Bulldog Slipjoints

I got in a couple of German Bulldog slip joints last weekend, so I thought I’d give you all my initial impressions.

Both Bulldogs I received have stag handles. The stag handles on both knives are very appealing and match the opposing side. This has been a big deal to me since I purchased a Hen & Rooster a month or two back. The Hen & Rooster had stag handles, but greatly differing sides. One side was dark and heavily jigged; while the other was light colored and barely jigged whatsoever. Let’s just say that that the aesthetics of the Hen & Rooster were less than exemplary. I’m happy to say that my Bulldogs are simply gorgeous, with the greatest attention to detail. The stag slabs are beautifully jigged with nice dark grooves to contrast the lighter areas.

My new Bulldogs have carbon steel blades. Some people may not like carbon steel blades because of corrosion issues, but it’s hard to beat the ease of sharpening and edge holding of a good carbon steel. The Bulldogs, just like my Schrade Old Timers, did not come especially sharp. Actually, they were pretty darned dull. This is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to slip joints, but it’s something that I can live with. I had to profile the blades with the diamond hones of my Lansky, and then put on a final polished edge with my SharpMaker 204. Since the two knives have a total of five blades, this was a bit time consuming. Once I had gotten I final edge on them, they were extremely sharp. This level of sharpness was exactly what I expected from a carbon steel pocketknife, much again the same as my Schrade Old Timer.

I am very impressed by the “walk and talk” of the Bulldogs. The blades open and close easily, but have a good amount of snap. They close as forcefully as my large Old Timers, but maybe not as forcefully when opening. Either way, they are exceptionally smooth and easy to use. I should also note that the Bulldogs have a somewhat unusual nail nick. The top of the nick is a straight line, but the bottom of nick is a serrated pattern. Seeing that the top of the nick is what really does the work, the serrated pattern is just an artful way of decorating an otherwise ugly part of the blade. This just goes to show the attention to detail and beautiful styling that goes into a Bulldog knife. All in all, the finish of these knives is superb.

My favorite of the two models is the canoe pattern. This may be just because I’m new to canoe style pocketknives, but the looks and functionality are wonderful. The Bulldog canoe has large rounded bolsters and that great canoe shape. The shape of the bolster actually serves as a small finger recess for my forefinger, providing that little bit of extra grip when using the main blade. Because the main blade has a bit of a ricasso near the handle, you can actually grip the knife behind the bolster and have the ricasso hit your forefinger if the knife accidentally closes on you. I really like this feature as I do a lot of whittling with my slip joints. I’ve never had a slip joint close on me accidentally, but I hope I’m using this canoe if it ever does happen.

I’m not quite used to the fat spear point shape of the main blade, but I’m growing to like it. It acts much like a sheepsfoot, having a long flat edge, but with a somewhat pointy curved tip. This is an all-around good blade shape, and exceptionally useful for whittling. When I’m normally whittling, I’m always wishing I had a full sized sheepsfoot to take down flat strips of wood. The canoe’s spear point blade does just that, but leaves a wide tip for other useful cuts. The secondary blade is well thought out pen blade. I call this a pen blade because of its small size, but it’s actually pretty much the same shape of the main blade. The smaller blade is not as straight at the edge as the spear point, but has a tiny bit of belly to give it some extra cutting power. The secondary blade actually looks larger than is found on many canoe patterns, which I really like. I often find that many slip joints have blades that are too small for their handles, making it hard to control them. The small blade of the Bulldog canoe is small enough to be uniquely useful from the main blade, but large enough to provide control over my cuts. It seems like this knife was actually designed by someone who uses knives for a living.

Another thing I like about this canoe pattern is the way the blades close in parallel. I really don’t like the approach taken on most slip joints, with blades bent to fit into the handle. Bent blades always end up scratching the blades adjacent to them, and are a hassle to sharpen smoothly. Buck is the only company I know of that actual makes three blade slip joints with parallel blades. The Bulldog canoe only has two blades, but I’m willing to sacrifice a blade to get all of the other great features associated with my new canoe.

