Buck 503 Micarta vs Birch vs dymalux

austin37

Gold Member
Evening, how does the vintage micarta Buck scales compare in durability to the later Birch handles and then to modern day Dymalux Rosewood handles? Is the micarta the most water proof and environment resistant? Any chance of any of those handle materials shrinking over time or with use? Also, on the Brass vs stainless steel bolster 503- are they solid and part of frame similar to 110, able to be drilled and tapped if someone wanted to place a 503 on a keychain?

I always refer to my 503’s as having Nickel Silver “frames”.

I might be somewhat disappointed if I found out that the bolsters were a separate piece.

All Buck laminates are Birch based. Dymalux, Dymondwood, Fibron, Pakka etc are all trade names for resin impregnated Birch. Rosewood, Cherrywood, Cocobola etc are dye colors of the Birch. The "flat" non contoured handles like the pre Crelicam 110 will have a top laminate layer of actual Macassar Ebony but the base layers are still dyed Birch.

The resin impregnated Birches are highly plasticized and no longer behave like wood. They are basically water impervious and stable. They can be buffed & polished directly with no finish necessary.

I always refer to my 503’s as having Nickel Silver “frames”.
All the 500 series had stainless frames until sometime in the late 90's switching to Nickel Silver except the 500 Duke which continues to be Stainless.

Last edited:
So on a 112 & 110 they are referred to as front & rear bolsters but on the 500 series it’s referred to as a frame?

I refer to the bolsters and liners separately if I’m discussing them separately. For example, I might say “I can see the pin in the bolster”.

When people say that their 112 or 110 has brass or nickel silver bolsters, they aren’t wrong. They aren’t wrong if they call it a frame either. It comes down to which terminology they choose to use.

Back