buck 112 25th Commemorative ?

Well out knife shopping today I come accross a buck 112 that said 25th commemorative. It had printing on the blade and I already forgot what I was going to try and remember about it.

I think it said on the blade 196?-198? and the box was unlike the current buck boxs for the 112. The box was half the length of the current style box, twice as high and gray.

I come accross this knife in a old gun shop and did not know if it was as old as it looked.

I think the blade had three lines

Buck
112> or 112< or 112L (could not tell for sure)
USA

They had the box, sheath and papers for it.
It looked like the oldest thing in the shop. It was all tarnished looking.

How old could this buck be?
What is something like this worth?

Thanks,

< 1986
> 1987
I don't know what the L would be could it be something else.

According to the old catalogs, the 112NK (Catalog #1398) was first offered in 1987, althougth the picture in the catalog shows a blade stamped with a "<" which is the year mark for 1986. (Keep in mind that the factory would use left over blades, or borrow blades from the next year when needed). The blade markings are to commemorate 25 years, 1963-1988, of Buck making the Folding Hunter, Model 110, and the Ranger, Model 112. Since 25 years is a Silver Anniversary, they used Nickel-Silver Bolsters along with the blade etch. In 1987 the suggested retail price was $45 if my math is correct. They were available in the catalogs until 1993 at which time the suggested retail was $57.

I'll leave someone more experienced at valuation try to give you an idea what it is worth today. ;)

Back