Buck Strider Mini Tactical 881 - wrinkles in top of blade

I recently purchased a Buck Strider mini spear point 881, and for the most part I am thrilled with this knife. However, after examining it closely I noticed the top of the ATS-34 blade (treated by Paul Bos) is covered in small wrinkles. At first I thought they were cracks, but now I don’t think they’re cracks. It might just be poorly machined? I’m really not sure. Can anyone offer any information regarding this finish -- is this normal? See the picture below.

http://www.mediadreamers.com/temp/buck_strider/buck_strider.jpg

Again, other than this, I couldn’t be happier with this knife. And who knows, maybe this is the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks,

I wouldn't worry about that at all. I believe that it is just roughly finished. There should be no functional problems there at all.

Enjoy your knife! I have a Full Sized Buck/Strider tanto, and I'd love a spearpoint to go with it.

Online, like Crayola says, there's nothing to worry about. The finish on the Buck/Striders is somewhat rough. What you see is marks left over from the machining or cutting of the blade. I have a full size spear point and it looks just the same.

Regards Jan

That's great to know, because other than this concern, this knife is awesome -- built like a tank. Thanks for your responses.

You might get some answers direct from the people at Buck if you post this question and photo in the Buck Forum. Both Joe Houser, Director of Consumer Relations, and Jeff Hubbard, Quality Control, are regulars over there and respond directly to stuff like this. With Buck having (IMHO) the best warranty and customer service department around, I'm sure they will offer to help if its a problem to you.

wow that's kind of awful. I agree that the BS's are sometimes roughly finished, but none of mine have ever looked like that before.

I would send it back to Buck, they'll make it pretty.

I wouldn't worry about it much, just seems to be roughly finished. I got a BS tanto and use it pretty hard, it will only get more marks and scratches as you use it anyway.

I don't really consider my Striders "safe queens."

Don't get me wrong, they're handsome, ultra-well built pieces that I'd well trust with my life if I had to, but they're lacking somewhat in refinement, and even true custom pieces by these awesome guys can have a little cosmetic irregularity here or there (i.e. a few tiny superficial pits in the blade steel, light-strikes on the logo/name stamps, etc.).

Striders, for me, are more artworks-in-motion and work. The more you beat them up, weirdly, the better they look.

:)

Sure, some may approach "art-knife" status in terms of specialized construction and artful design and would sit well in a museum, but they just inherently beg to be used.

As Mick Strider once said of the Tiger

"Looks great....."
"Cuts off heads."

:)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

That's character baby!

I think it looks pretty cool and it would add traction for your thumb.
Super smooth finish is not a priority on Striders.
But mine is a good bit smoother than that.
The liners are a little rougher but not that much.

I don't think its a problem

Back