Buck/Mayo. What Can I Say, I was WRONG!!!

Im into high-end knives, either high-end production, or custom, and there are very few production knives that i think are any good, Chris Reeve is one of the few. I am a perfectionist, i crave perfect fit and finish, perfect function, and so few knives satisfy me, especially liner/framelocks because it seems like its nearly impossible for any maker, even custom makers, to turn them out with correctly fitted locks on a consistant basis.

I have handled a few real Mayos and liked them, theyre extremely well made, great design, when i heard the Buck version was coming out, i was VERY skeptical, in fact, i was just about positive it would be a pathetic Mayo look alike, i have seen some poorly made Buck knives. When someone in a thread said that when it comes out, they thought it might give the CR Sebenza a run for its money, i laughed out loud, because frankly, the Sebenza is, to me, one of the finest made knives out there, and that includes most customs i have seen. The Sebenza is remarkable not merely because of its fit and finish and attention to detail, but because of the incredible consistancy of quality, knife to knife. I hold the Sebenza to be one of the benchmarks of consistant, very high quality and precision in a folding knife.

So, in that thread, i believe i said something to the effect of: "Youre dreaming if you think Buck is going to make a knife a tenth as well made as a Sebenza." Of course i said it a little nicer than that, but you get the gist. :)

In any case, the Buck/Mayo came out and i pretty much ignored it. I briefly read some mediocre reviews of it in this forum, confirming what i expected, spotty QC and such.

Well, fast forward a few months to last week. I was at a knife dealer, he had just gotten in a batch of Buck/Mayos. So, naturally, i was interested to see just what they were like, fully expecting them to be garbage. Well, i guess you can see where im going with this, this knife is FANTASTIC!!! I can admit when im wrong, and boy, was i wrong! I realize that the one i examined and subsequently bought may be one of the "good" ones, there may be a few lemons out there, i dont really care, because this knife is absolutely PERFECT!!! I cannot believe I am saying this, but the quality of this knife does indeed rival that of a Sebenza, and trust me, it really pains me to admit it, publicly no less. I always thought that the Sebenza was well worth the price, and i still do, the Buck is not quite as refined, but it is awfully close, has a great design, and for literally HALF the price.

As you know, the BM has an S30V blade, heat treated by Paul Bos, cant go wrong there, Ti handles, also, hard to go wrong, so, quality materials. The action is SMOOTH, custom smooth. The blade was well ground, perfectly centered and SHARP. As sharp as any knife i have seen. The lock is thick and has perfect engagement, and i am VERY picky about lock engagement. There was literally ZERO blade play in any direction. The knife opens and closes with extreme smoothness and precision, very Sebenza-like. In fact, one of the great, overlooked joys of a well made folder, is when the ball detent is well done, and the knife closes that last tiny bit with authority and a satisfying "snick" and this one is as good as i have seen, maybe better than a Sebenza. Everything about the knife screams precision and quality, i simply cant find any fault with it, and i looked. Its light, thin, easy to carry, just perfect. I feel like i should go buy 3 more for the relatively cheap price they are currently selling for.

Yes, a real Mayo is a little smoother, a little more refined, but folks, a real Mayo will run you $800, these Bucks can be found for well under $200! Its truly the next best thing and a steal at the price they sell for.

Now, as i said, it could be that i got a good specimen, i know that these knives had some QC issues along the way, but if you do get a good one, it is an AMAZING knife for the price, in fact, its an amazing knife at any price. I love this knife, and no, i dont work for Buck, nor do i know Tom personally. :)

I just feel like i stumbled across a well kept secret and want others to benefit.

I still love the Sebenza, but this Buck/Mayo is an incredible value and you should check one out in person if you are able. And yes, i still want a real Mayo, but just to have one, not because i think there will be a big difference between them, and i never thought that was possible on a collaboration, and from Buck no less.

Good luck.

Damn me and my left handed ways :mad:. Oh well, I got a BM 921 coming in the mail :D.

Thanks for painting a better picture for us that don't have one yet.
I was skeptical about the buck/mayo, but after reading, this answers alot of questions I had.

:)

When I first saw the knife, I felt that it had the potential to come close to the Sebenza in quality, and as I have said earlier, those of us who got good ones can attest to the quality of the knife. My Buck/Mayo is the only factory knife that I use as EDC. I think that it is wonderful that a knife of this quality is available at price that makes it available to so many knifenuts.:) :D ;)

I'll have to take everyone else's word for the Buck/Mayo...Unless they come out with a sub 3" version. The Buck/Mayo in it's current guise is just a little too big for my EDC tastes.

Paul

It's definitely a knife I need to check "life". I've been meaning to do so.

