Buck Mayo TNT (172)

This is not a new knife so the review is untimely in that respect. However, the review is the result of extensive testing and experience so hopefully that will make up for the delay.

I've had this knife for several years. I can't remember exactly how many, perhaps 7 or so (at least 5). During that time, it has been my most consistently carried and used knife. It is and continues to be my EDC apart from work. Even today, after years on this board, it is preferred over everything else in my stable. I have recommended it countless times and continue to do so.

For those not familiar with the knife, it is a titanium handled framelock with a S30V blade. The knife is very light for its size (about 3" blade) due to both the Ti handles and many lightening holes drilled throughout the handles. Fit and finish is nearly perfect on my model. The closest complaint I could register is that the grind lines are not perfectly even, but the difference is so minuscule that I'm not going to fault the knife. The blade is not "perfectly" centered but 1) this is easily fixed, 2) could be the result of my own tinkering over the years, and 3) I'm not particular enough to care. Lockup is worry-free. The lock travel is about 25%, even after all this use. The detent is just right - not too strong, not too weak. In the time of ownership I've had one situation where the lock seemed to fail, but I firmly believe that was my error and not the knife's. Most likely I simply stopped at the detent.

The blade is a wonderful, useful shape. The S30V maintains a good edge. I have had no corrosion or chipping issues. The hole opener is a useful shape, albeit second to Spyderco's hole for efficiency. However, the knife does not have the pronounced hump to accommodate that larger hole, which allows the knife to have a slimmer profile. I have no complaints about opening. It is, IMO, much better than a thumb stud. I hate thumb studs so YMMV.

The clip is Ti, secured by two screws. It came tight and has stayed that way. It is the most secure pocket clip I have and I have no complaints. It carries low but is not difficult to grasp out of a pocket. I like low, discrete carry knives and wish a "waterfall" clip were available but not so much I'm willing to have one custom made.

The one thing about this knife I did not like is the horns on the handle, just before the blade. Yes, they are practical and help you keep your purchase on the knife. However, I found the horn on the front (lock) side to hurt my hand when I went into my front right pocket for my keys. 10 minutes with a dremel solved that problem. I left the horn on the rear as it is a good place for my thumb. It does not get in the way.

Overall I rate this knife as a 10 out of 10. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone interested in a knife of this genre (Ti, framelock, S30V). The competition is stiff (CRK Sebezena, Spyderco Sage II, Bradley Alias II) but the Buck Mayo TNT holds its own.

I remarked to my wife the other night a little disappointment with the knife. Our conversation went like this: me: "You know, I'm going to have to give one of the boys this knife. It shows no signs of wearing out." Her: "Why would you want it to wear out?" Me: "Well, I like it so much, what other excuse am I ever going to have to buy another knife?" Her: "Like you've ever needed an excuse." :thumbup:

Great review. I'd love a TNT but for now will have to settle for the budget steel version of the Buck Mayo framelock

That settles it, I’m getting one.

I just bought the small version of this knife, the Waimea, because I wanted a very small quality Ti-framelock and nobody else currently makes one. I have been totally impressed with the quality. The mechanics are smooth and precise, and the finish on the Ti is much more attractive than the usual CRK-Bradley-Spyderco stuff.

Right after this purchase, I saw a TNT at a brick and mortar and got to handle it. It also felt like a real quality piece. Had I not just bought the Waimea, I would have picked the TNT up.

These knives have one of the smoothest actions I’ve ever felt in a production knife, as smooth as many customs in fact.

I like the fact that the Buck/Mayo’s have a Paul Bos heat treat. CRK’s HT seems a bit soft to me. It sounds like you are happy with your blade after all these years.

I know what you mean about the stiff competition. I have a CRK and an Alias. However, they both seem rather unfinished and crude compared to the Buck/Mayo’s. The Buck/Mayo’s prove that Ti handles don’t have to look like they were just hacked out of a hunk of Ti and screwed together.

Thanks for the long term review.

I think you will enjoy the knife, bearcut.

Antonio, I haven't had the opportunity to review the steel models. Do you have it yet?

I must totally agree. I really like my Buck Mayo TNT.

I got mine used and abused for $40. The blade was not centered and one of the pivot screws could not be tightened, but it was totally functional. The turning screw had no effect on performance. The point was dull and the amount of time it took me to sharpen the point was a great testament to the heat treat. The spyderco ceramics were useless and even with DMT coarse hone, it took a long time. However, once I got the edge I wanted, the knife held it for a long time and required only a touch up with 1500 grit sandpaper or the fine ceramics on a sharpmaker.

I like the horns. For me they do not get in the way and give a distinctive look to the knife...makes it a Mayo. If Tom Mayo was taking orders, based upon the design of this production knife, I'd have one on order.

After a few years of hard use the ball detent fell out. I called Buck they said the detent was covered by warranty. I offered to pay for any additional work to put it "back in spec" but never mentioned any specific problems (such as the pivot screw). They fixed everything for free in 2 weeks. They put on a new lock slab, they fixed the pivot screw, put in new washers and gave me a brand new perfect edge, polished and cetered the blade. All for free. I basically got a knife back that is as "good as new" and even looks new. Many other companies charge for refurbishment. Many other companies take much longer than 2 weeks. Even though I offered to pay, Buck did it for free.

Don't buy a ti handled, S30V bladed knife w/o looking at a TNT first or you just may wind up paying too much money for an inferior product.

notos&w, pictures please! Also, how much did you pay for it and where did you purchase it from? Thanks.

Pics may be a long time in the coming but I'll see what I can do.

I paid $150 on ebay it was either NIB or LNIB (can't remember).

I have 5 new unused tnt 172 and 1 I use or “ carry “ is a better term . I started collecting the 172 and 171 buck mayos . Love them

Back