As I said before, this is my first canoe, so I’m not quite sure how other ones are made. The Bulldog utilizes a single back spring for both blades, which has some nice advantages. First off, it’s a simple design with less points of failure. Secondly, the design allows for wider overall blades with a minimum total width. My pockets sure appreciate this, with the canoe leaving less of an imprint than my larger stockmans. The only disadvantage that is readily noticeable to me is the fact that the designer must make a tradeoff in spring strength needed for both a large and small blade. It is true that I’d ultimately prefer a stronger spring on the main blade, and a less aggressive spring on the smaller blade, but I’m just nit picking. Both blades open and close well, with just a little too much tightness on the smaller blade. As far as I’m concerned, I’d rather have too strong a spring than too weak a one.

As for the second Bulldog knife, it’s a medium stockman. I can’t comment much on how well it works as my wife made off with it about five minutes after I opened the box. I guess that action speaks for itself. All I can say is that my cursory glance showed it to be as well crafted as the canoe. Maybe I’ll get some feedback from the wife once she gets to using it a little.

From start to finish, I have to say that the Bulldog canoe is a masterpiece. And at an Ebay price of $25.00, it’s a complete steal. The design grows more exciting the more I use it, especially as I begin to notice all of little things that add up to great knife. The attention to detail as far as aesthetics is quite refreshing after using many American made slip joints. I’ll make sure to add more comments after a couple weeks of extended use. I’ll be heading out this weekend for week of camping in the Adirondacks; so I bet this knife will get plenty of challenges thrown at it.

bulldog1.jpg

bulldog2.jpg

Hey Buzz, glad to see you like the Bulldogs. I find that they are of very good construction and materials, although some won't take much of an edge. Of all their knives, I like their big multi-blades the best. While I don't use them, I still appreciate their workmanship. I have four of these big beauties (one for each of my daughters :D ) all in red bone;

4 blade Canoe
5 blade Sowbelly
5 blade anniversary Trapper
6 blade Congress

I also really like the fact that the blades are forged and dated. They really are dirt cheap for the quality you get. You will no doubt find a higher quality slipjoint, just not one any better for the money. Maybe it is time to score the stag Copperhead, Trapper and Stockman I have had my eye on.

BTW, where are you headed camping this weekend?

I'll be camping in Newcomb, New York. It's right in the heart of the Adirondacks. My family has a hunting cabin there. We'll be staying in camp about half the time, and hiking into the Santanoni Preserve the rest. Fortunately, my wife loves the outdoors even more than I do. She went to forestry school, competed on her college's woodsman's team, and now works for NYS Parks & Recreation. It took me two tries, but I found the perfect wife this time. :)

The hiking should be a lot of fun. I'll be making my way back to the old Santanoni great camp, and doing a bit of lake trout fishing in Newcomb lake. I'll also be hooking up with one of the locals for a day, who has a secret bass fishing spot. This guy has some great spots. He took me to a special pike hole a couple years ago. We caught over 60 northerns in the course of an afternoon.

Oh yah. Knives. I'm really impressed with these Bulldogs. So you have some that won't take a good edge? Are these bad ones carbon steel, or do they also make stainless models with lesser steel? I'll have to search around for some of those models you listed. Some of them are packing a serious number of blades!!!!

A pedantic point and a question:

The serrated notch in the blade is a matchstriker pull, used ostensibly to light the strike-anywhere variety of matches. I've found that most of them are a little to rounded to work, though. It's also pretty decorative.

Did the Bulldogs you acquired have any blade wiggle when they're open? I handled a few in the 5-blade sowbelly pattern at a show, and every one had at least moderate side-to-side play, which is the reason I passed on them. I love that pattern, but the looseness is something I can't abide in a pocketknife. If I just got my hands on a bum batch, I'll have to give serious consideration to that brand in the future. That stag and shield combination on the canoe is gorgeous!