Well, Joss is absolutely right, you do need to check the knife out in person if possible before buying it to make sure you get a perfect specimen, because apparently, there are some less than perfect ones out there. I just happened to get a truly perfect one, it was the first one i picked up actually, i guess i got lucky, and all i can promise is that if you get one like MINE, it is absolutely awesome, smooth as silk and so precise in its action and function it's mind boggling at the price, so, as Joss said, check it out in person, or, if you order it online, send it back until you get a good one. :)

It has become my favorite "bathroom" knife, and by that i mean that i always need something to do when "doing my duty" :) often i read a magazine, but equally often i bring a knife or 2 in there to open and close and inspect, and i just love the precision of this knife, so it has been my VERY close companion lately... :)

Well, now that I admitted my dark secret, i suppose if i ever sell it, ill have to give you all a special "bathroom" discount. :) Yeah right! Like i would sell this bad boy! :p

I suppose someone will start a new thread - What's the best EDP (Every Day Potty) knife? :rolleyes: :p

"Bathroom" knife, a new catagory. That is reason enough for me to buy a new knife. ;) I will have to check out the Buck/Mayo.

Megalobyte, that left a horrible image in my mind--maybe I'll have to stop reading the forums right before bedtime.

BTW, I do the same thing, and two weeks ago, with my very first Sebenza, I cut my thumb while sitting there. Luckily the tissue was very close by...

Megalobyte: It was realy refrishing to turn my computer on this morning and read this thread, I normaly dont respond to much enless it is a question directed to me about Heat Treating.BUT on this subject I had to, I know how hard everybody here at Buck Knives has worked on this project,Enginering, Q\C, Fabrication and Assembaly. Mr Paul Naranjo has worked day and night to get the detent and the lock up just right, And Jeff legerton is relentless when it comes to assembaly of the knife, And I cant forget Tom he is a good friend and a great knife maker. We know it is a production knife and there will be problems along the way,BUT we know Buck Knives will make them right. I also agree with you Sebenza is an Incredible knife built by an incredible knife maker, I am proud to call Chris Reeve a friend. Its nice to here good things about good people. Paul Bos

Thanks for the kinds words.

There have been a lot of folks working very hard on this knife and I have sent much of the criticism from the forum to those folks to capture improvement opportunities.

Paul sent this thread around with a "job well done".

I know, it is never "done" but you got to pick a moment and celebrate sometimes...

This knife, as well as the work we have done with Strider, has been a good testament to our commitment to our collaborations. The designers drive the boat...

After reading all the posts regarding the Buck/Mayo knife, I'm still not convinced that it would be worth the time and trouble of getting a Buck/Mayo. Don't get me wrong, I love the design and the looks of the knife, I'm just afraid I'll get a lemmon if I order it online. From the reviews I've read of the Buck/Mayo, it seems impressive and has even been compared to the all mighty Sebenza. What is the point of selling the Buck/Mayo if the Quality Control is crap? I never understood this concept because it only makes the company look bad. I'm asking a serious question, I'm not trying to put Buck Knives down. I guess I'll have to go to a local knife shop and handle one myself.

TKD, it is a basic rule of engineering, that new models tend to have a higher percentage of problems than older models. As far as I know, this is the first high end framelock made by Buck, and they have had to go through teething pains in getting the process under control. I think that Buck has done a decent job so far. Still, if you would feel
better getting one at a brick and mortar store, I don't blame you. It is your money and you should do want you need to in order to feel comfortyable with your purchase.

I agree, remember, Chris Reeve has had many years to refine the manufacturing process that yeilds what is perhaps the highest quality production folder available, you cant expect Buck to instantly get everything correct, as has been said countless times, it is actually very difficult to mass produce a frame/liner lock knife with consistantly good locks, it may take some time before the Buck/Mayo line has QC equal to CR, heck, who knows, it may never happen, but i tend to think it will, because i look at my knife and it is absolute perfection, so clearly the potential is there, the knife and company IS capable of perfect fit, finish and function, they just have to figure out how to do it every time, no easy task, but its possible.

I wonder if the newest batches are better than previous ones, as i said, i picked up the first one of a larger batch that had just arrived at the dealer, and it was perfect, i wonder what the next one would have been like, i have a feeling that the majority are like mine, but of course you'll hear more about the bad ones that surface.

Sure, its better to see it in person before buying it, but any internet dealer worth anything will replace it if its not working properly. So, i say, order one, if its not 100%, have them replace it, if that one also isnt good, well then get a refund and buy a Sebenza. :) I suspect though that most of them are like mine, which is to say an unbelievable knife for the price and you wont need, or want to send it back. I really think im going to buy at least one more, keep one as a mint toy to play with, one as a user.

Those thinking about the "buy and return until it's right or refund" scenario would do well to check the return policies of the internet dealers they are thinking about going to. Some will bang you for a 20% restocking fee. And also see how they will handle the cost of shipping while this search for perfection takes place.

Another satisfied customer here.

Over the past several years I have migrated from production folders to customs, but the Buck/Mayo caught my eye and I picked one up recently.

It is one of the best production folders I have owned, and certainly is comparable to the Sebenza. Super sharp, silky smooth opening/closing, and an outstanding implementation of the framelock. A great value for the quality of knife that you get.

I'm sure there were some early issues, but mine was perfect.

Back