bruyere wood scales?

My reading says that is just a local word for Briar wood.

In which case, yes. Briar wood is dense, hard and well figured with good finishing qualities and good stabilty. The only issue is that the burls tend to be small, oddly shaped and contain bark pockets. I would personally advise against buying whole burls, and only go after it if someone is selling premilled blocks or scales.

I have used it for sgian dubh handles several times. I leave the natural burl edge on the end. I have also put it on a few folders.

Of course, it makes good pipes, too.

It stabilizes well but just a small weight gain.
If you can find a reputable supplier for pipe makers you can usually get good quality briar burl.
The pipe maker suppliers put it through a process that involves boiling or steaming followed by a couple years of slow drying with controlled humidity levels. (based on a discussion with an old briar burl supplier)
The pipemakers love it.

I have 5-6 briar burls and they are larger than a bowling ball but not by much. The biggest problem with them is that they grow underground and when sawing them......hitting rocks is going to happen. End of blade.....Ireally like the burl on a handle but cutting them is certainly problematic.

Back