BUNcha shop q's

Ok, i have some questions:

Question the first: I have this craftsman sander, 1x42 inch belt yadda yadda yadda,,,,,,, the question is, it also has an 8" disc, does anyone have one of these? i wanted to make it reversible, but how?????????

also, i want something to collect the dust, can an ordinary shop vac do this?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? or not. I was sanding and i really wanna get something asap

your advice is appreciated, thank you in advanced.

Aaron, your little Craftsman wouldn't be monetarily feasable to make it so it will reverse direction. Unless your motor will reverse simply by switching power leads, then you are talking about a motor change. In my opinion, you'd be better off with a bigger better machine if you need to spend your money. I have seen bigger stand-alone disc grinders that reverse, but they are few and far between now. Expensive too. Probably better to grind your blades on a belt-platen setup.

On the dust collection: Fein makes a great and quiet vacuum that is a pleasure to use in the shop. I do have a dust collection system, but I like to use the small vac on some things just because its quieter.

Jeff

i was thinking of using a small shop vac, small, cheap, does it do the same job?

Aaron,I have one as well as several others.I don't think it would be worth it to try to make that disc reversible.You could make a stand alone reversible disc sander cheap enough.I built a dual unit for under $150.Shop vacs are great and I have two BUT for wood only.Hot sparks mixing with the sawdust inside a shop vac equals fire.Place a container under your grinder when grinding steel to contain the mess.You can also use a bucket with some water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid(helps the steel particles settle).Hope this helps.Dave:)
Here's a pic of my dual setup:
fe56b611.jpg

Dc, i would probably empty the vacuum if i changed sanding media.

I like the look of your dual disc sanders, can you give me some details, anything importand i would need to know to make one??????????

DC KNIVES

Hi this is DaQo'tah

I like the look of the sander,,,I take it that one goes one way, and the other the other?

Could I ask to see "inside" the box...LOL

I would like to see how you did the belts or whatever you ran inside...

WELCOME,i use a shop that i built a box for to quite it down. also putting a pvc pipe to the botton of the cannister and acouple of inches of water. sorta like a tobacco water remones any fire threat. i run the vac hose under the bottom wheel as well as have a 5 gal, water bucket.

Thanks guys ,but nothing magical in there.I used two 1/2 hp motors 1725 rpm, both are reversible.Notice 4 switches.Top switches are on/off and the bottom ones are DPDT and switch direction of rotation.I used two simply because I had two motors and use different grits on each disc.The disc are available from Rob Frink at Beaumont Metalworks or Sheffields.I glued particle board, and micarta to my disc's.This helps with sound, vibration , and paper removal.They dust collector is simply a deep wood tray.Hope this helps.Dave:)

Back