Buck Stockman question

I picked up one of the newer 371 Buck Stockmans (made in China) at Walmart yesterday and was quite impressed at the quality of the knife for the money. So impressed that today I went out to look for a "made in USA" model 301 and examined several at a local Buck dealer in town. I didn't mind the black plastic scales on them, but they were definitely not what I expected. Unfortunately, every single one of the five 301 Stockmans I checked out had varying degrees of blade wobble in the open position and the backsprings seemed weak compared to the 371. Frankly, I was sorely disappointed and ended up buying a Buck Hilo instead. However, for those who have owned the American-made 301, is it normal for them to have such bladeplay? I would have expected better, but the China-made Buck Stockman seemed to be put together better than the USA-made Buck Stockman. What gives? :confused:

My 301 is tight, no blade play at all. But I was a little disappointed by the spring strength. I'm not too concerned about it closing on my finger, but it doesn't have the walk and talk that I expected. Still a pretty nice knife for the price though.

I have noticed some of those things on the USA 300 series at times, last fall I bought one that you couldn't open the Spey blade until the Sheepsfoot blade was opened first, Buck replaced it with one that is perfect.

I took a series of pictures of a 301 and a 371 together a few days ago, showing the subtle differences. I will try to get them posted tomorrow.

Thanks fellas. I wouldn't be too concerned with the strength of the springs on the models I examined as I found them to be acceptable, but the excessive bladeplay is what killed them for me. There are a couple of hardware stores in my area that carry the 301 so hopefully I can find one that's right. TLC, I'm looking forward to seeing your comparison pics.

Thats concerning to me. Blade play is not an issue I hear associated with the 300 series that often and you found a bunch of them like that. It sounds like a batch of bad ones got out and boy do I hate it when that happens.
By the way, the major reason we get the 300 series back today is because they are 30 something years old and the blades are plumb wore out!

The only Buck stockman that I have (and have seen) is the 701 because it is the only one that I have ever seen in Mexico, the ones that I've handled had very good fit and finish except for one with a little play on one bolster (slight rotation, I guess Buck doesn't use tommy pins). I like to hand pick any knife I buy over here because I don't want to hassle with getting them across the border if they're bad. I've had and used a half dozen Bucks (112, 422, 105, 119, 475 and 701) for some 30 years and they've always been great knives.

Luis

Cosmic Superchunk said:
TLC, I'm looking forward to seeing your comparison pics.

Rather than clog this thread up with pcitures, I am starting a new thread titled "Buck Stockmen Compared".

Joe Houser said:
Thats concerning to me. Blade play is not an issue I hear associated with the 300 series that often and you found a bunch of them like that. It sounds like a batch of bad ones got out and boy do I hate it when that happens.
By the way, the major reason we get the 300 series back today is because they are 30 something years old and the blades are plumb wore out!

Hi Joe, I did pick up a Buck 301 at a local hardware store yesterday and it has no bladeplay. The backspring doesn't feel as tight as the on the 371, but it's no big issue. It's a good pocketknife and I'm happy with it. The thought that a bad batch may have slipped through did cross my mind and incidentally, they all had a 2005 date code stamp.

Back