Buddhism, Hindus, God, Fate and Khukuris

In the presence of intelligent members from a variety of professional and scientific backgrounds, we sure do talk a lot about the, "Right Home" for a khukuri.

The Khukuris themselves undergo a brief religious benediction before their journey home begins.

I've not only learned about knives in this forum, but about many spiritual ideas. The Khukuris seem inseperable from this.

A couple of Khukuris have slipped from my hands and gone elswhere. Yes, I do believe individuals are finding their right tools. I could even believe God pushes some along, and Karma dictates which goes to whom and why.

In my life, many perfect and beautiful things have come. I almost go out of my way to avoid them. I can walk into a Kmart and from a wall of boxes pull the one box with a defect. ( but then it turns into a blessing with the factory sending me replacements and learning more about the product.) Selecting knives here in HI is unique. I actually wonder about the reasons some of us recieve certain blades and not others. Magic??

For those members with great knowledge of God, from any path, I would like to learn more.
Why, for instance, am I drawn to orphan blades? (and firearms) Some people have said in my past I have bad Karma. I think that's screwy, because most people would not have lived through the path I was on. I think I'm a selfish hog, and too many good things come my way as it is.
Hog is a good word, for no matter how humbled by life I become, greed always makes me want just, 'one more' khukuri.

munk the hog

Obviously they need a good home, even the orphans, the shunned ones.

"I'm a selfish hog"--Have you ever read Ayn Rand? She wrote an article called the virtue of selfishness. Good stuff, basically says to be effective in life, you must help yourself first, then you can help others. If you do it the other way round, you end up being ineffectual.
This may be counter to some Buddhist philosophies, in which the center is the Void. The void is one of the most powerful expresions of all-ness and nothing-ness at once.

Food for grey matter. Mysteries provide drive, if we knew all of the answers, existence would be pointless.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

Karma is the greatest balancing act there is.

Before I understood it my karma was to receive wrong orders -- didn't matter where or what I ordered it would be wrong. I'd order a part for my GTO and would get a Chevy part. I'd go to McDonalds and order a couple of burgers with pickle, onion and mustard and I'd get a Big Mac. I'd order a size 16 shirt and get size 14. Same thing with vending machines. I'd put my money in and select what I wanted and get nothing.

Of course, this used to make me so angry I'd go crazy. I remember when I was working at Boeing. Me and another flight test engineer got stuck working Christmas day. In a plant that employed 38,000 people there was him, me and a few security people. Lunch time and the only thing available was vending machines. I scrounged thru every desk in the office appropriating nickles and dimes until I got enough to buy a two day old sandwich out of a machine. I put the money in and nothing came out. I grabbed the catsup and mustard bottles and squirted the coin slot full of these condiments and kicked a dent in the side of the machine.

Once I learned to control my anger I started getting correct orders and sometimes would get two or three for one out of the vending machines.

I may have pointed this out before, but humbled and humility come from the latin "humus" or fertile soil.

Some see humility as having the quality of teachability. Personally I prefer the fertile soil explanation and go even further to try to nurture and bring to full growth the seeds ( lessons ) planted in me by whatever/whomever is out there.

Richard J. Foster in Prayers From the Heart
ISBN 0-06-062847-2 page 3 cites the following:

BE THE GARDENER OF MY SOUL

Spirit of the Living God, be the Gardener of my soul. For so long I have been waiting, silent and still- experiencing a winter of the soul. But now in the strong name of Jesus Christ, I dare to ask:

Clear away the dead growth of the past,
Break up the hard clods of custom and routine,
Stir in the rich compost of vision and challenge,
Bury deep in my soul the implanted Word,
Cultivate and water and tend my heart,
Until new life buds and opens and flowers.

Amen

I'm not espousing any particular sect or religion, just saying the above strikes a chord in my soul and gives me vision for possibilities to pursue in the future. Marvelous imagery far as I'm concerned. Take or leave it as you wish.

My guru advised, "take what you can use and leave the rest." Good advice that's served me very well.

Reminds me of a good book I read, called Kodo: Ancient ways. It's a book on how to teach and learn, how those roles play out and even the student has opportunity to teach, and the teacher opportunity to learn. Excellent stuff.