Enjoy your time in the woods. I'm going in a few weeks, but this heatwave in the city makes me wish it was sooner.

Thanks for the review, Buzzbait. I've been thinking about getting a stag, 2-blade, canoe for a while. Your write-up & great pictures may have just pushed me over the edge. ;)

Enjoy your Adirondack trip. That's a beautiful area of NYS. I'm heading up to our camp in the Catskills for a week beginning Friday. We should compare fishing stories when we're back. Can I take it from your screen name that you're a fellow top water fan?

Brian - I'm a huge topwater fan. Actually, I'm just a fishing fool in general. Smallmouth is my favorite game, but I also fish heavily for trout, largemouth, walleye and pike. So you're doing the Catskills? I just happen to live right on the edge of the Catskills. I live in Hudson, NY in Columbia County. It's some gorgeous country up in the Catskill Mountains!!!

KWG - Nope. Neither of my knives had any blade play on any of the blades whatsoever. They were absolutely perfect. So where will you be going in a few weeks? August is prime time for smallmouth in the Adirondacks. Once the crayfish hatch, all of the smallmouth come in shallow for a feeding frenzy!!!

Our camp is west of you in Sullivan Co. We're right on a small lake -- about 1-mile long, electric motors only -- with some excellent largemouth fishing & I intend to get in my share next week. :D

Buzzbait, Wow! Really beautiful knife! Slipjoints rule in the looks department.

Buzzbait, great review! It's refreshing to see a traditional slipjoint get a lengthy and intelligent examination around here. Nice pictures too! Have a great vacation.
John.

My experience mimics blademan's. I've had several Bulldogs of the carbon steel variety. Though outwardly attractive, I've never been satisfied with the edge as it came from the factory nor after my own attempts to improve upon it. (I showed the knives to some makers and purveyors who agreed with my assessment, for what it's worth.) I've given them all away as a result.

Maybe I just had bad luck but it seems unlikely since the knives were from different patterns purchased over a period of time.

Anyone know of a good online source for these?
Incidentally, that stag canoe is awesome! :eek:

The bulldog brand was and I think still is owned by Billie (Mrs. James) Parker and is distributed through Parker's Knife Collector Service in Chattanooga Tn.

The older bulldogs (with the two fighting bulldogs stamp) are considered to be very collectable. The newer ones although nice to look at, are not considered to be of the same level of quality as the older ones.

Don't know if they have a website but here is the last phone number I have for Parkers. 423-892-0448.

Excellent review, Buzzbait. Nice sounding knives, and certainly the pics demonstrate the good looks of the canoe. Nice pics.

I get Bulldog's catalogue. It's one of those where I look thru it, drool over everything with a pearl handle, then never quite get around to ordering one. Have only bought a couple slip joints since I "got into" knives, tho I love some patterns.

Am sure glad yours are of the quality you found. The other comments make me a little leary of trying one. Wish I liked the canoe pattern a bit more. Maybe I better learn to??

Great review. I may have to check the canoe pattern out for a whittler. I whittle a lot and never considered that pattern because of the wide blade, but your comments and insights have me re-thinking my stand. I will just have to get one and see how I like it. I have also considered the Bulldog brand but never tried any because I did not know about the quality of steel they use. Sounds good to me if it is comprable to Old Timer. I love Old Timers except for the delrin scales. These sound like a winner, thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by stab1

The older bulldogs (with the two fighting bulldogs stamp) are considered to be very collectable. The newer ones although nice to look at, are not considered to be of the same level of quality as the older ones.

What year did Bulldog switch over to the new stamp? Or, more specifically, what year do you consider to be the "cut-off" for the older/quality ones?

For those interested, you can usually find a huge assortment of Bulldogs on eBay. Some at very good prices.

Hey Buzzbait,
That is one seriously beautiful knife, and a great review. Some of the nicest stag I've ever seen.
Thanks!
I also collect slipjoints, mainly Trappers, and Bulldog is definitely on my list of next to buy. Might even get me one of them canoes too.
Lenny

Back