Buck 192, in the famous fonly testing ground.

So, after doing a few various reviews, I thought it was time to try out the Buck Vanguard Model 192. Buck's great looks, and fairly good 420hc made me think the test would have gone diffrently then it did. I was happy with the results to say the least. So here we go.

Now, alot of backyard testing can only produce so many outcomes, and The main thing I think a belt knife should be able to do is get a fire going, which is what I base my back yard testing on. The buck to my pleasnt surprise was no slouch, though its not a "top end" knife, its performed well considering.

Here is the pile of wood I wanted split up to make kindling for the fire.
p4300014xq0.jpg

Now, the pile of kindling.
p4300016pd8.jpg

After batoning that wood this is what surprized me, the 192 could still scrape hair off :confused:, cool huh? After batoning a couple sticks with the 110, it lost its shaving edge, not the 192. So I then proceded to whitle some shavings, and get some dry grass ready.
p4300018dw8.jpg

The next part of lighting the tinder I was pretty sure it was going to work fine. I know carbon works better for striking a ferro stick, but a well angled spine from a stainless knife works just as good. Which is where we are now, when I first got my 192, I figured IF I was going to cut my self with it, it was going to be
with the blade, but actually, I got a good sized slice from the spine of the knife! Really surprized me, as of course I've never had that happen, so It had no problem striking the ferro rod, a few swips and the tinder (dryer lint) went up real nice :D
p4300019sy2.jpg

p4300020ib6.jpg

Also that fire wasn't going well because I had a case of the wet woods.
p4300021fg7.jpg

After adding some charrcoal, I had a nice little spot to cook up some supper as well.
p4300023ed6.jpg

p4300024dp9.jpg

In the end the 192 had a little more edge retention than I thought it would. even though it would only scrpae hair off in the end, a few strokes over my jean shorts, and it was shaving OK again, not the best but it didn't scrape. I wouldn't fell bad about using this knife a little harded than a folder but not much, its still not the stongest knife, though it did perform admirably when it came to batoning, its obvious its not a good thing to do on a regular basis.

questions and comments welcome.

You know, you guys are gonna think im nutz, but I use a olympus Camedia D-575. Its uses Quicktime for video, 3.2 megapixel, and 3X optic zoom, not god like, but I think it works great, every single picture I've posted ever was taken by that camera.

Ill look for some "poster pictures" to show what its really capable of.

BTW, it gets great pictures with a tripod.

seems like it held up great, and it'd do what you'd expect for a belt knife... nice review thanks...

Thanks for the review. I have had a Vangaurd for a couple of years now, but I haven't really played with it too much. I carried it while deer hunting for the first part of a season, but stopped after gutting a deer with it. The blade was too wide for my taste to properly cut around the anus.

I thought it was time to try out the Buck Vanguard Model 192. Buck's great looks, and fairly good 420hc made me think the test would have gone diffrently then it did.

After batoning that wood this is what surprized me, the 192 could still scrape hair off :confused:, cool huh? After baton a couple sticks with the 110, it welcome.

Good review Fonly, I am not surprised at the edge holding of the 420HC.
Phil Wilson of Seamount knifeworks used to use it and still likes it but uses a lot of the CPM steels now. If I am not mistaken Cliff Stamp also likes this steel. This knife would be a real contender if it was full tang. The same would apply for the Cabela's (Bucks) Alaska Guide Alpha if it didn't have the gut hook. Perhaps they will someday. Good knives.

Nice work as always, Fonly. I can't believe you didn't chop through a cinder block with it! ;)

Great little review and pics Fonly but please don't keep showing food, I'm starving again now after seeing those dogs !!!

BAR-B-Q !!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, good looking knife but I was never attracted to buying one.

BAR-B-Q !!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Thanks for the review. I have had a Vangaurd for a couple of years now, but I haven't really played with it too much. I carried it while deer hunting for the first part of a season, but stopped after gutting a deer with it. The blade was too wide for my taste to properly cut around the anus.
šŸ˜‚ The anus

Back