Buck 560 thickness

I've been looking at the 560 models, and will likely soon spring for gently used one. I noticed that there are slimmer and wider versions that have different edge bevels. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they feel very different in the hand, if one is more or less desirable, harder to find, etc. Thanks in advance.

JT

I have 6 560 models and just got through measuring each one and there is a.062 difference through the 6 knives from .440 to .505. There is no difference to the feel. Just double check and make sure it has a 560 blade. I have seen them with everything under the sun. I have 3 186's and those are in the same dimensions without measuring the pocket clip. They have a more hefty feel in hand.

Thanks for measuring those, Joe. So .062 = 1/16 inch, sounds about right. Does your thicker ones have the edge route around the scales? I wasn't sure if the edge bevel makes it look thicker, or if it really was thicker. I think I read an older thread where someone said the beveled ones were thicker scales.

Anyway, I just purchased the one I've been eyeballing. It does have a 560 blade, dates to 1992, and looks unused. It was the only one out of all the decent ones I've looked at lately that has the edge cut, so it must be less common, maybe on the earlier ones. I think it looks a little more aesthetically pleasing with the cut, but I like them all. Glad to be getting my first 560.

JT

You are correct the 2 thicker ones measure over 1/2 inch and have, I wouldn't call it a bevel but an edge around the handle. The thinner ones have a thinner edge.The 2 thicker are + 1991 and the thinner ones are / 1993 and C 1995. I think I have that one in my watch list if it came from the Bay. They sure are nice knives, I have 2 black ones and 3 take apart 186's.I did take one apart just to see if I could put it back together and it was simple to reassemble.

Thanks again. Yes, that's the one. He finally accepted my 3rd offer, so I got it for a little less. You're correct, it's not really a bevel or even a chamfer ... maybe a corner route? I don't know, but it looks pretty cool.

Sounds like you have a good selection. I like the black ones too. I'm not crazy about the nylon sheath, but I suppose a leather 110 sheath would work.

JT

FD7CB287-6E12-4E78-A469-71433E543827.jpeg The top knife (186) is the earliest, is 1/2” thick, and has a stepped edge.
The second knife is the earlier 560, is 1/2” thick, and has a stepped edge.
The third knife is the later 560, is 7/16” thick, and has a chamfered edge.
The bottom knife is a modified later 560. I removed 1/32” from the inside of each handle slab. The new thickness is 3/8”.

"Stepped edge". There's the term I was looking for. Thanks TiGuy! and thanks for the photos and measurements. That's the info I was wondering about, and it makes Joe's measurement above right on. And I see the chamfered edge, like my small 526 has. It's a nice look, and I'm sure I'll want one of those next.

That's a nice looking group. Great idea of slimming that down from the inside, to save the chamfer. Looks like a damascus blade on top. I'll get a pic of mine in a few days when it arrives.

JT

B8CAC263-741B-4CB1-BD31-2BFBA7C17707.jpeg All of those knives have screws in the pivots so that the blades can be moved around. Here is a shot of the feather Damascus. The handle is anodized.

I don't have any of the what would you call them "speckled " knives that have a beveled edge. Ti-guy knows his stuff around the Titanium knives I always like reading what he has to say.

I just looked to see what I have saved in my watch list and I am glad to hear that you got it for a lower price. I see they call it crystal but I don't know what they added to the Titanium to get it that way I like to call it "speckled" and you were correct saying they have a bevel. I only have the earlier ones. Thinking about getting one that is speckled but I really don't need it. They are really shooting the prices up on all the Buck 110's and same.

It seems that I read in one of the older threads that the speckling was part of an anodizing process that the later titanium supplier used.

I read an interesting article comparing titanium to aluminum and steel, and it was pretty interesting. If I find it later when I get home, I'll post it, but it's likely stuff you guys already know anyway.

Yes, tiguy, has some cool Ti for sure.

JT

Well I know that anodizing is an electro - chemical process that changes the top layer of Titanium. I believe Tiguy should know and think he does it to his knives. I believe that he has his own shop listed under knife makers as Jag Custom Knives. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well I know that anodizing is an electro - chemical process that changes the top layer of Titanium. I believe Tiguy should know and think he does it to his knives. I believe that he has his own shop listed under knife makers as Jag Custom Knives. Correct me if I am wrong.
I don't know all the science behind it but it "alters the way the light reflects off it" I think it's said add a crystal layer to it.
Jag was a guy named Jared. Not Tiguy.
I am working on a 560 and will be andozing it blue and texturing the handles. Probably some filework, maybe like is on the 532. Then bolting it together with ti screws.

634FCE05-8801-4254-B452-3D127D7FBB45.jpeg The anodized coating on the 560’s reminds me of frost on a window. I am not sure how they did it. It is quite scratch resistant as are most anodized coatings because they are physically and chemically similar to ceramic materials.
The 186’s and 560’s have cast handles and have a bit of a “skin” on them. This makes them harder to get a uniform anodized coat on.See post 8 above. My son in law does my anodize work. Here is a picture of non-cast anodized handles.

Very nice. Yes I see how it's not completely uniform in the one above. Still looks nice.

What about the older ones with the stepped edge, like I'm soon getting? Are they just bare Ti, or coated is some manner? Do you know if there is there a good way to clean them, or polish out sheath scuffs?

JT

E9B6A822-5FFD-4366-A00F-AEF001B8ED36.jpeg The older 560’s were raw Titanium and had a skin. There are some strong chemical dips that remove old anodized coatings and prep the surface for a fresh anodized coat. It’s something like Whink. I would use sand paper to get a uniform scratch pattern.
I heard that the “Crystal” finish was discovered by accident. The same with the orange peel finish.

I wonder what the difference is between a 560 blade and a 110? I was with my Brother David at a pawn/gun shop in 2009 or so when he bought 3 new ones for around $100.00 . One was black and one crystal but they couldn't find the box for one of them. David was really excited and happy and I actually think that score calmed down his Buck fever for at least a week! He talked about and played with them all the way home lol!

The new / old (1992) 560 got here a couple of days early. It turns out the small scuffs just looked magnified in the high resolution photos. It doesn't need sanded, or even cleaned much. It's practically mint.

Out of curiosity, I weighed it on a crude canning scale to compare it to a couple of old 110s with solid ebony scales, and it seems to be around 2oz. lighter in weight. 5 compared to 7. It seemed to feel lighter than that. A 110 with laminated wood is probably 1/2 pound!

LcfxlhK.jpg

gTvrocg.jpg

Back