Broken USMC...Again!

you are right it is tough.mod/,love the kabars and beckers though.i have an older Ontario that's seems to be a good knife,it looks just like a kabar.

To me it's a little like the statement "home cooking". Doesn't answer the question, "who's home".

op why not give the swamp rat rodent 9 a try?
pricey but you only have to buy it once.
lifetime warranty against damage and all the things you're doing with your knives is covered.

Last edited:
Ka-Bar makes several good knives that will handle what the OP is doing for under $100, but the USMC and similar knives ain't them. Becker line, JAB Potbelly, LHB, zombie line; any of those would be a fine choice for that kind of work.

out of what you listed the large heavy bowie would be my vote for what he is using the knife for.
the only reason i suggested the rat was because its buy once cry once.
OP has had to buy 2 kabars and now maybe a 3rd because his chores void the kabar limited lifetime warranty.
i like alot of kabar's knives but the warranty is simply too stingy for the type of hard use that OP must rely on.

OK, what facts do you have? Mil Spec does not mean better just what the Gov't wanted. What is the steel made of and the hardness etc between the two?

I don't have that info buddy. Not sure anyone outside of the Sheffield factory actually does. I have one though, and I know loads of other who also do and I've never ever heard anyone mention any blade breakages. I have however seen broken branded knives all over google, pretty sure there's a few beckers there too.

Naturally there are more Beckers out being used than these mod knives, so more examples will be evident and I can't give a proper comparison.

However, this knife is an issued model for a militaries survival kit. Specifically designed to withstand British squaddies heavy handedness! Lol if you knew any of our boys you'd appreciate that little bit more.

If I had the cash I'd send you one as they are cheap over here, but I'm skint. If you do buy one do be sure to only buy a genuine modern one, not a fake or the older Wilkinson sword D model.check my picture for the right blade details and give the crude edge a proper sharpen with a little file then stones as they don't come properly sharpened!

I don't have that info buddy. Not sure anyone outside of the Sheffield factory actually does. I have one though, and I know loads of other who also do and I've never ever heard anyone mention any blade breakages. I have however seen broken branded knives all over google, pretty sure there's a few beckers there too.

Naturally there are more Beckers out being used than these mod knives, so more examples will be evident and I can't give a proper comparison.

However, this knife is an issued model for a militaries survival kit. Specifically designed to withstand British squaddies heavy handedness! Lol if you knew any of our boys you'd appreciate that little bit more.

If I had the cash I'd send you one as they are cheap over here, but I'm skint. If you do buy one do be sure to only buy a genuine modern one, not a fake or the older Wilkinson sword D model.check my picture for the right blade details and give the crude edge a proper sharpen with a little file then stones as they don't come properly sharpened!

I am a fan of Sheffield, England, knives. I have these two below and the steel is excellent.

British Commando Knife (Third Pattern), Fixed Knife, 6-7/8” Blade, 11.5” Length, Black Leather Sheath, Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knife. William Rodgers Sheffield designed the third pattern for the Fairbairn-Sykes knife.

British Navy Folding Knife, 3 Bladed, S010622, 30450, stainless steel, non-locking blade, metal loop, Sheffield, England
http://www.garrettwade.com/british-army-navy-knives/p/58B01.01/

BTY, my so called MIL-SPEC Army issue Beretta (92FS) 9mm pistol I carried in combat is OK. I can think of many civilian non Mil-Spec pistols I would rather have like the S&W M&P45 and or the Glock 21 (.45).

I actually have an issued two tool British army clasp knife from the 50's and it's still got the meanest back springs I own! Lol lovely bit of old history and the steel takes a nice edge.

Intact that knife is in transit to my dear American friend from here in England! Although not a collector I'm sure he'll appreciate the gesture as it's my favourite folding knife! :)

laptops dead ATM otherwiseid post an artsy picture of it..

I actually have an issued two tool British army clasp knife from the 50's and it's still got the meanest back springs I own! Lol lovely bit of old history and the steel takes a nice edge.

