Broken Swiss Champ ideas

Hello all, first time posting in this sub-forum so take it easy ;)

I recently picked up this Swiss Champ (early I think, no back hook) from a flea market, as can be seen in the images below the pliers are broken.

L7NwlXV.jpg

KHCWqHD.jpg

I'm not going to send it for repair.

The scales are messy too but I know that's an easy fix, I initially thought I'd take it apart & loose the pliers, then I wondered if I could maybe find replacements, anyone know?
Thought about if I could repurposed them? Even though about maybe loosing more layers?

Anybody have any alternative suggestions or ideas before I lay into it, I've had a smaller SAK apart before & made a few folders from scratch so with a bit of concentration I should be able to do it. Any warnings from those that have been before me...... :)

I'm currently in "Lockdown" living in Spain (I'm a Brit) so catching up on projects.

Stay safe everyone.
Thanks.

In the U.S., we pay postage one way to Connecticut. Victorinox fixes the knife and pays the return postage. Maybe you could send the knife to the factory service station at Schmiedgasse 57, 6438 Ibach SZ and get a similar deal.

remove the spring and keep
as a spare part.
saw off the pivot on that broken
plier, and refashion as a screwdriver.
awl or perhaps even in to a pointy spike.
don't forget a nail nick for access.
hmm...on second thought, would it be
possible to save that pivot hole
and mod into a tool bit holder??!
have fun over there!
stay safe
and good luck with the mod and repairs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, as for sending it for repair does anyone have an idea of cost? As I understand it it won't be covered under guarantee as surely this is misuse? So they would probably repair it but there would be a charge.
That was the reason I thought I'd do some else with it, it was cheap so I thought I'd have a play.

All I can tell you it that many layers makes for a lot of spring tension to fight when you go to put it back together. The first thing I would do is build a jig to hold the pins aligned. I've only managed to reassemble one Swiss Champ, and it was old enough to have the long file back tool. Have fun.

Take the picture and email about the repair service and cost, or disassemble the SAK and remove the pliers.

All I can tell you it that many layers makes for a lot of spring tension to fight when you go to put it back together. The first thing I would do is build a jig to hold the pins aligned. I've only managed to reassemble one Swiss Champ, and it was old enough to have the long file back tool. Have fun.

This is definitely true. You could make a disassembly jig by roughly estimating where the rivets are, and make a more accurate assembly jig once you have the SAK disassemble and use one of the liner as reference for the holes.

If you plan to reuse the rivet bushings and pins, definitely pay close attention when you are disassembling. There are few good videos on youtube about that, and I did write a pretty detail post about it in on MTO.

I have never been charged for repair or replacement of parts at the SAK service station stateside. I have not sent anything in recently, so I am not positive that the terms of service have not changed. It does not hurt to inquire about possible fees. An email with photo would not take long.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will contact the Victorinox repair & see what they come back with.
Maybe taking it apart, or should I say putting it back together is a bit more challenging than I anticipated, I'll see what the repair folks say & take it from there.
Will report back here whatever happens.

Thanks again all. :thumbsup:

I'm not going to send it for repair.
You should!

...I will contact the Victorinox repair ...

Nope! Contact COMERCIAL MUELA, because they are the Victorinox distributors here in Spain. They will ask you to send it in (to Madrid I guess) and they will fix it no problem. Just to be sure, don't mention you are not the original owner...

I sent a Vic SAK from one of my uncles which, somehow, came with a broken spring years and years ago and never got used. Well, I send it, they replace it for a brand new one. No questions asked.

I am from Spain as well (living in Bilbao). If you need any help, or need to talk to someone but you don't feel comfortable talking in Spanish to someone over the phone, let me know and I will make those calls or whatever for you.

Mikel

Thank you M Mikel_24 , I will do that.

I actually visited Muela near Ciudad Real a couple of years ago & went into the factory shop (while cycling down Spain!).

I'm nearly as far as it's possible to be from where you live in Spain, I live in the Malaga area.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

I'm nearly as far as it's possible to be from where you live in Spain, I live in the Malaga area.

Could be worse... you could live in Algeciras! LOL, not to mention Ceuta or Melilla.

Let us know when you get this issue straigthened up, I am sure Victorinox/Muela will fix it.

Mikel

Back