Bullet proof vest

I am looking to purchase a vest.. Advice on brand, what to look for.
Pics would be a plus!
Thanks!

A little more information would be useful. What for? What calibre do you need it to stop? Will the threat be just handguns or do you expect rifle rounds to be used? Does it need to be concealed under formal clothing, or can it be more bulky and worn over your jacket?

What do you need it for? If you are robbing a bank, I'd say you would need a full suit of armor with a flamethrower attachment.

LOL. I should have included where I work.. I have a shop in Brooklyn Park, which is about 2 miles from Brooklyn center where officer shot and killed the 20year old..
So it get pretty ugly here fast. We have a 7pm curfew tonight incase you guys missed the news..
I do not need to conceal it, just something that would stop mostly handguns and get me home during some wild riots, or incase I get into a shootout with the looting thugs.
I am really hoping we can keep this thread about body armor.

Last edited:
I haven't looked into body armor myself, but probably should. Like the OP, I would be interested in opinions, though I know gun forums would probably have more answers.

I live near Chicago, and occasionally have to go downtown for doctor's appointments. My hospital is right near where some of the looting has been. I will be carrying, and am not super worried, but it's a thought. I actually have to go there on Thursday, cancer follow up. Not looking forward to it.

I haven't looked into body armor myself, but probably should. Like the OP, I would be interested in opinions, though I know gun forums would probably have more answers.
I live near Chicago, and occasionally have to go downtown for doctor's appointments. My hospital is right near where some of the looting has been. I will be carrying, and am not super worried, but it's a thought. I actually have to go there on Thursday, cancer follow up. Not looking forward to it.

Hope all goes well at your follow up.

I used to live in Brooklyn Center, just off Hwy 100 and Humboldt. I get your concerns.

The first deciding factor, as others have mentioned, is what level of protection you are looking for. The most common soft armor for defense against handgun calibers is NIJ-rated level IIIA. This is the type you would most frequently see used for concealed vests or backpack inserts, with 10" x 12" being the standard plate size, capable of protecting the vital organs of most adults. Vest styles are varied, but generally, you buy the plates separate from the vest. (NIJ ratings are a topic leading down a deep rabbit hole, but basic categorize the different levels of protection.)

If you're concerned about rifle calibers, there are a lot of options, some definitely better than others. The highest level of protection is NIJ level IV, and (arguably) the best choice is some sort of ceramic plates. There are also level III+ and "special threat" plates, which are not technically NIJ rated, since the "plus" or "special" designations can vary by manufacturer, although they tend to imply some improvement over the base-level protection of another plate type. They can be made of ceramic, various synthetic materials or steel. NIJ level III has been around for years, and is also available in a variety of materials, but protects against fewer calibers, lower bullet velocities and (sometimes) fewer hits than newer types. You can find concealable vests that will accommodate any of these, but external plate carriers are the norm.

I'll just point out that there are key differences between the different armor plate materials, with cheaper plates being cheaper for a reason: material, weight, rating, etc. Steel plates are cheap, but they defeat bullets by causing the projectile to fragment and deflect (called "spall") which can then create harmful shrapnel. Ceramic and synthetic plates, as well as the soft IIIA plates, absorb the impact instead. All I can say beyond that is to spend a bit of time researching them, and understand that it can be tough separating marketing hype from solid info.

For what it's worth, I have an inexpensive concealable vest with level IIIA soft plates in my trunk, along with my GHB, first aid kit, tools, etc. This became standard procedure for me over the past year, because I still drive to various points around the Twin Cities and have seen some stuff go down where things could have gone out of control.

Thank you. I will check it out.

I used to live in Brooklyn Center, just off Hwy 100 and Humboldt. I get your concerns.

The first deciding factor, as others have mentioned, is what level of protection you are looking for. The most common soft armor for defense against handgun calibers is NIJ-rated level IIIA. This is the type you would most frequently see used for concealed vests or backpack inserts, with 10" x 12" being the standard plate size, capable of protecting the vital organs of most adults. Vest styles are varied, but generally, you buy the plates separate from the vest. (NIJ ratings are a topic leading down a deep rabbit hole, but basic categorize the different levels of protection.)

If you're concerned about rifle calibers, there are a lot of options, some definitely better than others. The highest level of protection is NIJ level IV, and (arguably) the best choice is some sort of ceramic plates. There are also level III+ and "special threat" plates, which are not technically NIJ rated, since the "plus" or "special" designations can vary by manufacturer, although they tend to imply some improvement over the base-level protection of another plate type. They can be made of ceramic, various synthetic materials or steel. NIJ level III has been around for years, and is also available in a variety of materials, but protects against fewer calibers, lower bullet velocities and (sometimes) fewer hits than newer types. You can find concealable vests that will accommodate any of these, but external plate carriers are the norm.

I'll just point out that there are key differences between the different armor plate materials, with cheaper plates being cheaper for a reason: material, weight, rating, etc. Steel plates are cheap, but they defeat bullets by causing the projectile to fragment and deflect (called "spall") which can then create harmful shrapnel. Ceramic and synthetic plates, as well as the soft IIIA plates, absorb the impact instead. All I can say beyond that is to spend a bit of time researching them, and understand that it can be tough separating marketing hype from solid info.

For what it's worth, I have an inexpensive concealable vest with level IIIA soft plates in my trunk, along with my GHB, first aid kit, tools, etc. This became standard procedure for me over the past year, because I still drive to various points around the Twin Cities and have seen some stuff go down where things could have gone out of control.

Things have definitely changed in the metro.
Thanks for the informative post.

To think that our great country has devolved into needing body armor to get home for work is a travesty.

Let us know what you end up getting.

I don't have any specific advise , but try to obtain something that you will actually use all the time when at risk .

Something that's comfortable enough that it doesn't get left at home .

Better a more modest level of protection that you will actually have on when it counts .

Back