Brusletto Knife.

I saw the block of burlap micarta laying on some plastic on one of the pics, I just thought you used it to avoid the epoxydrenched burlap getting stucked to the vice.
Ahh, got ya. No, thats just protective plastic so you dont have to constantly deal with messy spills on the work surface. The plastic is not a factor in the knife handle making process.
There is no vice involved. The epoxy infused burlap stack is placed between two lengths of steel plate held together by C-clamps.

Does the two boards also get glued to the burlap, and if it does, is it easy to remove?

To me, this looks like a much easier method of making a good handle than trying to fit a wood or bone handle to a tang! And without the need of much tools. Thank you for the idea!
Easy to remove.

Its easier than making an improvised vacuum chamber from scratch, as has been the case with other projects. Next step is to buy a vacuum chamber for these projects.

Vacuum chamber pros and cons;
Pro; with a vacuum chamber you can make sure that the epoxy thoroughly soaks all the way through the burlap. This makes for a very strong handle impervious to most abuse and the elements.
Con; a sealed plastic bag vacuum chamber has to built from scratch every time for each project (Buying a dedicated vacuum chamber would eliminate this pesky step).

Making the epoxy soaked burlap handle with no vacuum chamber.
Pro; relatively fast and easy as opposed to the steps mentioned above.
Con; might have voids in the material. Has to have a protective surface (in this case its varnish) to prevent water or other fluids from seeping through voids in the epoxy soaked burlap.

Back