that’s fine if that’s your gig. Some people like fat chicks too. 😂

But for the rest of us it’s more than important that we can count on a warranty to cover the tools being used day in and day out. We’re talking aluminum and M390 here people, stick to the knives in question. If I break a knife handle made from aluminum by dropping it, how do I know there wasn’t a defect in the machining to begin with? How am I to know all the handle screws have been set and torqued correctly if one falls out and disappears during normal use?

It sounds more like your warranty means

“ I think I did a really good job on your knife, but if you use it at all, or something is wrong with it I didn’t notice before I sold it, well good luck sucker!”

I’m sure you’ve gotten far though. With 0 feedback of all your customs….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back