Buck/Strider Folders Review

J Hubbard

I'm starting my review of the items identified in this thread
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1988711#post1988711

I am reviewing both the 880 (Large) and 881 (small) folders

Early findings are that the taper seen on front end seems to be design related. The Shop is putting these together correctly. I've Identified improvements to this situation and also improvements related to action that I will be discussing with engineering to formulate a plan of action.

From your experience with these knives, is there anything else I should look into during my review.

Thank you

Jeff

Hrm...

I think maybe this is off track on your idea of "improvements," as I think you are asking for input on design flaw?

I can think of some design revisions that I would be pleased to see.

I would like to see a different locking method. From my experience (owning two different BS's), the tip of liner locks wear out over time, causing the indent to slide across the blade further and further. Do you see what I am saying? I never understood what actually bred the "linerlock," as to me, it kind of comes off as a poor design. But I'm no knifemaker, that's just my opinion. I've never worn out a lockback or an axis lock.

Other than that... Maybe put a thumbstud of both sides of the blade?

Hey, thanks a lot, you guys are great.

randy

Armchair knifemaker mode on
I think that titanium, while being light, isn't the most suitable material to use in any sort of friction-bearing surface.
Armchair knifemaker mode off

My Buck-Strider's lock wore down a bit, so that it now fits the blade's lock mating surface angle perfectly. The lock is engaging fully in the middle of the blade, so as long as I'm careful about not denting the stop pins, I still have some room for additional wear. I think that the lock will wear down much more slowly now that the entire mating surface is contacting the blade. The lock hasn't moved much farther to the right in many months now, so I guess you could say that my Buck-Strider is worn in now.

Jeff, are the stop pins (the frame pins) made of steel or titanium? They don't seem to be as hard as the ATS-34 blade.

The contacting surface of the liner lock of my 880sp has passed the middle of the blade a little, now a bit more near to the right. It will still have room to wear, but if the liner lock can be made from other materials that can last longer, that would be great.

Another thing: recently when I'm opening and closing it, I can feel the pivot pin moves. Though it's hard to see the movement, but if I put a finger on the pivot screw I can feel it.

Didn't get a chance to use mine before sending it off to Buck. But I did notice very rough finishing of the liners, especially on the back, and of the blade, specifically the thumbrest area.

All points noted.. Thank you..

Just ordered a sheet of washer material, should have it tomorrow, and then I need to get some washer protos lasered out.. I've got a handle on the taper, and need to try a couple different shapes of washer sets.. Then we can go forward long term..
Stop pins are 300 series..
Won't be changing from a liner lock or materials ...but we will be working the liner finger where it contacts the blade to get rid of sticky effect..
Noted on Cosmetics, although I have your knife on my desk Cargun, and don't see anything unusual..
Jeff

Yeah, it's not out of normal for the Buck/Striders from pics that I've seen, which is why I never mentioned it as something that needed fixing on my knife. But it does look rougher than other manufacturers of $100+ knives such as Benchmade and Spyderco, which is why it's something that you could consider improving on throughout the whole line.

Wanted to give you a big thanks for being so open asking for ideas to improve your products. That's awesome! :cool:

As I posted a month ago, I received a SB-1 that I bought from forumite RDT. He had done some modifications to it, but I have 2 comments on the unmodified parts.

1) It appears that the titanium liners are rougher on the edges than the titanium liners on my Benchmade AFCK, but I wouldn't call them rough on their own. Comparatively, they are rougher, but they aren't a problem at all. I just pulled out my knife and looked again: yep, just fine!

2) The only "flaw" in this knife is on the butt. On the titanium liners (both), there is a little pointy nub. It looks as if the liners were laser cut from a sheet, but were still attached to the sheet by a small 1mm bit, and so they were just "broken" out of the... I dunno what the technical term is, but the junk portion of the sheet of titanium. It looks just like a piece fom a plastic model kit. You know how the pieces are attached to plastic and you cut them from the plastic, or twist them out or whatever. but there is that little nub of plastic that you have to cut off with a hobby knife. So, long story short, that is the only "problem" with my Buck Strider.

I'll tell you, I was really impressed when I compared this knife with my AFCK. Everything is beefier. THicker liners, thicker stop pin, thicker scales... wow. Great job Buck and Mick and Duane! And Paul Bos too :)

That reminds me, I should have added these sentences that I was thinking...

I will be filing the nubs off. It will take me all fo 30 seconds to lock my knife in a vice and file them off. No biggie!

I don't know if this has happened to anybody else but my 880 has come open in my pocket several times.

Noted on the Nubs.. process is changed.. they will be removed..

Noted on cosmetics.. This knife is designed for durability not cosmetics, so it will be rougher looking than other similiarly priced products, but should perform much better.. (but those Tac guys like it rough.. :) )

...just used the file on my leatherman....
If I had a leatherman, I'd take a file (or maybe a hacksaw) to it too.. ;)

TacMedic,
You seem to have a bad detent. I would recommend it be sent in.. Could be ball-bearing is sitting too low.. No way this should open..

Jeff

Originally posted by J Hubbard

If I had a leatherman, I'd take a file (or maybe a hacksaw) to it too.. ;)

Jeff, if I am reading your "humor" correctly, you are sooo BAD!!!! :p ;) :p

And you think I'm warpped..... :D :eek: :D

Yes Dan you read the Humor correctly.. :cool:

I just got in my washer stock, so next week I will have some washers cut out to see if my ideas work.. Then we will implement the changes for the long term..

Jeff

Back