Buck 118V

Hello All,

My dad gave me his Buck knife. I was wondering if any of you could give me as much information on it as possible. I know that it was made in 1989 and that Buck does not make this knife anymore. I have some questions like what steel is it made of? Why don't they carry this model anymore? Why does it have the curved blade style? Does it have any collector value to it? I will never get rid of this knife. It means to much to me. I would like to someday pass it on to my son. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Mike

Mike,
The blade of your model 118 Personal has the 1989 symbol and the knife was said to be Hoyt Buck's personal favorite style, thus the name. It was discontinued a few years ago due to lagging sales, I suppose. I know one collector who specializes in the model 118 and he may be able to tell you more. If you email me, I will be glad to forward your email to him.

Taken from:

http://www.woodlandsworld.com/legends.asp:

According to C.J. Buck, "I know my great grandfather's favorite knife was the model that eventually became known as our #118, The Personal. It was named that because it was Hoyt's personal favorite." Describing the early version of The Personal, "It was small, sleek, and very versatile. It was equally at home with both big and small game, and it worked well with fish. I would bet that Hoyt's first knife was a crude version of that knife."
By the way, the standard steel used by Buck in 1989 was 425M.

Luis

Back