Buck Cross Lock Opening in pocket...

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Jeff,

A friend at work bought a Cross lock from me and when he goes to place it in his pocket the serrated blade opens up, he didn't notice that this happens until the other day as he pulled his knife out it caught on the inside cloth of his pocket and sliced a nice size hole in his pants! Luckily he didn't get cut, I think the ball bearing detent must not be strong enough to keep it in the handle? Now he doesn't carry it for fear of getting cut. Any comments on this?

Thanks,
G2

------------------
When a fellow says, "it ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
F. McKinney Hubbard

meltingpot.fortunecity.com/haiti/688

Ok,
Which config did he have? Was it a fully serrated sheepsfoot? Bead Blasted or polished blade? Carried tip up or down? Is there any blade play?
The detent does need posi engagement. The crosslock does not use a ball bearing press fitted in the liner, but rather it is formed in the fineblanking process. On the polished units such as the river rafter and the yatchsman, if the parts were over tumble polished, it can reduce the height of the detent. A bead blasted one could also be over-blasted, but probably not as easily. It definately shouldn't be weak enough to allow for opening during normal movement. I would think that if measured, we would find the height of the ball significantly reduced. A loose blade can contribute to less pressure between the blade and liner. A well-oiled crosslock will open with the flick of a wrist, but shouldn't pop that easy. (you shoulda seen all the flicking around here when we first came out with them, like kids with a new toy.
smile.gif
)
Well thats enough arm-chair troubleshooting. Give me a little more on the config, and have him send it to me for replacement. I could eval it and we would know for sure.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff "Without data it's just another opinion" Hubbard

Back