Recommendation? Budget fixed blade suggestion for a coworker

I was asked by coworker the other day what knife I would recommend for backpacking. He told me he wants something he can use fairly heavily (ie batoning) bit can also be used for cutting his dinner. I told him to get a hatchet and a small folder but he’s pretty adamant that he needs a knife for all of it. Who am I to judge? I’ve been doing a little research here and there but I figured I’d ask you guys what you would recommend.

The requirements I set for this are as follows:
Between 5-7 in blade length
Under to around $50
Blade steel should be fairly easy to sharpen and low maintenance

If anyone with more knowledge finds any of these requirements to be insufficient or over kill, please enlighten me. This is a learning experience for me as well as helping a friend.

Thanks for all you guys’ help.

Varusteleka Jakkaaripuukko.
Green River fish knife
Schrade SCHF42
Condor Bushlore
Condor Kephart
Mora Kansbol

Buck 119
USMC Kabar
Old Hickory 7” butcher knife

Last edited:
I was going to suggest an S1 or A1... but that's waaaaaaaaaay above the budget.

Given the ease of sharpening required from a non-knife guy and budget. I guess you will have to stick to simple carbon steel blades. Which, in turn, goes agains the low maintenanc requirement unless coated (I would go with stainless).

Why don't you have a look at the Ontario Spec Plus knives? I bet you could find one there that suits your needs.

Anything from Ranger, ESSE, TOPS, etc... is going to be a higher quality piece but with similar specs you will be looking at twice the money.

Mikel

For the price range, Ontario Spec Plus line too, the coworker ain't going to using it for dinner unless he means to dispatch and butcher it. Your initial impressions were correct, hatchet and a smaller knife. Would the Mora Garberg work or any of the heavier tang Moras? Lastly, ESEE 3 or 4? There are a few Ontario Rat 3s can be found in the secondary market.

Last edited:
You are correct, "one knife to do all" mentality isn't very smart.

Ontario Knife co. 499 military survival knife.

Tough, handles abuse well, won't break when he beats it with a stick, sharpens easily enough, looks like a rugged survival knife, has great warranty, and your friend can buy one for avoid $40-ish at Wally World.

Condor bushlore would be a bit better but it's just over the $50 limit.

Condor Kephart is a bit thin to baton, and is my personal go-to woods fixed blade, but I pair it with a $19 Vaughn rigger's hatchet.

Cold Steel SRK? Current SK-5 carbon version can be had for $40-$50. It has a black coating that will help with corrosion. Could also look for the previous AUS8 stainless version on the secondary market, but not sure what they go for.

Another thought, no experience with it, would the Buck
Selkirk be a good choice? Or a Becker tweener.

Kabar BK-5 is the closest thing you'll come to a "do-it-all" knife, easy to maintain, and for the most part, reasonably priced...

Keep in mind...mi you only bring one knife ..no axe, no saw,...and you beat it with a stick...
You have a seriously flawed game plan.

It would be helpful to know what your friend means by "backpacking". It's a big term with lots of different meanings.

If it means walking in a mile or two into the woods, setting up a camp and then hanging out by a fire for a couple of nights, then a hatchet and/or a bigger knife for splitting wood along with a folding saw make a lot of sense. This approach makes sense for canoe camping too. Both assume fires and wood harvesting are allowed and make sense where they want to go.

If your friend's goal is to use modern backpacking gear and to go from point A to point B over a series of days, then it's worth noting that nearly all people who complete the long distance trails like the AT, PCT and CDT use a one knife does all approach and that one knife is either a small SAK or a small folder. Modern backpacking gear essentially eliminates the need for making fires.

If your friend is more interested in A -> B backpacking but wants to carry a fixed blade and to make occasional fires where allowed, I would recommend a LIGHT fixed blade in the 4" to 5" range. Either the Mora Classic or Mora Companion are plenty of knife and will easily split out kindling so long as the user doesn't force the knife through crazy knots. If fires are frequent and depending on the local wood supplies, I also recommend a small folding saw like the Opinel (light) or Silky saws (more effective but heavier).

Regardless of fixed blade, for A->B backpacking, I highly recommend the Leatherman Squirt PS4 for general repair work.

Mr Coworker could do with a "legendary blade" for all of the above task :)
Get a mora already!

Last edited:
Cold Steel SRK? Current SK-5 carbon version can be had for $40-$50. It has a black coating that will help with corrosion. Could also look for the previous AUS8 stainless version on the secondary market, but not sure what they go for.

My first thought as well. They run about $42-44 and shipping would put it $50.

You could try a folding saw (Corona or Bahco laplander) about $22 + Mora HD about $18 plus s/h.

I was asked by coworker the other day what knife I would recommend for backpacking. He told me he wants something he can use fairly heavily (ie batoning) bit can also be used for cutting his dinner. I told him to get a hatchet and a small folder but he’s pretty adamant that he needs a knife for all of it. Who am I to judge? I’ve been doing a little research here and there but I figured I’d ask you guys what you would recommend.

The requirements I set for this are as follows:
Under to around $50

If anyone with more knowledge finds any of these requirements to be insufficient or over kill, please enlighten me. This is a learning experience for me as well as helping a friend.

Thanks for all you guys’ help.
If his battoning is limited to small bits of kindling he will do VERY well with the Mora 510. I've put it through a fair amount of abuse with wood this way, even going after wood it had NO right to split. The handles are unalterably fixed to the blades in the 510. They are light and easy to pack. They sharpen easily. They don't rust quickly but pick up a nice patina. And they're cheap.

Also in the cheap category, just as durable, larger, almost as light, but with a less impressive steel, but very stainless, I'd recommend the Cold Steel Outdoorsman Lite. It's a very tough knife and can handle even more battoning.

These are what I'd choose if I were back in my "every ounce counts" backpacking days and I simply HAD to carry a fixed blade.

Oh, and if violent abuse is in the cards, yes, he MUST have a Mora Robust. But I think for $50 he might be able to buy all three and then choose which he likes best.

Zieg

Last edited:
I have the Jaakaripuuko from Finland and think it is one of the best values out there. The 140mm is the length you want but I prefer the 110mm. The Mora Companion HD is a great choice also, which I also have. These knives punch way above their weight. The Ontario line are a great value also.

I would look at the Mora Companion and current Schrade fixed blades myself with this budget in mind.

Under to around $50

Schrade SCHF Series, has several choices in that size/price range in 1095 carbon
Cold Steel SRK in SK5, Extremely lightweight, great backpacking blade
Ontario SP1 or SP2

Back