Buck 120 or Ka-Bar 1213

Hi.I'm Berkay.I'm a new member.My english is not good,sorry.
My question is Buck 120 or Ka-Bar 1213.
My purpose is to make it look good, but when I need help, he has to help me.So in short, he should serve me everywhere.Camping, hunting, protecting myself.I'd appreciate it if you explain it together with the reason.That's all for now....

THANKS.

KaBar is for combat Buck for hunting.

The KaBar has the full guard and the no glare finish. So it’s better for fighting.

You state that your purpose is to make it look good. The Buck is the better choice.

Welcome to the forum. Your English is fine.

KaBar is for combat Buck for hunting.

The KaBar has the full guard and the no glare finish. So it’s better for fighting.

You state that your purpose is to make it look good. The Buck is the better choice.

Welcome to the forum. Your English is fine.
Thank you for your answer.I'm a not soldier.Does buck do everything?The users say kabar's steel is better and the users say my choice must kabar.is it true?
Sorry for asking so many questions.This is knifes is expensive to me.

Then the 120 is perfect for you. The only problem I see is I very much prefer the KaBar sheath to the Buck one.

Thank you for your answer.I'm a not soldier.Does buck do everything?The users say kabar's steel is better and the users say my choice must kabar.is it true?
Sorry for asking so many questions.This is knifes is expensive to me.

I prefer the Kabar but will admit those Bucks are SLICEY! It's hollow grind and extremely sharp right out of the box. I've never had one rust and I have no real complaints other than the handles can get slippery and the blade rattles a bit in the sheath. The leather sheath is still really nice.

I prefer the Kabar because I love the kraton handles, the sheath retention, black blade and the history behind the company.

I use them as camping knives and I never baton with them and they are both awesome.

i kinda agree that buck is primarily a hunting
knife first and mainly because it is hollow
ground.
https://agrussell.com/knife-articles/blade-grinds
that generally makes it a better slicer
with less drag, not that the kabar can't
slice if you know what i mean :)
i wouldn't recommend heavy batoning
for either knife unless its a risk one is
willing to take for lack of options.
so "can rust" carbon steel always requires
somewhat more care especially around
salt water and extended in sheath storage.
but lets not take stain-less for granted either
though its less likely to rust overnight in the field.
sharpness and edge holding is how well the steel acts and wears upon the density
of the object on which the knife's edge is being used upon. nothing which can't be fixed with a knife sharpening system.
both knife designs have quite similar
side profiles but blade geomatary for
actual cutting task differs.
given a chice, i would go for a kabar
if wood processing is the intended primary
use besides addressing the hypothetical sentry silencing solutions ;-)
just remember to carry the necessary
portable knife field maintainance kit.,
as in a diamond sharpener. if you"re
on the cheap outlook for affordable
med/fine grid diamond file or a small
flat stone or diamond lapping plate in
a hardware or kitchen cutlery store.

Last edited:
I prefer the Kabar but will admit those Bucks are SLICEY! It's hollow grind and extremely sharp right out of the box. I've never had one rust and I have no real complaints other than the handles can get slippery and the blade rattles a bit in the sheath. The leather sheath is still really nice.

I prefer the Kabar because I love the kraton handles, the sheath retention, black blade and the history behind the company.

I use them as camping knives and I never baton with them and they are both awesome.
Case does not matter to me.For me, stability is what matters.Do you have a Ka-Bar? How? Is it good?
And thank you for your answer.

i kinda agree that buck is primarily a hunting
knife first and mainly because it is hollow
ground.
https://agrussell.com/knife-articles/blade-grinds
that generally makes it a better slicer
with less drag, not that the kabar can't
slice if you know what i mean :)
i wouldn't recommend heavy batoning
for either knife unless its a risk one is
willing to take for lack of options.
so "can rust" carbon steel always requires
somewhat more care especially around
salt water and extended in sheath storage.
but lets not take stain-less for granted either
though its less likely to rust overnight in the field.
sharpness and edge holding is how well the steel acts and wears upon the density
of the object on which the knife's edge is being used upon. nothing which can't be fixed with a knife sharpening system.
both knife designs have quite similar
side profiles but blade geomatary for
actual cutting task differs.
given a chice, i would go for a kabar
if wood processing is the intended primary
use besides addressing the hypothetical sentry silencing solutions ;-)
just remember to carry the necessary
portable knife field maintainance kit.,
as in a diamond sharpener. if you"re
on the cheap outlook for affordable
med/fine grid diamond file or a small
flat stone or diamond lapping plate in
a hardware or kitchen cutlery store.
Thank you for your answer.I did not understand anything from the site.I would like to get Ka-Bar but the Buck design is very nice...
I just want my first knife to be special.

The 120 is a lot prettier, buck does a very nice finish on their knives. The kabar is a great all-purpose knife, but the 120 is good as well. If you want to hard use it I would recommend the 5160 version for the tougher steel. However, if you don't plan to chop or split wood with it then it should still hold up really well.

IMO, the kabar is ugly but it is very functional knife. Probably a better knife for "survival" but the 120 is generally a better slicer. Both can take a really nice edge and cut really well though. The 120 has a finer tip making it more fragile but also a lot better for piercing.

I have had both and I use to beat up the kabar as an inexpensive working knife (bought used) and the 120 is use a little but a lot prettier. Eveled mentioned the 119, and that's usually the buck I tend to use when I want a buck or a durable knife with a fine edge.

I'm so confused.This decision is very difficult.I just want my first knife to be special.

Don’t be confused. You are trying to pick from 2 great knives. They are very similar both are iconic American designs. Both are great. You cannot make a bad choice here.

One is more military the other more hunting. How do you see yourself? A warrior or a sportsman? Then go from there.

It’s your first. Not your last.

view

The 120,119,117,&102

Last edited:
Ahh eye candy!
Darn i was enjoying the thread then it came to the end.....
I have both and tend to agree the Buck is more Hunting/Sportsman and the K Bar more Survivalist/BadAss.
I boil it down to another thought. Buck is more a Gentleman's knife while the K Bar is Primal. Does that make any sense?
Example. I have fun using my Buck fixed blades to cut my steak at dinner time.
I don’t even entertain wiping out a K Bar fighting knife to to that task. lol

You make sense to me David. Like brothers from different Mothers. Lol.

I don’t have a single picture of my Kabar But lots of pictures of Bucks. That must say something.

I have a 119 and a 1211. The 119's handle is too slippery compared to the Ka-Bar's. I'd go with the Ka-Bar.

I do like the shorter 119 as i think the 120 appears too skinny at that longer length.
For that reason the 124 is my all time favorite because of the beefed up blade.
And it falls into both the hunting/sportsman and the survivalist category IMHO

Back