Budget performance knives? BD1N, PSF27, Nitro-V?

What does everyone think of the various "budget steels" that are actually pretty decent performance wise?

I've only used Nitro-V once and had good results. I have yet to try the new HT. I have heard really great things about it.

I havent been able to find PSF27 to test yet, but someday I'd like to mess with it for some small hunters. I know it's just spray formed D2. But with good HT it can really shine and it's bot going to be super hard to grind like other "super steels."

As for BD1N I have no experience with it. I saw the preorder for the Para3. It has BD1N, and less than 100 bucks!!!! Supposed to be a fine grained stainless from what little I have heard.

What's everyone think.
Feel free to add other budget steels I missed

Do they offer 14C28N? I have really enjoyed that steel in use and sharpening! Should also be really cheap!

Of those, I only have BD1N and it is in a gyuto at a stated 63HRC. I really like it. Like so many steels, I think the letters only mean so much if the heat treating isn't done well enough to get the most out of the given steel.

@DeadboxHero is also very fond of the stuff and likes to lay the angles back.

Last edited:
What does everyone think of the various "budget steels" that are actually pretty decent performance wise?

I've only used Nitro-V once and had good results. I have yet to try the new HT. I have heard really great things about it.

I havent been able to find PSF27 to test yet, but someday I'd like to mess with it for some small hunters. I know it's just spray formed D2. But with good HT it can really shine and it's bot going to be super hard to grind like other "super steels."

As for BD1N I have no experience with it. I saw the preorder for the Para3. It has BD1N, and less than 100 bucks!!!! Supposed to be a fine grained stainless from what little I have heard.

What's everyone think.
Feel free to add other budget steels I missed
They are amazing with the use of cryo deep freeze with a good heat treatment. Most budget knives skip that step.

Got a Manly knives wasp in 12c27 just today. And they use cryo on all there steels with super cheap prices. Same with bos ht with buck knives. Making really great budget purchases.

Independent tests show it makes a large difference.

if you like non-stainless, then 80crv2 is a great budget steel ... I still wish they had a version with a bit more vanadium to form some v carbides, but the amount in 80crv2 really only helps grain refinement

I’m sure there’s a market for it. Not everyone can afford the prices some knives bring which leads to a smaller customer base. Offering a budget line of knives will open up a broader market and that is a good thing.
I like AEB-L, don’t know if it’s a budget steel. I’ve got some Kershaw folders with 14C28N and like the steel, a lot of knives are made in 01 also. 440C still sells.

I have not used bd1n but I have used nitro v and psf27. I think nitro v is ok but nothing amazing. I do not like the way it seems to take an edge. psf27 I like quite a bit. I am not sure how tough it is but I think it takes a good edge and holds it well.

I have a PSF27 Mule and it is a workhorse around the house. It is fairly easy to sharpen and stays rust free...I am sure the Spyderco HT helps but I do like it a little more than regular D2 and am thinking it would make a nice small hunter.

I’m really interested in BD1-N. I have a couple fixed blades in PSF27 and I really like it. Easy to field sharpen too on my pocket stone or sharpmaker.

I want to know where I can get budget knives with PSF27 and Nitro-V. I've heard great things about them and I want knives in them.

As for BD1N the cheapest knives you can get it in are Spyderco models, UKPK, Chicago, and Cat all come in BD1N now with plans to upgrade everything in BD1 to BD1N. Phenomenal steel, performs well above the price tag.

Not exactly super budget but the Bradford Guardian comes in nitro-v which I'm super intested in around $130 or so

Last edited:
Back