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

(I pray that no one will be offended with religious themes. We shouldn't be worrying about seperation of church and state; we should let all in, not push everything out.)

I know inanimate objects aren't alive. I also know with God all things are possible. Try to put all that together, no wonder we are neurotic. The responsibility of a weapon becomes part of the owner. There is a place where it is no longer just a symbol.

I bet if everyone was honest, a lot of good men and women would admit to, 'magical thinking' regarding their cars, purses, knives, baseball mitt....

The Kami's know something. You don't bless a blade for nothing. There is more going on in this universe, Horatio. Those Kami's don't have time for just lip service. Why did many of us just pray for Bura and Bill?

The prose from Foster was great. He thinks like me, and you and you and you.

"Reminds me of a good book I read, called Kodo: Ancient ways. It's a book on how to teach and learn, how those roles play out and even the student has opportunity to teach, and the teacher opportunity to learn. Excellent stuff." Ferrous

Now this is a classic question. Everyone knows the Teacher is the student, but few teachers know it. (they forget)

When I was trying to get the hybrid m43 (just sold on today's deal thread; me) the kids were screaming in the house. I said:

"Why do you always open up a problem first by shrieking?" My little sons looked at me. "Is it because I yell too much? Are you copying me?" They continued gazing. "How would it be," I asked them, "if I stopped some of the yelling, right off the bat, I mean? Would that help you?"

The five year old is quick to seize opportunity. "Yeah!"

"So, it's OK with you if I grow up too, along with you?"
I laughed aloud and they joined in.

No, I'm not a modern parent who has allowed the kids to run the show; but I do accept being humbled.

munk

Bill's stint with the vending machine is beyond sit-com and pulp fiction. You couldn't write that. No one would believe it.

munk

I, on the other hand have met Uncle face to face several times and have no problem believing he would squirt katsup and mustard into a vending machine slot.

But then again, I wrote a $210 dollar check to the Hawthorne Justice Court last Thursday as a result of being pissed off about something else and peeling rubber at the corner of 1st and A streets. Did I mention the County Courthouse sits across from 1st and A streets? And the Sheriff's Office? Or that I'm 52 years old and ought to know better?

vending machines and computers..something goes wrong, the company you paid money to provide a service or product didn't, and when you get them on the phone: "the computer did it, there's nothing we can do"

Yes, there is something you can do.

What, exactly, is the illegality of peeling rubber?

munk

Peeling rubber is "exhibition of acceleration", can't have the kiddos doing that now...

Rusty, that fine was bad, but at least you didn't write a bad check to the court like I did once. Got a speeding ticket in ND on vacation, got home to TX and wrote out a check right away and mailed it. Next day, go down to the bank and close out my account to move to college. "Any outstanding checks, sir?" "Nope"...

Luckily realized my mistake within a couple of days and fed-ex'd a money order. Started keeping a checkbook too :)

I'll have to confess that if I'd had a 20 inch AK with me when that vending machine cheated me out of the two day old sandwich for my Christmas dinner I'd have gotten the sandwich. But who knows? Maybe I'd have been poisoned and what seemed a curse was really a blessing.

Good stuff here.

Munk, when you break everything -- guns, knives, tools, rocks and even us -- down to the most common denominator it's all energy -- neutrons, protons, quarks, and maybe stuff we don't know about yet.

there's this blurb about how someday the theorectical physicists will arrive at a place of understanding the universe; and find many priests, monks and Holy men waiting there for them.

It means we are not seperate.

munk

You got me on that one...there's a hindu word for illusion, I almost want to say, manna, but that couldn't be it.

What do you mean it isn't real? Is anything?

asked grasshoppper,

munk

Originally posted by munk
You got me on that one...there's a hindu word for illusion, I almost want to say, manna, but that couldn't be it.

close - maya
--B.

You know beoram, if I hadn't recalled it from the Upanishads, at the least my bad memory could have redeemed itself from the George Harrison song, Beware of Darkness.

munk

Originally posted by munk
You know beoram, if I hadn't recalled it from the Upanishads, at the least my bad memory could have redeemed itself from the George Harrison song, Beware of Darkness.

munk

:D

I learn something great everyday and want to keep it that way always !!

Karma and spirituality are so amazing and when you realise there are more powers at work in the universe than meets the eye you're on the right track !!

Great post !!

Back