Buck 722 Spitfire Custom Shop and Limited Editions

In a moment of weakness, I picked up another S90V/CPM-154 one a couple of weeks ago. I had some sellers remorse for letting the last one go.
I really want to like this thing but the pocket clip is just horrible. If it had a deep carry clip, I'd get an orange g10 one from the custom shop and swap blades.
I just have too many better carrying options I guess.
The g10 is super light. I sometimes lose it by hanging it in my left pocket. What did you pay for the s90v... I've been on the lookout for one..

vZV4ZLFl.jpg
kWZuwXrl.jpg
ub2mFzrl.jpg

My black and gold G10 Spitfire.

The March '23 BOTM had me thinking that maybe I'd like to check out a Spitfire someday in the future. The 'bay delivered. I thought I'd fish for an inexpensive, used model just to see how it felt. I ended up with a custom shop model that came with an abused 284 for an unbelievably low bid. This one has definitely seen some light hammering, and there was a lot of gunk to clean, but it'll get a lot of use in the garden this summer.

And there's the engraving. In my mind, I read it as "I love you most always" and wonder how things ended.

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2701.jpeg

IMG_2702.jpeg

The March '23 BOTM had me thinking that maybe I'd like to check out a Spitfire someday in the future. The 'bay delivered. I thought I'd fish for an inexpensive, used model just to see how it felt. I ended up with a custom shop model that came with an abused 284 for an unbelievably low bid. This one has definitely seen some light hammering, and there was a lot of gunk to clean, but it'll get a lot of use in the garden this summer.

And there's the engraving. In my mind, I read it as "I love you most always" and wonder how things ended.

View attachment 2140039

View attachment 2140040

View attachment 2140041

I'm guessing this was an auction from one of those folks who buy TSA liquidation lots? I wouldn't expect someone who was given that knife to ever want to sell it, and like you, I wonder how it all worked out.

I can't bring myself to ever bid on a TSA lot. The horror! I'd hate t lose a knife because I forgot I had it. However, it is hard to believe there still are TSA knives because everyone should know not to bring one by now

However, it is hard to believe there still are TSA knives because everyone should know not to bring one by now
No kidding! I was just talking to one of my kids' teachers the other day and heard a TSA knife story. A few years back, the teacher lived in TX and was a chaperone on an 8th grade trip that involved a flight. One of the rancher kids woke up late, threw on some jeans from the floor, and rushed to the airport with his mom. When they got to TSA, the kid realized that he had his knife in his jeans. Somehow, he was able to get the knife back home (I think there was another parent involved, but the details were getting muddled for me) and just made the flight. I guess TSA knives are still a thing.

Last time I flew, I had a Vic Cadet in my checked luggage, and I was unreasonably nervous about it. No problems though.

No kidding! I was just talking to one of my kids' teachers the other day and heard a TSA knife story. A few years back, the teacher lived in TX and was a chaperone on an 8th grade trip that involved a flight. One of the rancher kids woke up late, threw on some jeans from the floor, and rushed to the airport with his mom. When they got to TSA, the kid realized that he had his knife in his jeans. Somehow, he was able to get the knife back home (I think there was another parent involved, but the details were getting muddled for me) and just made the flight. I guess TSA knives are still a thing.

Last time I flew, I had a Vic Cadet in my checked luggage, and I was unreasonably nervous about it. No problems though.

My job requires that I can leave on very short notice some times. There have been a few instances that I forgot what I had in my backpack as far as knives and tools. Tsa has always asked me if I could bring them out to my car or if they should confiscate it. ( this is a smaller airport).

I generally have not had a problem with checked baggage but have had one knife disappear. I would not fly with a knife that I would miss.

Last edited:
I heard about one guy who had a nice knife and went to the gift shop at the airport and bought a padded mailer and sent it home. Be sure to take a good look at the listings because once in a great while a very expensive Buck might be hiding. I bid on one that had one of the ultra rare USA Canoe in MOP S30V and 154 CMP blades? I want one but just don't want to pony up the three or four hundred they go for..

I heard about one guy who had a nice knife and went to the gift shop at the airport and bought a padded mailer and sent it home. Be sure to take a good look at the listings because once in a great while a very expensive Buck might be hiding. I bid on one that had one of the ultra rare USA Canoe in MOP S30V and 154 CMP blades? I want one but just don't want to pony up the three or four hundred they go for..
that's a great knife the canoe with 154cm and s30v blade. doesn't pjsjr pjsjr have one?

I don't know if this falls under the "Limited Editions" category. My kids just got their own BCCI Youth knives in the mail today. They weren't too impressed with my beat-up TSA Spitfire, but are super-stoked about their new, orange ones.

IMG_3652.jpegIMG_3654.jpeg

The BCCI Youth program was a lot of fun for the kids this year. It's the first time they'd done it, and I don't think it'll be the last. We really didn't know what to expect, and I can't emphasize enough how excited my kids were to pull this knife out of the mailbox.

On the merits, all of them got great knives. Smooth to open, rock-solid lockup, and simple to close.

Back