Building a shop

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Hey fellas and ladies

I'm in the purchasing phase of making a small cnc shop to make knives. I'm a cnc programmer/machinist by trade and have that end of what I'll need covered. I am humbly asking for opinions on the other parts of this shop that I'll need. Every part of the knives will be made in my shop, heat treatment will likely start at Peters but will eventually be done in house.

Hit me with suggestions on what equipment you think would be best for my shop. Feel free to ask questions if you need specific information to better offer a suggestion. Thank you in advance.

Make the shop twice as big as you think you need ... maybe three times as big.

CNC will only go so far, so you will have to still do a lot of knifemaking work.

A good belt grinder, disc grinder, surface grinder, drill press, metal and wood cutting bandsaws, welder, etc. are pretty much essential in a full time shop. The list is much larger, but that is a start. HT can be sent out.

Really need more info on what your making, and the process of said making to know what you will need. you forging? stock removal? trying to do as much as possible via CNC?

It's been pretty eye opening getting to see Caribou Knives set up near me. Their bread and butter is making knives for the food processing industry but also will make almost anything you want from carving tools, to mass produced blanks to custom knives. Their laser cutter is housed in a shipping container and their main shop is a converted detached garage. Main office is in the basement of the house. They have everything stored and organized and ready to go in as few steps as possible...both physically and process wise. I didn't get a close look at their sharpener but as far as I could see it was two belt grinders that overlapped and did both sides of the blade in one pull. Heat treat day is Wednesdays and they will HT for me too. Soooooo....I would say you also want to look into operations that have that process part of the game figured out too. Understanding how to be efficient and what tools make you efficient is important. I just spent 5 hours hand sanding imperfections on 4 knives I am making. I am no where near understanding efficiency at the moment!

Really need more info on what your making, and the process of said making to know what you will need. you forging? stock removal? trying to do as much as possible via CNC?
CNC will be used for as much as possible, 3D milling can do a lot but not everything. I'm looking for info on professional belt grinders and set ups and anything anyone has to add.

It's been pretty eye opening getting to see Caribou Knives set up near me. Their bread and butter is making knives for the food processing industry but also will make almost anything you want from carving tools, to mass produced blanks to custom knives. Their laser cutter is housed in a shipping container and their main shop is a converted detached garage. Main office is in the basement of the house. They have everything stored and organized and ready to go in as few steps as possible...both physically and process wise. I didn't get a close look at their sharpener but as far as I could see it was two belt grinders that overlapped and did both sides of the blade in one pull. Heat treat day is Wednesdays and they will HT for me too. Soooooo....I would say you also want to look into operations that have that process part of the game figured out too. Understanding how to be efficient and what tools make you efficient is important. I just spent 5 hours hand sanding imperfections on 4 knives I am making. I am no where near understanding efficiency at the moment!
I will check them out, and yea, streamlined processes take time to work out. Trying to learn as much as I can from anyone willing to bestow some knowledge to help shorten the time it takes to get there.

Maybe find someone with a water jet to blast out blanks so you can save on that. Water jet beats CNC mill for blasting out profiles blanks ready for cnc.
If I was investing for a full on shop I would look at the TW90 or Black Fox One grinders.
With a cnc mill and proper knowledge a surface grinder, drill and manual mill become secondary until you need to do something and the CNC is in the middle of a run, would have to have the fixture changed out, and you need it soon. So manual drill press or small knee mill would be awesome.

Also, full time machinist here, what machine you looking at?
Originally looking at haas because they are affordable, but some solid advice is steering me towards used mori seiki if I can find them. I spent a few years on a dmg mori and they are great, but expensive.

Thank you Stacy and everyone else for the advice

I run a Haas tm2p alot and it's a good machine. If you looked at it get the Renshaw set up. 100% worth it for setting tools, changing fixtures and dialing in 1 off parts.
The Mori machines are beasts but I haven't ran one for 20 years so my experience is limited. Remember, I'm sure you know, tooling cost as much as the machine in the long run. Especially for cutting blade steel. I would set back several thousand just for end mills and drills. Do you have a good tooling rep?
Also, are you planning to do this full time or just after work?

I run a Haas tm2p alot and it's a good machine. If you looked at it get the Renshaw set up. 100% worth it for setting tools, changing fixtures and dialing in 1 off parts.
The Mori machines are beasts but I haven't ran one for 20 years so my experience is limited. Remember, I'm sure you know, tooling cost as much as the machine in the long run. Especially for cutting blade steel. I would set back several thousand just for end mills and drills. Do you have a good tooling rep?
Also, are you planning to do this full time or just after work?
my last shop had 15 haas machines and they did good. Plus they have excellent service. Yea, tooling is very expensive, im glad i learned how to machine on the companies dime lol

I'll start off the shop doing shit on the weekends and after work and move to full time when everything is up and running and ready to produce.

There are a bunch of really too notch machines out there for knife makers.

In my opinion there are really two that rise above the rest. The TW-90 (https://traviswuertz.com/?product=tw-90-knife-grinder) and the Northridge tool grinder (http://www.northridgetool.com/).
I don't own either, I just can't justify the expense for a hobby. I have a Reeder (https://reederproducts.com/) which I think is an awesome grinder! There are lots of options out there for grinders. Just remember to buy the one that has ALL the features that you want/need (you want and need variable speed). Buy once, cry once, as they say!!

Last edited:
For a grinder go with Northridge tool.
Pricey but absolutely the best.
They run about 4k fully loaded. But worth every penny.

I remember you talking about this previously and am stoked to hear you are back on it.

Do you plan on fully machining the blades from bar or plate stock? Or do you plan on getting blanks water jet to spec then doing final machining?

For a grinder go with Northridge tool.
Pricey but absolutely the best.
They run about 4k fully loaded. But worth every penny.

I remember you talking about this previously and am stoked to hear you are back on it.

Do you plan on fully machining the blades from bar or plate stock? Or do you plan on getting blanks water jet to spec then doing final machining?
Hey Colin glad to see you around! Hope you've been well.

I'll pick up a small water jet to do my own and then machine them. I want to keep as much as I can under my roof.

Hey Colin glad to see you around! Hope you've been well.

I'll pick up a small water jet to do my own and then machine them. I want to keep as much as I can under my roof.
Awesome. I'm sure they have some smaller units that would work well for that.

I've been great. Made a big move and some life changes!
Still working on how to move my shop. But it looks promising.

Also I still have that prototype for you. Once I'm up and grinding I'll get it ground.

Back