Buck 110 vs. Camillus Lockback #9 Which one is a better knife?

Hello,

Lately I have been leaning more and more towards traditional knives and I am thinking I want to get a folding hunter. I have 3 Buck knives in my collection already, which is why I have been looking at Camillus. Both use 420HC steel and both are hardened to Rc 58 or so, I think. But since I haven't used either of them I need your input on this. Thanks in advance for helping me make up my mind.

S.

Afraid I've only handled the Buck. Tough and stays sharp. My only worthwhile comment here would be that both are companies that you can trust, and neither are going to disappear, and both stand behind their products. I think this one can safely be decided on which you like better, you'll be taken care of either way.

Bos heat treat puts Buck way ahead. Plus, the Buck 110 is a classic knife in a way that the Camillus is not.

Add in the fact that Buck customer service is outstanding and the fact that you can "upgrade" a Buck 110 with a blade swap to ATS-34 or BG42 and the 110 is a no brainer IMO.

I just got my Buck 110 with the BG-42 blade upgrade from their custom shop. It is theeee sharpest knife I've ever seen from the factory. And the lock up is so tight, it feels like a solid piece of steel.

Well, there is that...
;)
I have a 112 in BG-42, and it is indeed a razor.

I have 110's, prefer the finger groove version. One with BG-42 and one with 420HC. I think so much of the BG-42 that I'm going to have the other one changed as well. Locks up lika bank vault.
Bob

Buck 110 all the way. I bought an extra before I deployed to Iraq last year for no other reason than "just to make sure I had one available to me at all times". It was the first "name brand" knife I ever owned well over 20 years ago and I have made sure to allways have one around. Plus it will NEVER go out of style. There will always be a place and use for this knife.

I too would go with Buck, it´s the original and likely still the best. There are many copies, some good, some bad, I haven´t seen the Camillus, the ones I have are Puma and Schrade and they are very good.

I guess I would only choose diferent from Buck If I wanted a diferent size form the 110 or 112, like I have a cute little Schrade about 3 inches closed.

For fancy/better steel and handles Buck custom shop seems great.

Back