Buck 105 steel

abey67

Gold Member
I have a 105 Buck knife and was wondering what type of steel Buck used in these knives. Is it the 420HC or some type of 440 steel? If any of you know, I would appreciate your comments. Keep em sharp!

Interesting You Mention The 105. I Just Cut My Finger With Mine Last Night. It Should Be 420hc.

I have a 105 Buck knife and was wondering what type of steel Buck used in these knives. Is it the 420HC or some type of 440 steel? If any of you know, I would appreciate your comments. Keep em sharp!

What exactly is stamped on the tang of your knife? The year of manufacture will determine the blade steel...
Good luck!

It really depends when it was made, could be 440C, 425M or 420HC. The tang stamp could help in determining the year of manufacture and the steel type.

It really depends when it was made, could be 440C, 425M or 420HC. The tang stamp could help in determining the year of manufacture and the steel type.

THATS WHY I'M GLAD THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE WHO PAY A LITTLE MORE ATTENTIO THEN I DO . I JUST ASSUMED IT WAS NEW.:eek:

All it has on the blade is Buck 105 U.S.A.. It has no other markings so I assume it was made sometime between the early 70's and early 80's. Does that help any?

All it has on the blade is Buck 105 U.S.A.. It has no other markings so I assume it was made sometime between the early 70's and early 80's. Does that help any?

Up to 1981 should be 440C, the 1981 to 1985 years will be 425 modified up to 1994 when the switch was made to 420HC.

Can the adverage person really tell the difference between those steels? I just got a 105 in the mail today I bought from another forum member, my only thought was this sure is a light knife.

Back