Buddy got a Traeger... what knife to gift him?

Velitrius here, Patron Saint of the Terrible Ironic Horde, Friend of the Friendless, bringing Hope to the Hopeless and Clues to the Clueless, et al, etc....

Like it says, buddy gets himself a Traeger smoker grill and is smoking the living daylights out of animals as we speak.

Of course, he has a drawer full of crap for butchering/slicing/boning or any of that kind of ilk that requires quality cutlery, but he's unarmed with this stuff...

So I want to get him some stuff that will slice Tri-Tip roasts, make nice portions of brisket, hack through some ribs here and there.... But he's not a knife knut like us, so I'd like to go inexpensive...

Thinking one of those Victorinox sets with the butcher knife, boning knife, paring knife and such. Local Marine Store has a set that looks to play the part. I'll try to post a link to what I think...

And give him a Ken Onion Worksharp machine to keep the stuff sharp. He's an electrician, so would probably like the plug-in option better than the Sharpmaker or such.

Please critique' my thinking on this matter, fellow Forumites. I await your wisdom.

-Vel

It's quite clear a beer scout would be the blade of choice.

Smoking is a low and slow process so having something refreshing while you wait is paramount.

Get one of those garbage modified cleavers that keep popping up on Facebook feeds, well mine anyway.

The cutting won't really change but he will feel like a boss doing it.

This sort of thing.

i have a Pallares 8 inch kitchen knife in stainless steel , i use it for grilling slicing and such. not flashy , but holds an edge , and makes easy work of vegetables as well. i stoned mine fairly convex from spine to edge bevel, so it slides in easy and smooth. i don't chop with it , it is to thin for that. perhaps a pallares cleaver would suit him?

The TOPS Frog Market Special is a decent choice for working with meat. The 5.25" 1095 blade is only 1/16" thick, which gives you plenty of flex for carving around the bone or preparing fish.

fms.jpg

Last edited:
Back