Bronze Bladed Knives

I am curious if there are very many knife makers who make bronze blades. I tried searching "bronze blade," and not a whole lot came up.

If anyone could recommend some makers who do that sort of thing, I would really like to look at their work. Please feel free to post up some pictures of bronze blades if you have any.

I have seen Neil Burridge's website, and he does some really cool bronze swords, but not much for knives.

Im feeling the need for an ancient EDC.:D

Thanks for the help!

-Max

An antiquities dealer might sell an old roman bronze dagger. You could probably find one circa 200-250ad for around $500-$1000 dollars. Ottoman, and middle eastern blades sell for about that as well. Denarius; silver coins used as currency in ancient rome sell for $40-$1000 dollars plus. These coins weigh 3.33 grams on average. Most commonly dating back to 100ad-300ad.. Just FYI.

I've always wanted two denarius. One of Caracalla, and one of his less fortunate brother, who Caracalla had killed. Interesting story there... History is a beautiful interesting thing. Best of luck to you.

Are you looking for actual bronze metal work or the color of bronze? I have a knife by David Lemoine that has a beautiful copper/bronzed Damascus blade. It is heat colored. It is difficult to photograph to show the actual color of the blade but is stunning in person. I actually started a thread in the photography section of BF seeking advice on how to capture the actual bronzed color of the blade without getting this odd purple reflection. The blade is gold/bronze color. The guard is copper.

That knife looks awesome! The snakewood really looks nice with the metal pattern. :eek::thumbup::thumbup:

Why a bronze bladed knife? -I'd just like to give bronze a try. I have read that is gets plenty sharp, and I think it would be fun to own and use.

Im not looking for anything old, although I can definitely appreciate the history of antiques.

I suppose I could try making one with some sculpting wax, and sending the wax to a foundry for casting... Although I have read that bronze knives were work hardened, and I really do not know enough about that to wing-it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Oh, and Lorien, I am sure we would all love to see it!:)

I also would like to have a bronze knife, just for the historical nature. Thought about casting one myself.

Copper, brass, and bronze form a continuum. Varying alloyed elements can show subtle differences in use.

I am curious if there are very many knife makers who make bronze blades. I tried searching "bronze blade," and not a whole lot came up.

If anyone could recommend some makers who do that sort of thing, I would really like to look at their work. Please feel free to post up some pictures of bronze blades if you have any.

I have seen Neil Burridge's website, and he does some really cool bronze swords, but not much for knives.

Im feeling the need for an ancient EDC.:D

Thanks for the help!

-Max

theres a guy in the UK who specializes in bronze swords. his name is Neil Burridge., ive seen some videos of people reviewing his stuff, and it looks pretty good.

If only he was in Oregon, I would take one of his classes where he walks you through the entire process and you leave with a sword of your own. Who wouldn't want to do that?:D

The bronze of ancient times was a tin bronze .Tin percentage about 9 % though it varied . Yes they were cast and finally the edges were work hardened in many cases. The bronze age was replaced by the iron age [ not steel ] and the two had similar properties .
Hengelo, On swordforum look through the posts of Jeroen Zuiderwijk [Ancient Weapons forum] ,there is a large amount of info buy a man who learned ,and learned well how to make bronze swords.

Last edited:
Well, I've been chatting with Mecha, and it looks like there will be a little bronze EDC blade in the works.:D

Mad Science Forge doesn't afraid to forge anything!

MP8GNAU.jpg

7rFbyWG.jpg

H1JfzZr.jpg

rwsEUW4.jpg

This bronze bar stock is salvaged from a fishing vessel made in Seattle around 1908 1941 or so. It's likely tin bronze, like the blades of old. I learned to forge it while making sword hilt parts! :)

Last edited:
Whoa! Is there gonna be a WIP thread for the bronze knife? 'Cause that would be awesome!

I am really actually quite interested in what the performance of a bronze knife would be. As well as being interested to see what the process of making one is.

One nice alloy would be beryllium copper but DON"T do it beryllium is TOXIC !!

There are countless copper alloys, all beautiful. If this old ship bronze doesn't work, I have a few others that can be tried, plus an ace in the hole: Tungsten Copper, which is going to be used for the hilts on an upcoming round of swords, and which I have a sneaky suspicion could be like the bronze knife equivalent of "super steel," bahahahaha! :)

Thanks for pictures Mecha!

Im definitely interested to see how this bronze performs. I have no idea what to expect; especially sharpening maintenance. Ultra fine stone? Steel? Who knows? Coarse edge? Fine edge?

It is going to be fun. :D

Back