Intact that knife is in transit to my dear American friend from here in England! Although not a collector I'm sure he'll appreciate the gesture as it's my favourite folding knife! :)

You serve in the excellent British Army?

Camillus U.S. Army Pocket Knife - 1987
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-U-...808?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2584949480

This Army issue knife is the American version of your British Army/Navy Knife. Camillus was great and put the date on each knife. Sadly after 100 years they went out of business. Ontario Knife also makes them for the US Gov't.
http://ontarioknife.com/military-tactical/military-camp-knife/camp-knife-detail.html

BTY, my so called MIL-SPEC Army issue Beretta (92FS) 9mm pistol I carried in combat is OK. I can think of many civilian non Mil-Spec pistols I would rather have like the S&W M&P45 and or the Glock 21 (.45).

+1. I have to carry an M9 for my job. I'd settle for a proper safety on the M9 and to be allowed to carry one in the chamber and full mags. I'd also like some nights sights and a light rail, since I work nights.

+1. I have to carry an M9 for my job. I'd settle for a proper safety on the M9 and to be allowed to carry one in the chamber and full mags. I'd also like some nights sights and a light rail, since I work nights.

Buy made in USA Crimson LaserGrips for that M9. I had some in Afghanistan on my M9 on my last tour and they were excellent. They do not work outdoors well, but are great at night and inside any building with lights on in the day. I was able to back some fools down without pulling the trigger by putting that laser thru a vehicle window at night.:D I even send them to Crimson Trace a few years later to upgrade at half off and free batteries for life.
http://www.crimsontracelaser.com/beretta-c-17.html?osCsid=a7cd6ca6b29d2d6e727e397b2d12f33a

I liked my M9, until the slide cracked. It was an issue sidearm, and according to the armorer only had about 6k rounds through it. I wish I had a Sig at that point, or an HK MK23.

I liked my M9, until the slide cracked. It was an issue sidearm, and according to the armorer only had about 6k rounds through it. I wish I had a Sig at that point, or an HK MK23.

Mine would often fail to return to battery. A slight tap on the back of the slide and it was good, but Im glad I never had to fire it in combat. Mine was a backup weapon.

WWII Marines weren't trained in bushcraft. They were semi-rushed through basic training and promptly shipped off to the Pacific War. I doubt that any Marine even knew what batoning was, back then. The ka-bar knife simply wasn't designed to survive such abuse. "Utility" in 1942 meant cutting rope, slicing food, opening boxes and crates, prying, digging, opening rations, light chopping, and opening letters from home. :) We should use the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
IMHO, seventy years ago not as many young men needed to get training in "bushcraft". A lot more of them grew up with that sort of OJT than would today.

Camillus U.S. Army Pocket Knife - 1987
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-U-...808?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2584949480

This Army issue knife is the American version of your British Army/Navy Knife. Camillus was great and put the date on each knife. Sadly after 100 years they went out of business. Ontario Knife also makes them for the US Gov't.
http://ontarioknife.com/military-tactical/military-camp-knife/camp-knife-detail.html
No, that's no the same knife he's describing.

I Believe its the standard British clasp slipjoint knife with a marlin spike he is describing, if I am correct in My assumption..

No, that's no the same knife he's describing.

I Believe its the standard British clasp slipjoint knife with a marlin spike he is describing, if I am correct in My assumption..

I know its not the same. I was not trying to say it was a US copy. I was referring that the US military issued version of a "small stainless steel folding utility knife." The British issued the one he has and that they do sell in the USA in the link below?

British Navy Folding Knife, 3 Bladed, S010622, 30450, stainless steel, non-locking blade, metal loop, Sheffield, England
http://www.garrettwade.com/british-a...es/p/58B01.01/

I know its not the same. I was not trying to say it was a US copy. I was referring that the US military issued version of a "small stainless steel folding utility knife." The British issued the one he has and that they do sell in the USA in the link below?

http://www.garrettwade.com/british-a...es/p/58B01.01/
:thumbup:

Interesting to see a modern version, 'tis beefy

Back